Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2016, 16:49   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to Stuarth44
Re: New design build Ally 40 footer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Keen to see more details. Looks good, to you have any pics of the original version.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
http://www.yachtdomain.com/yachtdomain/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/robert-clark-10m/188720
Stuarth44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 16:49   #17

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

What a neat boat, someone got a real little expedition vessel cheap. Of course I like the dome!

Old 24-09-2016, 16:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
What a neat boat, someone got a real little expedition vessel cheap. Of course I like the dome!

Colin was a real sailor his brother Mike was America's Cup navigator and Peter Blake's navigator for numerous Whitbread races
Old 24-09-2016, 22:40   #19

With the sail Drive I can sit the big fuel tank over the Keel will be a mission The keel will we have to pressure tested with a manometer first and then fuel tank pressure tested by the same method 2/8 feet of head water pressure and that means pumping the tank full of air into the clear plastic loop so that the Water on one side of the loop Rise is 8 feet above the water on the other side There is no good text testing a tank with soapy water you may think it is tight but if you leave them in the tank overnight and the water in the clear hose the water should stay at a given level in the hose Of course I have the water tanks in the wrong place I must move them forward a little because classification societies do not allow one tank against another* they must be separated by a coffer Dam Which is ok because this becomes a bilge pump station
but I think it is 700 litres of fuel it is all good fun the idea is to fill it up with red diesel from a farm)at tank placing after settle engine detail
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fullscreen capture 25-Sep-16 30254 PM.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	131687  
Old 25-09-2016, 08:57   #20

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

Hello, Since it's been mentioned that draft is a concern, I'm wondering if you've considered using a swing keel, possibly hydraulic which could be locked in the down position in heavy weather. Thoughts , anyone ? Thanks in advance, Pappy
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:26   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Or the solution Ovni took with the ballast low in the hull and a centerboard that is light enough to raise manually.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 12:44   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Or the solution Ovni took with the ballast low in the hull and a centerboard that is light enough to raise manually.
Yes I know that both took that check with the Swinging Rudder 2
But really the draught is ok as it is I like my Bala slow down I want this to be the ultimate I mean I know everybody says ultimate but put it this way I want it to be a very very good boat in very extreme conditions such as the conditions you off and get off the coast of New Zealand when returning from the Pacific Islands or if you want to circumnavigate the Ovni is a very expensive boat what it is very popular I can see that but I don't like the way it slammed to Windward and it back any small seas it is very noisy
But when I was commercially building I would like to be a fraction of successful as they were in marketing they are doing very well just need a bit of competition
Said with a smile
Old 25-09-2016, 13:25   #23

sorry cant edit typos
for those interested
weights
shell 8mm 183kg
deck 6mm 320 kg
cabin cockpit etc 192 kg
Old 25-09-2016, 14:32   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuarth44 View Post
sorry cant edit typos
for those interested
weights
shell 8mm 183kg
deck 6mm 320 kg
cabin cockpit etc 192 kg
FWIW, it is possible to edit a post for a while after it has been posted. You click on the edit button that appears at the bottom of the post, and a writing box appears. Seek out and change the typo. Click on "save". I confess, I use it a lot!

Ann
Old 25-09-2016, 14:35   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuarth44 View Post
sorry cant edit typos
for those interested
weights
shell 8mm 183kg
deck 6mm 320 kg
cabin cockpit etc 192 kg
whoops read 1283 shell
Old 25-09-2016, 14:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
FWIW, it is possible to edit a post for a while after it has been posted. You click on the edit button that appears at the bottom of the post, and a writing box appears. Seek out and change the typo. Click on "save". I confess, I use it a lot!

Ann
hi Anne
are you near Maloolaba
my old NIMBUS 11 IS floating around SE QLD somewhere
I live in Buderim
if you are ever near we can pick you up tel 54561210
is your boat a JON SAYER
His dad was the worlds best ferro builder
Old 26-09-2016, 15:27   #27

had to shift tanks aft
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tanks moved2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	390.6 KB
ID:	131830  
Old 30-09-2016, 16:07   #28

ok went to inboard shaft 54 shp yanmar
comments on layout please
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	to cruise.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	132043  
Old 30-09-2016, 17:54   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Stuart,

Just a thought, but if you can place the water tanks under the cabin sole, then a lot of under the settee's area would become available for stowage.

Good on the shaft drive. Now, how about a Beta (Kubota) diesel , with parts availability from tractor supplies, instead of the Yanmar, with it's highly expensive parts structure?

Ann
Old 30-09-2016, 19:44   #30

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I've gotta say that I'm definitely a fan of flush foredecks, such as in this design. They make for a handy spot to put a hard dinghy. Not to mention being much easier to work on than climbing around on top of coach houses. Plus, having forward facing windows on the coach house, as in this design, makes for great visibility. Both at anchor, & when underway. So that one needn't always go on deck to do a cursory check of things, or for some types of navigating. Plus it makes it simple to lead the chain aft to a more central location, so as to get it out of the bow.

Such designs also have the perk of allowing some of the tankage to be put underneath of the cabin sole, in the part of the boat underneath of that aft coach house. And to be able to do so without giving up proper headroom inside. Quite the opposite really, as when done correctly, they raise one's height of eye up enough so that it's easy to see 360 degrees while standing inside of the cabin. So some of the older designs definitely had things right in this regard.

For fresh water tanks, I'm a fan of placing them underneath of a pair of pilot berths in boats of this size. You can fit ones which are 80gal+/- into a reasonable amount of space on each side. And in addition to giving you lots of water tankage capacity, they contribute greatly to a boat's stability. To the point where one can make the keel a bit shallower draft, or lighter, while still maintaining good righting moment. And extra Rm is quite handy in a boat designed to be a powerful sail carrier, as you stated in one of the initial posts on her in this thread.

Though when it comes to adding extra stability, I'm a fan of delta bulbs on fin keels. They put a lot of weight down low, while giving the boat a good flat surface on which to dry out. Are pretty hydrodynamically efficient when done right, & are fairly easy to construct, while leaving room to use the fin as a fuel tank.

I look forward to seeing how this boat evolves, & what she'll wind up looking like when she's "done". And it's always fun to watch a CNC laser do it's thing when it's plate cutting time. They're fun toys!

Edit: On the layout. Might it be possible to convert one of the aft cabins into a room with a dedicated work bench, including a vise. Along with built in shelves to provide for storage underneath. With stowed items to be organized in plastic bins (with lids), & milk crates, etc. Along with an oilskins locker with a built in dryer (from the engine).

Plus some dedicated storage for sails, spare running rigging, & an inflatible plus it's OB. I should think that with some proper racks, shelves, & bins, such a room would be invaluable in a cruiser. As other than in a charter boat, a 3rd stateroom is a bit unnecessary, & the space can be put to better use.
And before you ask, yes, I'm jealous of Skip Novak's setup in his boat Pelagic

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote