Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2014, 22:39   #1

New Boat Stories

So, after several months of shopping, we finally took delivery of or Hunter36. I've learned several lessons in the process, but in the end, very happy that we have the boat.

First step, getting it out of Lake Union (Seattle). Thankfully we had a friend who volunteered as a line handler. After successfully negotiating two drawbridges, we approached the lock only to see that we were the last of several others in the small lock. surprisingly enough, we pulled right in without incident (the online video helped).

As we departed the locks, we stopped at Shilshole for some diesel. Another excellent opportunity to practice maneuvering a new boat. The wind was picking up but once I navigated through several other boats (apparently they have a Skipper school there). Successfully pulled into the dock only to be told that I had inadvertently pulled up in front of the unleaded pump. A quick walk of the boat to the next pump.

Now following the fueling, we had a 20+ mile journey to Port Ludlow. Of course the wind was moving as if generated by our very destination. So, 3.5 hours later we approached our destination, still without sailing at all, we approached the port. Having never approached the port before, we took the Northerly rout around the rocks and headed into harbor.

The previous day, my wife and I had scouted our slip. We noted the width of the fairway with great pleasure. We observed that the boat in the adjacent slip was fairly narrow, leaving plenty of room for the initial approach. Now I am sure that many of you can identify with this, but for you others who, like me are just starting out, that fairway and slip gain a whole new aspect when filled with a 36 foot sailboat.

Lesson learned: lack of way = lack of maneuver. Add a wind against you and the boat becomes a singular entity of uncontrollable minimal momentum. Luckilly. I had done some studying and was able to safely adjust and to the predicament, and with the help of two volunteer line handlers, safely executed the docking.

Throughout the process, I learned three things:

1. I have a lot to learn.

2. I can do this after 30 years away from my latest active boating experience.

3. Boat people are awesome to one another.

Again, no sailing today....but tomorrow, I am on it! Will let you all know how it goes!
Panamax. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 05:32   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: New Boat Stories

Cool!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 12:27   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Keep us informed!

New boat or new to you boat?
Old 28-09-2014, 18:34   #4

Boat: Alberg 35

Sounds so familiar. After being beached 19 years, I took delivery on an Alberg 35 this summer. My last boat was a tanzer 22: outboard, fin keel, and if there is a docking issue you fend off. I've learned a lot this summer about prop wash and just how big 35 feet feels. Also how generous and kind my neighbors at Anchorage Marine in Baltimore are. And that it isn't ALL me. When I begged for advice from a guy who has owned an A35 for 30 years, he said, "hell I never know what she'll do when I go in reverse."

BTW I used to transit the locks in Seattle all the time. When I was new and nervous, a veteran skipper told me to tell the lock keeper it was my first time. I did that a dozen times until one day the guy yelled back "like hell it is, you were through here twice last week."

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 18:42   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

You did not mention your brother who is an identical twin and owns half the boat then?

Coops.
Old 28-09-2014, 21:11   #6

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You did not mention your brother who is an identical twin and owns half the boat then?

Coops.

Lol nope just laughed

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote