Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2005, 05:25   #16

If you do the research, you can probably find an engine with a similar footprint. I recently replaced a two cylinder Volvo with a two cylinder Yanmar without having to make any structural changes. I paid someone to get the old block out and put the new block in and align the shaft, and I did all of the remaining plumbing and electrical work. Total cost: about $9K. The side benefit is that you know your systems as well as they can be known, and that makes for more confident boating.
drynoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 09:09   #17

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Engine

We still need to know, as least I would, what is wrong with the old motor and can it be fixed. Sometimes throwing a lot of $$ at a problem seems to be the accepted way of doing these. But often times a little bit of physical and mechanical effort on the part of an owner can get the job done for a lot less $$.
I have a 1941 Ford 9N tractor that proves my point.
If the owner could at least remove the engine, and take it to an engine rebuilder that would be a good start. Then the problem could be determined and costs calculated.
Just mark all the disconnected parts so you know where they go back. If the boat is in the puddle make sure the prop shaft can not slide out, plug the fuel line and secure it higher than the tank, and make sure the water intake is not leaking. Disconnect the battery B4 any work starts.

Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 10:35   #18

quote We still need to know, as least I would, what is wrong with the old motor and can it be fixed end quote Exactly,did this boat take on water???????Always find the source of the problem.If you are just looking at boats and are not doing the work yourself find another boat that has a good working motor.Paying someone else to do the work on a boat you are buying because it is cheap,is not cheap when you are done.BTW getting someone else to put it in doesn`t mean the job will be done right ,especially if you are not sure either.
Dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 14:01   #19

DD,
Check you PM's at Latsandatts.

In 2006 there are a set of new federal EPA guidling going into effect for all diesels. Trucks, cars, stationary and marine. Westerbeke, Universal, Yanmar, Beta, Ferryman, Lombardini and Volvo are up to speed and compliant.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 15:46   #20

BC... The engine is seized beyong repair.

Never.... I got your PM. Thanks. I will have the time to respond to it later tonight.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 19:14   #21

Hey guys,
It doesn't matter. I received an email from the broker today that said the owners sold the boat to a friend of theirs yesterday.

You guys are great, thanks for all the great advice.

Bill
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote