Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 19:02   #91

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Need opinions on this boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The question is did it dissuade you from inspecting the boat?
It turns out the owner is on a quick timeline and is moving the boat to Ensenada at the end of this week. I'm a few hours away and by the time I'm able to get there, line up the surveyor/rigger the boat would already be in mexico.

I'm moving to San Diego in a couple of months and if the boat is still for sale I will definitely drive down and take a look. I would definitely get a surveyor/riggers specializing in teak decks and wood masts.

Thanks to forum members I realized that some of the things I thought were upsides of the boat also have some serious downsides. Like the diesel has low hours which is great but parts are extremely difficult to find. That the boat is occupied only 3 months a year looked good (less usage/stress on rigging) but then that is 9 months without maintenance. It was definitely a reality check I needed.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 20:09   #92

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I feel a sense of relief for you honestly over this. Best never to be rushed into ANY boat. This is a wonderful cruising design, but may not be in the condition you need. I only saw one post about the engine, but that is one thing that jumped out at me first. Hours on the engine are not the whole story. That MD11 would have to be scrutinized closely and replacing it would be, what, $11k or $12k?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 21:17   #93

Boat: csy 37

Get a surveyor. Maybe two. It MIGHT need lots of work and money.

They're the famous "leaky teaky's". Lots of wood including wood decks, wood spars, wood cabins, wood bowsprit, wood cockpit - or at least the one that was in a marina next to me. Owner was constantly working on the wood. Also had poor quality stainless rigging and fittings which he had mostly replaced. The engine had also been replaced before he bought it.

Having said all that, the good news is that you plan to liveaboard for a few years before sailing off, so you'll have plenty of time to do all the work. Just need plenty of money.

My personal preference is for no wood at all....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 10:27   #94

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38

Beautiful boat, sounds like a great deal, and cheap. Get a good survey, then put $10 in a couple of alum masts... Best of luck!
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 07:52   #95

bit of sail data and ability to get quotes
I think these are the same boats

CT 35 Sailboat SailPlan Data and Sail Quoting System

http://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/category/2-CT-35.html
Old 30-01-2016, 08:54   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
bit of sail data and ability to get quotes
I think these are the same boats

CT 35 Sailboat SailPlan Data and Sail Quoting System

CT 35 Rig Specs, Parts & Rigging | MAURI PRO SAILING
Those type boats look great but they are often considered to be longer than 35 when docking and such on account of that bowsprit..forgive me if this ha s already been pointed out ..good luck with what ever you decide on..Also something I noticed about being on board some of the type (exception was a 65 ft'er that I was "allowed on") was that it felt as if you were decending into the hold of one of those old school pirate ships you see in the movies..I never could get used to that(some may find it to be a safe refuge from the outside world that may try to encrouch ie. bad weather, floating debris, storms etc. they sure do give a since of security and soildness.I like the wood working that some have especially the very big ones that have the "gone with the wind" staircase ..! good luck..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 20:55   #97

Id not come across the newer Moody 45 DS boats until this week, I think these boats demonstrate the thinking of new builders from here on so much that the new fantastic plastics dont have any need for nautical memorabilia, the fantales splashrails taffrails and trailboards will soon be forever gone. Not too far from now, boats like this CT just wont be around anymore.

The CT's and Ta Chiao boats had the lines from reputable designers, and they carried with them a unique perhaps somewhat crass style that continued below. Most of them seem not to be in so good a shape now, indeed many are at or very near the point of scrapping.

I guess what Im saying is, anyone that likes them enough to find a worthwhile proposition and restore her, might be doing us all a service larger then the sum of the parts.