Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 11:19   #1

Need new interior cushions - Eastern Maryland

Hey all,

Curious if anyone here has recommendations for a reasonable and reputable place to have all new interior cushions made for a Pearson 424. I'm looking near Chestertown, MD.

I know this is going to be costly... probably the most costly upgrade I'll do to this boat, but it was part of the deal I made with my wife when we bought it.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 11:27   #2

Re: Need new interior cushions - Eastern Maryland

Yes, they can be expensive for sure. I don't have specific advice for you. Do you need new foam also? I have had it done a couple times by furniture upholstery people. You want them to use synthetic thread of course. It still wasnt cheap, and the cost may depend on if they are shaped profile cushions or just flat plain ones etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 12:07   #3

Thanks Cheechako,

Yes, I do need new foam also... The current ones on the boat are shaped, but flat will likely be fine if it saves some $$.
Old 19-01-2017, 20:10   #4

Bump... just hoping this post might get some attention.... I know upholstery isn't that exciting.....
Old 19-01-2017, 22:42   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Peregrine,

You need to get your good lady involved in this. Reason being, there are so many options.

If she sews, or you do, there's the option of making them all yourselves. If that doesn't fit for you, start talking to upholsterers. You will have a blinding number of fabrics with contradictory benefits to cruisers, and varying appearances to deal with. If the object is that your good lady be happy with the results, let her have a lot of the input. Also, talk to marine canvas places, they usually carry "boatie" fabrics, ranging from loose weave (a nono to me, because everything tends to catch in the openings), to ultra suede.

Leather is an option. It really depends on what the two of you want.

I see you're from NY, but are looking around Chestertown, MD. Good luck with it. We have some friends who went with the synthetic suede, and found it very nice, you don't stick to it in summer, and it's not too cold to sit on in winter; plus, it's washable. She chose the color of her eyes, a lovely blue, but there are lots of options, and what you think belongs on a boat is all part of the decision.

Our boat has all leather in the saloon, and variously covered mattresses in the sleeping cabins. The leather's color has gone out of fashion, so I cannot even match the colours for upholstery in the sleeping cabins. Therefore, choosing some kind of universal color, might make sense.

Ann
Old 20-01-2017, 09:16   #6

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner 1984

Getting ours done right this moment in Ultra Fabric Helix by Holly at YACHT INTERIORS of ANNAPOLIS after three bids. Not cheap but it's our new home!
Shoreline is a bit less expensive and good too - had our exterior fabric from them: home - Pasadena, MD - Shoreline Awning & Trim Inc.
and a great quote from Annapolis Custom: LOCATION - ANNAPOLIS CUSTOM YACHT CANVAS
canman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 09:30   #7

Hi Ann,

Thanks so much for your input. I've passed your response on to my wife who I hereby cede all cushion decision making to... I might weigh in on price a little bit

Canman,

Thank you! Really appreciate the local recommendations.
Old 20-01-2017, 09:33   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So, anyone have any idea as to cost for say Ultra Leather on a couple of Settee's, say each being maybe 7'?
A rough order of magnitude is fine
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 09:49   #9

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

When had my cushions redone I found and bought the fabric myself. A synthetic velveteen which I took to a local upholstery person who charged me $75 per large cushion and $50 per small cushion. A great deal and it looks great.
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 09:54   #10

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So, anyone have any idea as to cost for say Ultra Leather on a couple of Settee's, say each being maybe 7'?
Professionally done in Ultra appears to be running $250 to $350 on ave. per cushion including new multi density foam.
canman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 09:58   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

$1,800 a Settee, ouch

Thanks
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 10:22   #12

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A64,

Reupholstering has been one of our projects this winter. We are using ultrasuede for our upper settee area. [You asked about ultraleather, so I offer ultrasuede- which typically costs more- for comparison... We have ~15 lineal feet of U-shaped sitting area- all cushions are shaped...]

The price for just the fabric [e.g., we are using Ambiance Ultrasuede] varies from US$99+/yard all the way down to ~$20- if you are a patient shopper.

We bought excellent material more than once from a seemingly reputable source on e-Bay. [e.g., Pestycat's Fabric Shop] That is where I get the US$20/yd ultrasuede price from...

We also buy from Fabricguru.com with good results.

When shopping this way, it is very important to first know exactly what you are looking, for as these guys are just a wholesalers passing through fabric remnants which typically don't include content tags... [We don't buy seconds with defects... These sources are careful to indicate whether offerings are seconds or have defects...]

My Admiral [and primary upholsterer...] suggests delving into the Sailrite site. She also suggests the Facebook group 'Sewing on Boats' as another worthwhile resource on this.

The areas where one cannot cut corners are:
-fabric [e.g., we are using Ambiance Ultrasuede]
-Backing [e.g., we always use phifertex for durability and breathability]
-thread [e.g., Sailrite V69 for Ultrasuede and Ultraleather]
-and foam [de jour]

It is false economy to cut corners on any of these materials, so it pays to shop carefully.

We Scotch Guard all upholstery before putting it into service, and have never regretted that extra effort and expense.

In case this is helpful.

Cheers! Bill
Old 20-01-2017, 10:28   #13

Boat: Riva 48

I suggest you try online, it is usually cheaper. I have had good experiences with foamorder.com and there are other sites as well.

S/V Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 10:41   #14

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

I've used Price's Canvas in St Michaels MD eastern shore for several items, perfect work each time. 410 822 9302, he's used by several yards for quality jobs. If you call mention the recommendation came from
the Other Steve.
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 07:03   #15

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi, Do you plan on sailing to the south as in Mexico. I am in Tampico refitting an I30 and it is very cheap to do a lot of things here including cushions etc. I am now making cushions for my cockpit and with the best 3" foam and materials I chose AND labor total cost for the 4 pcs is 2200Mxn (mucho dinero here) which is about $110USD. Many things here are very cheap compared to the USA. Only problem here can be materials but for cushions etc. your choices are limitless. Good luck...
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions, interior, Maryland