Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 12:51   #1

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Need help with 35-42ft Cruising boat recommendations

Ok so here is the story. We started looking at a bigger boat. Found something we both liked at 33ft. Then after driving home after a longish sailboat race my wife says to me, " I've been thinking about it and I really want to go cruising. Should we be looking for a boat bigger than 33ft, so we don't end up fixing up two more boats?" I love that women!

Here's the rub, I'd settled on another traditional design modified full keel boat that was well a little faster than our current boat but not by much. Now with getting the green light I'm not sure where to be looking.

I'm thinking somewhere between 35-42FT. I'd ideally like something around a 38ft. We don't have any yet but plan to have 1-2 kids that would be coming with, so we need 2 seperate bunks that won't interfere with the table. (her requirement, but a reasonable one). I like internal ballast and skeg hung rudders, for more speed than a full keel, and more protection than fin keels and spade rudders. But it isn't a neccesity. I'm open to sloop, Ketch, and yawl sail plans.

Price wise thinking between $15-40k, ($15k for something that needs an engine or serious work). I'm a handy guy with lots of paint, fiberglass, mechanical, rebuilding experience. So needing some work isn't a huge deal but I don't want to do a complete gut job.

What are your recommendations? I know lots of people say there are lots of great modern cruising boat designs, what are your favorites and why?

I kinda like the Morgan 382, 383, 384's they rated to be quick boats, but the prices can be a little steep.

Catalina 38 is nice, but I'd prefer the Yankee with the skeg rudder.

I saw a decent Hinckley 38

I'm not adverse to older boats either Chris Craft Commanche's are nice.
Old 28-08-2014, 13:15   #2

Boat: PSC 37
Re: Need help with 35-42ft Cruising boat recommendations

Endeavor 37
Southern cross 35
Creekmore 34 flush deck
T.O.C.K. Tartan offshore cruising ketch

Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-08-2014, 13:23   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 33

If there is one thing I have learned from being on this forum it's that boats are such a personal and emotional thing for most people that asking a group like this what boat you should get is almost like asking them to choose who you should marry. You are going to get such a diverse group of responses and all based on what is important to THAT person and not necessarily to you. And that's before the fin vs. full keel, mono vs. cat, skeg vs. spade rudder groups even get wound up.

Why not pay a visit to Yachtworld.com. Go to the advanced search feature, plug in your size and price parameters and specify the area of your search based on how far you are willing to travel to look at/transport a boat. See what's available to choose from. Then research those designs and see which ones have the qualities that appeal to you or satisfy your needs, or maybe some of the boats that are already on your "short list" (we all have them) will pop up. That would be a great place to start and will at least give you some idea of what might be available in your price range. Sometimes getting too focused on a particular boat, or even a list of boats, can cause you to miss out on something that might be even better that you hadn't considered or didn't know anything about.

And, by the way, congrats on having a partner that shares your dream. It's a beautiful thing.
Old 28-08-2014, 13:46   #4

Oh trust me I've already been all over Yachtworld and sailboatlistings ect. Ive stared at them for many hours late at night until my eyes feel like they are filled with sand. lol

I tried to give a little bit about what I was looking for to help steer peoples opinions. But opinions and personal favorites are exactly what I'm looking for right now, I know how it can get around here and am hoping to hear what others think. I'm also hoping to hear about that guy down the dock that's looking to sell ect.

Thanks for the recommendations so far I'll check them out.
Old 28-08-2014, 13:48   #5

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Congrats on you 2 folks heading in the same direction. Not easy on boats.

I have that same situation and I feel blessed.

oldragbaggers is right. Do your research and don't create a short list so fast. Lots of different boats out there - you are gonna find a lot that almost fit all your desires. You won't likely find one that meets all of them.
Old 28-08-2014, 18:50   #6

Boat: Pearson 35

I have a Pearson 35, but I saw a Dickerson 37 for sale, do a web search, it looked awesome. I like them because they are built well, great draft for crusing and rock solid. Plus that is a boat that will make your heart flutter. My wife is the best, our last boat we walked up to the boat with the owner standing there and she said I want it. Not the best negotiation technique. She also let me buy the Pearson and bring it back to life. The one I saw was 25 grand, unreal. Good luck!
Jim
jimsavenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 22:09   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post

Price wise thinking between $15-40k, ($15k for something that needs an engine or serious work). I'm a handy guy with lots of paint, fiberglass, mechanical, rebuilding experience. So needing some work isn't a huge deal but I don't want to do a complete gut job.

What are your recommendations? I know lots of people say there are lots of great modern cruising boat designs, what are your favorites and why?
I think you are really close to on-target.

I think you should push up to 40 depending on the boat. 4 people aboard gets crowded.

I think your budget may be a little light.

Lotsa boats fit your requirements. Keep the list a little wide open at present. The boat will almost find you.

However it looks like you already found the perfect mate. the next part should be easy!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 22:41   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, the space required for 2 children starts out small, but grows fast.

Possibly an old Standfast 36 would do. The pilot berths or the quarter-berths could be the kid berths, and not hard to add a supplemental lee cloth above the lee boards. One could to add a little stowage shelf at the aft end of the quarter-berths. Those boats had airex cored hulls and balsa cored decks, so you'd want to make sure it wasn't going to be too much of a project boat. The forepeak can be transformed by a skilled woodworker into a pleasant master cabin. It's not a great boat storage-wise.

We had the 36 and the two of us lived aboard for 17 years. However, we sacrificed one pilot berth and one quarter-berth for stowage. A leaf table was added between the settees. Even though overladen, this boat routinely turned in 140 mi. days; and once averaged 159.5 from Noumea to Gladstone.

Ann
Old 29-08-2014, 05:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsavenir View Post
I have a Pearson 35, but I saw a Dickerson 37 for sale, do a web search, it looked awesome. I like them because they are built well, great draft for crusing and rock solid. Plus that is a boat that will make your heart flutter. My wife is the best, our last boat we walked up to the boat with the owner standing there and she said I want it. Not the best negotiation technique. She also let me buy the Pearson and bring it back to life. The one I saw was 25 grand, unreal. Good luck!
Jim
Jim, You're right what a beautiful boat! I'd not heard of Dickersons before thanks for bringing them to my attention. I see the one in MD is prices at what seems like a good deal! Funny though it turns out my friends boat is a Dickerson Farr 37, obviously a very different boat, but I should've paid attention to the manufacturer.

Anne the Standfast looks like a great boat too! Again one I hadn't heard of. I'd looked at more than a few PJ's but hadn't seen the 36.

So far you guys have given me at least 5 new boat models to consider, many of which I like! Thanks and keep them coming. I'm definitely not making a short list yet. Just making a top 50 list so far. The sad part is there doesn't seem to be any of my favorites in my region.
Old 29-08-2014, 06:03   #10

...Also I know I am a VERY lucky guy to have such a wonderfully adventurous and beautiful wife!

She also happens to be pretty good with a paint brush for names and MC's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Laura painting Mcs3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	87321  
Old 29-08-2014, 07:03   #11

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
...my wife says to me, " I've been thinking about it and I really want to go cruising...
Price wise thinking between $15-40k, ($15k for something that needs an engine or serious work)...
Your wife wants to go cruising. But you are budgeting for another career in boat repair. ($15k for a cruising boat?)

Look for a smaller boat in better condition. When your family outgrows it, you will be in a better position to choose your next boat.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 13:05   #12

Terra, I've fixed up pretty much every boat I've ever owned. It's part of the process I enjoy so I'm not ruling out a fixer upper yet. This is a long term plan. We are currently working on stocking up the cruising kitty and planning on a short 6month-2year cruise in 5-7years. So plenty of time for fixing. If I find a boat with soggy decks, or in need of an engine, I've found they can be a great deal. I know everyone doesn't think so but that's been my experience.

Also $15k is just the low end. If something is in good shape in the $40k range but lacking equipment or in need of cosmetic work I understand that's probably the better deal in the end.
Old 29-08-2014, 13:10   #13

Boat: C&C Newport 41

might think about center cockpits which will get you an aft cabin and v-berth resulting in more privacy as the kids grow a bit and give you more room in a shorter boat...

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 13:31   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

appick,

Should you become interested in a Standfast 36, a Franz Maas design, there are some things to look closely at:

1) The chain plates were mild steel with the deck protrusion s/s that was welded to them. If the chainplates leaked, those may need repair or replacing. The owner will have to take down the ceilings by the pilot berths so that they can be inspected.

2) Ours needed to be reinforced at the aft end of the keel. Water weeping into the sump from the aft keel bolt is the clue to this.

3) it is only a sloop, but not too difficult to modify to accept an inner forestay and running backs for a storm sail. Jim did that on ours.

4) Jim also created an auxiliary rudder windvane to add lateral plane aft, which helped her downwind stability.

Good luck with your search.

Ann
Old 29-08-2014, 21:02   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

We too are working towards going offshore with kids so I have been thinking a lot towards that end.

The first key conclusion I have come to is that with kids we want a pilot berth or quarter berth for each kid. They each need the security of a place that is theirs. Giving them a dinette seat or settee seat that has to convert every night and is community seating thru the day isn't enough, it is not a place they can go to anytime they want to sulk, or rest or be 'alone', or read or ... If we had a lot more money we could afford a newer boat with multiple cabins, but we don't so the aim for us is a boat with pilot berths and/or quarterberths, which means a 1960's racer/cruiser design.

The second key conclusion is that while there will be 4 people aboard, 2 of them as children will not be contributing significantly to the operation of the boat. In settled weather they can probably stand a short watch together twice a day, but in heavy weather you will probably want them below. That means that in heavy weather or a rough anchorage the boat will be double-handed or less since one of you will need to check on the kids periodically. This argues for a smaller boat. In one of their books L&L Pardey discuss the Xmas 1982 Cabo debacle where more than 1/2 the fleet of 40 odd boats was driven ashore in an unexpected gale. One of their conclusions agreed to by a number of the sailors that were there was that above about 37' it was very difficult for a couple to manage the boat. Holding the boat size to 37' for your family may not be possible, but it is worth aiming for. With a lot of experience and extra gear (read money leeches and maintenance headaches) you can get away with a significantly bigger boat. I personally wouldn't go over 43' regardless of how much time and money I had to burn.

See the following posts I have written for other people wanting to go on a limited budget. Recommendations vary slightly with crew size.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1427569

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post697199

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post589510

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post685588

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1080404

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post673585

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post982307

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post822286
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, men