Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2012, 14:04   #1

Need help finding the right boat!

I have a slightly different need than most on this forum, but think I can find lots of help here. I am going to buy a boat and lease it to the local sailing school. The school and I will use the boat to teach, charter, and have even tossed the idea around about a boat-tel (floating hotel). So here is whats needed.

1.) Size - 36' - 40' with 38' being the optimal size.
2.) Fairly rugged (you know new boaters and renters)
3.) As low maintenance as possible.
4.) Room - Will have up to 6 people and captain at anytime for day sail and maybe 2 couples + captain on crewed charters.
5.) Desirable - Need something someone is going to want to rent.
6.) Price point $50,000ish +/-
7.) Shape - I do not want to do a lot of work getting it ready for service.
8.) Needs A/C the boat will be in central FL.
9.) Draft - Once again FL/Keys/Bahamas so max 5' 6"
10.) Needs to have good sailing characteristics (gonna teach people how to sail).
11.) Going to be used by me and my family for trips to keys and bahamas about once a year.

I have looked at most production boats and like the mid 80's pearson's (385 and 386). - None available for sell that I have found. Only two and one is pending and the other is in Victoria CN.

Endevour 's - I like the endevor's but they have the fuel tank issue, and if I am going to buy anything, I prefer there not be a know engineering flaw.

Not crazy about the idea of Hunter (build quality).

So here are the questions.

What boat would you have an interest in renting/chartering?
What boats am I overlooking?

Thank you
Me-agan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 17:31   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Need help finding the right boat!

You've described Sunsail's business model pretty much.

You need three cabins and you need to attract beginners.

I don't think a 1980's boat would be attractive to me.

I think you need a 40-ish Benneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria or Catalina less than 5 years old.

I only exclude Hunters because of the recent turmoil in the company.

I don't think you get that for $50k ready to sail and I don't think you get anything with a/c.

The only caveat is that if you are going to offer an "alternate" low cost model some charterers may compromise boat type for price of charter but you will be a niche business IMHO.

On a purely "social commentary" note - I suspect you are looking to buy a boat "you want" and defray costs with this plan. What you want and what makes money my be 2 different boats.

All the insurance and charter rules stuff applies - if that is your plan you are not the first cowboy to try and sign up for this rodeo.

Good luck!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:19   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

I agree with Ex-Calif. That the boat you want and the boat you need for this may be two very different boats. On the other hand, it could work very well for you. I would strongly recomend that you do some market research for this before you jump in. I hope it works for you.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:58   #4

Putting a 30 year old boat into the charter trade is very iffy. The big charter companies retire most of there boats when they are 5 to 7 years old because the maintainance gets too heavy to be profitable. The charter rates that look good on adverts are probably not what you are going to get for a 30 year old boat. The sailing school doesnt care because the money lost will be yours, not theirs. If a 30 year old diesel packs up, be prepared tp open your wallet for 8 to 12 thousand dollars plus lost income. I am sorry to be so negative but it sounds like a very bad plan.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 19:20   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-agan View Post
I have a slightly different need than most on this forum, but think I can find lots of help here. I am going to buy a boat and lease it to the local sailing school. The school and I will use the boat to teach, charter, and have even tossed the idea around about a boat-tel (floating hotel). So here is whats needed.

1.) Size - 36' - 40' with 38' being the optimal size.
2.) Fairly rugged (you know new boaters and renters)
3.) As low maintenance as possible.
4.) Room - Will have up to 6 people and captain at anytime for day sail and maybe 2 couples + captain on crewed charters.
5.) Desirable - Need something someone is going to want to rent.
6.) Price point $50,000ish +/-
7.) Shape - I do not want to do a lot of work getting it ready for service.
8.) Needs A/C the boat will be in central FL.
9.) Draft - Once again FL/Keys/Bahamas so max 5' 6"
10.) Needs to have good sailing characteristics (gonna teach people how to sail).
11.) Going to be used by me and my family for trips to keys and bahamas about once a year.

I have looked at most production boats and like the mid 80's pearson's (385 and 386). - None available for sell that I have found. Only two and one is pending and the other is in Victoria CN.

Endevour 's - I like the endevor's but they have the fuel tank issue, and if I am going to buy anything, I prefer there not be a know engineering flaw.

Not crazy about the idea of Hunter (build quality).

So here are the questions.

What boat would you have an interest in renting/chartering?
What boats am I overlooking?

Thank you
My brother had the same requierments and he bought a ODay 39.9
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote