Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 07:19   #1

Boat: Fortune 30
Need experienced opinions

Concerning the Beneteau Oceanis 393 2006:

After years of sailing a traditional full keeled sailboat on the Red Sea, we are making some big changes in life. As we near retirement we have decided to relocate to the Med for summer liveaboard / sailing. With that in mind we have been looking at boats that are more user friendly for Med mooring, maneuvering in tight places, dinghy access and have more roomy and comfortable below deck accommodation. After over 30 years living aboard small boats we want some comfort. LOL.

Over the past 20 years we have had many many opportunities both as a delivery team and as crew to think about what suits us and what doesn't. So we've narrowed the field to the Beneteau 393. We sailed on this boat for over a week a couple of times through all sorts of weather and lived aboard one this fall for a few weeks in Turkey.

But one thing concerns us. This fall I found the sleeping accommodation in the forward berth to be uncomfortable for a couple. Everybody seems to rave about the berth but I found myself squashed against the inside wall and "climbing the wall" in the middle of the night. Even in our 30 foot boat the berth is more comfortable.

So before we take the leap, my question is:
Has any other couple had this issue?
Or could it be due to old berth cushions that need replacing?

Robyn
Yofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:29   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Need experienced opinions

What difference if “some other” couple liked or didn’t like it? YOU don’t !!
Old 04-12-2019, 09:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What difference if “some other” couple liked or didn’t like it? YOU don’t !!
True but we have not actually slept in the forward (owner's) cabin before on a 393. We have slept in one of the aft cabins. And we have learned over the years that new cushions in the berths can completely change the sleeping experience. So we'd like to hear from other couples living aboard/ cruising on a 393 and what their experience is.

Robyn
Old 04-12-2019, 09:42   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

My solution to sleeping problems is to get a memory foam topper, but anyone who thinks the owner's cabin should be in the forepeak has never been to sea.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:44   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

I have the same size Pullman bed in my forward cabin and it has a nice memory foam mattress. Skinny couples are “ok” with it, bigger couples are’t, and singles like it a lot.

If my wife and I had to sleep in it all the time we wouldn’t have this boat.

How’s that even though I’m not a 393 owner?
Old 04-12-2019, 09:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have the same size Pullman bed in my forward cabin and it has a nice memory foam mattress. Skinny couples are “ok” with it, bigger couples are’t, and singles like it a lot.

If my wife and I had to sleep in it all the time we wouldn’t have this boat.

How’s that even though I’m not a 393 owner?
Better. So you sleep in an aft cabin?
Old 04-12-2019, 09:53   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

When we first got our 393 (2 cabin owner's version)in 2004 we slept in the pullman berth forward. After a season we switched to the aft cabin. The pullman is a bit small, tapers to even smaller at the bow and heads seem a lot lower than feet. The aft cabin is very comfortable.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
My solution to sleeping problems is to get a memory foam topper, but anyone who thinks the owner's cabin should be in the forepeak has never been to sea.
Don this boat has 1 forward cabin and 2 aft cabins. On passages we can always choose to sleep in one of the aft berths.

We know that like most cruisers in the med, we will be livingaboard and not doing passages most of the time. We will gunkhole very slowly. And the forward cabin is much more comfortable as a long term cabin than the aft cabins.

I'd still like to hear from someone who has personal experience with this boat.
Robyn
Old 04-12-2019, 09:57   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

The forward double berth (not a v-berth) on the Beneteau 393 is significantly narrower than the aft double berths. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/beneteau-393 Sleeping in the aft cabin in a Med-moor, however, puts you closest to all the bar noise and clamor that the Med is known for. Wide-transomed Benteau 393’s may also have significant hull slap noise back there when moored. Sleeping forward could be a LOT quieter than aft. Don’s idea of adding height to the mattress would be a good one because the flare of the bow in the forward cabin would allow the bunk to be wider, too. The question then becomes whether that would that leave you enough headroom in the bunk. Every boat is a compromise.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
When we first got our 393 (2 cabin owner's version)in 2004 we slept in the pullman berth forward. After a season we switched to the aft cabin. The pullman is a bit small, tapers to even smaller at the bow and heads seem a lot lower than feet. The aft cabin is very comfortable.
Thank you Rick that's exactly the kind of information we needed.
Robyn
Old 04-12-2019, 10:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
The forward double berth (not a v-berth) on the Beneteau 393 is significantly narrower than the aft double berths. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/beneteau-393 Sleeping in the aft cabin in a Med-moor, however, puts you closest to all the bar noise and clamor that the Med is known for. Wide-transomed Benteau 393’s may also have significant hull slap noise back there when moored. Sleeping forward could be a LOT quieter than aft. Don’s idea of adding height to the mattress would be a good one because the flare of the bow in the forward cabin would allow the bunk to be wider, too. The question then becomes whether that would that leave you enough headroom in the bunk. Every boat is a compromise.
Thanks. You've made lots of good points. We have thought of the option of altering the forward berth (which could make resale an issue) and definitely there will be compromise in the end.
Robyn
Old 04-12-2019, 10:53   #12

Boat: Beneteau 393

We have a 2006 393, 3 cabin, family of 4, lived aboard 10 years.

I love the pullman berth- I fell like it and the fwd head are a better use of space than a v-berth. When coastal/offshore we just ask the kids to sleep together and use the other aft cabin for my wife and I.

Regarding new mattresses, yes they make a world of difference. We have an HMC mattress forward and ones made by Portland mattress for the aft cabins. Portland Mattress was cheaper and just as good quality. Keep in mind that there is a limit how high you would want your pullman berth mattress to be- not because of headroom, but because of the bookshelf ledge on the port side.

Hope this helps. Consider joining the Beneteau 393 owners facebook page for more info.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:53   #13

Thanks Geopowers.
That's true about the bookshelf on the side of the berth. I'd forgotten that.
And thanks for the heads up about the facebook group. I'll check it out.

Robyn

Tags
enc