Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2014, 08:47   #1

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Need advice on trailersailer

Hi all, I have been sailing now for about 6 yrs. I started with an Oday daysailer then traded up to a San Juan 26, We love this boat and have been lake sailing and coastal cruising.

The problem is, the good old boat is so heavy to pull up and down the road with my half ton truck (Trading trucks is not an option at this time). We live 3.5 hrs drive to the coast. Harkers island, Beufort area is where we like to go. And the lake seems smaller every time we go, so I predict more time at the coast is in our future.

My boat is perfect for those waters and our purpose, but I find myself not wanting to go because of the haul. I have found a Venture 21, that a man is willing to trade for my San Juan.

My questions are these:
1: Are the Ventures safe enough for my family and I to sail around the sound and in and out of the inlets in good weather.

2: Have any of you ever traded for a smaller boat like this after having owned a boat with a good sized cabin, and did you hate yourself for it?

3 If I do trade, would a 9.8 kicker be a good match for this boat? Or too big?
Rumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 09:42   #2

Re: Need advice on trailersailer

We have a 19' ft trailer-sailor and still love her to bits. Easy to tow anywhere, and it's mainly in a slip a 10 min walk from the house Luxury.

26 to 21 ft is a big jump down in terms of interior size and livability. So if the bulk of your sailing involves overnighting, cruising and/or lots of people... it's not a great move. On the other hand, if like us you daysail 90% of the time, and just do the odd weekend out, a smaller boat might be tolerable.

Looking at pictures of a San Juan 26... If it was me I'd keep her, no question.

Here's a thought - store the San Juan at the coast, either in the water or on land close to a good ramp. You'd save the wear and expense of the long tow. For sailing closer to home, you might consider buying another cheap daysailor or mini cruiser, which, if you're handy, can be picked up for cheap.

We push our 19' boat with an older 5HP Suzuki and it's plenty strong enough, even in current or against wind. So a 9.8 hp outboard is a little bit overkill and heavy for a 21' boat, I think.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail