Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2022, 07:23   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Need advice on first sailboat purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Keep it simple and get the boat you need now.

Bigger boats are more expensive to own and maintain, and your efforts are more about keeping the systems in good repair than sailing it.

Get a smallish Hunter or Catalina, and take it out every weekend. You're in a great area for sailing, and you can get a lot of sailing bang for the buck if you do it right.
This is true. I spend the makority of my time not sailing but rather working on repairs on my Catalina 30 that was neglected by the previous owner. I would definitely go smaller than the Catalina 30 to maybe a Catalina 27 (or smaller) for a first boat as the Catalina 30 IS a big boat.

Ideally, if you had the money you could have two boats: a smaller one with an outboard that you can hop on anytime and sail around the Chesapeake easily single-handed. This will hone your sailing skills and understanding of waves, weather, sail trim, navigation, etc.... It will also be a lot of FUN.

(They have a saying: the smaller the boat the larger the fun...)

The second larger boat (36 ft + etc.) can be a project boat that you fix up and get ready to head down the coast / live aboard. You can set the boat up the way you like, and working n the boat you will become intimately knowledgeable of all of the systems that go along with a big boat.

cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 08:03   #17
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

our first boat was the same model that we took lessons on. I thought a 23 footer was a big boat back then
Old 21-01-2022, 08:06   #18

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift NH View Post
I second the previous 2 posters.
I learned to sail on my family’s boats so was familiar with sailing. My first boat was a Catalina 30, it was in good shape when I bought it but like every boat it needed some repairs and the usual rebeding of deck fixtures ect…. It was the perfect boat for long weekends on Lake Champlain. When we decided to move south and live on a boat we knew we needed something different. We sold the Catalina after 3 years of ownership for the same price we bought it for.
I think the Pearson 365 would be a good boat for your long term plans but not as maneuverable and easy to sail as something smaller.
I have a similar story, Beneteau 285 to a Jeanneau 44i, 35 ft + might take some getting used too but then you may not need to resize a couple of years down the , the Chesapeake is plenty big and you will feel well served on larger bodies of water with a longer waterline.
In my humble opinion under 35 ft hulls have a progressively harder time making headway up wind with a waves over 2 feet. This wave hight is easy to reach with a fetch over 1 mile and a wind speed over 15 knots.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 08:28   #19

Boat: Taswell 49' All Season Pilothouse
Send a message via Skype™ to Brendan

My father is selling his Pacific Seacraft Flicka for around the $30k mark. It is the version with an enclosed head. Easy to single hand, very shallow draft, built like a tank. People have sailed them around the world. One can also lower the mast and raise it again, single handed, for going under low bridges. Amazingly, it is also trailer-able and it comes with a trailer. He is selling due to age related loss of sight. Could even get his pick up to tow it away on, since he can’t drive anymore either. Boat is located in a suburb of Philadelphia, so not so far from you. PM me if interested.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 09:25   #20

You could do a lot worse than the Catalina 27 or 30 that you mentioned. In my experience, focus on the idea that this is your "first" boat and that you won't be keeping it more than a couple of years, just long enough to decide what features in a boat are most important to you. Catalinas have good performance, are reasonably comfortable, are low maintenance, and have excellent resell value.

My first keel boat was a Hunter 26.5. It was a good bay boat, but it was frustrating to see all those Cat 27's sail by me like I was dragging anchor.
Markdmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 10:10   #21

Boat: Freedom 30

A 30 ft boat is great for a place like the Chesapeake bay. I am on Long Island Sound and I just sold my 30ft (Freedom 30, great first boat). The skills I gained not only sailing, but maintaining and upgrading it was invaluable. 30 ft was also a great size to take extended cruises on every year (up to 3 weeks with me and the wife) and to get comfortable learning to live aboard. I sold my 30 footer in about a week last summer as it was well maintained and while I got allot more than I paidfor it, I also invested allot of money and sweat equity.
I consider it money and effort well spent. good luck and welcome to the Journey!
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 10:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRH View Post
Hello everyone,

I’ve taken the basic keelboat course and plan on taking the basic coastal cruising course in April. I would really like to buy my first sailboat this Spring. All of my sailing during the next season will be on the Chesapeake. Ultimately, I’d like to pursue coastal cruising on the East Coast, learn the ICW route, and potentially offshore sailing.

So, I wanted to get some advice from you all on picking a first sailboat. On one hand, it certainly makes sense for someone with limited experience to keep it simple, maybe a Catalina 27 or 30, something that wouldn’t be too expensive to maintain, has a relatively shallow draft for the Chesapeake, and can be single-handed (also a big priority for me). However, given my long term cruising goals, I also think it would be great to purchase a sailboat that’s more capable of coastal cruising and even offshore sailing. That way I wouldn’t be working on maintaining a simpler boat for a few years just to inevitably sell it and buy a more robust cruiser. The most I can spend is $30K.

So, would something like a Pearson 365 Ketch be too much for a first cruiser? Or a similar cruiser with a cutter rig? I worked as a professional pilot for twenty years, and I take this all very seriously in terms of studying and being safe on the water. So, in a nutshell… keep it simple or go for a boat I can grow into as a sailor for the next ten-plus years? Really appreciate all your helpful replies.
A Catalina 30 would be a great boat to start with. They feel much bigger than the 27. You can certainly do the Chesapeake, ICW and Bahamas with one. By that time you will know what to buy as an upgrade, or if you really like cruising that much.

But it certainly makes sense to try to not have to do a "do-over" also. It takes a year or two to get comfortable and get the boat 'tweaked' to your needs.... as well as all the maintenance most need.

The Pearson would not really be too big, it's getting there though. Most people do not like the clutter of a Ketch/mizzen. I'd buy the Cutter/sloop version of that boat.

But other capable options are out there also. A Cape Dory 30-36 ft, other Pearson's etc. Many of the Pearson's are getting quite old.

So be careful in buying older boats in general and make sure it's not too much work. It's very easy to become a boat mechanic instead of a sailor! However, it's often more about the condition than age. But engines, tanks etc can be real show stoppers that get overlooked in purchase.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 10:42   #23

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

My first sailboat was a Catalina 25. It was a great sailing boat and OK for overnight but not much more. I found myself alone many nights because my wife didn't like sleeping on the boat. The Catalina 30 with diesel engine and HVAC is an excellent platform for learning about big boats. It has all the systems as a larger boat and it is big enough to allow a week long vacation.
Use the Catalina 30 for daily sailing and long weekends then rent larger boats for big vacations in places like BVI, Antigua, or Belize. The Catalina will teach you how to run a larger boat.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 10:49   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Go small, 26/27 ft.. If all you have is 30K to spend keep the maintenance and dockage costs in mind, apparently like a lot of us you're not rich. Most boats in that length range you can venture of shore in, on a good day, and have a draft suitable for the Bay.
Save up in the interim for a future purchase.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 11:24   #25
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRH View Post
Hello everyone,

I’ve taken the basic keelboat course and plan on taking the basic coastal cruising course in April. I would really like to buy my first sailboat this Spring. All of my sailing during the next season will be on the Chesapeake. Ultimately, I’d like to pursue coastal cruising on the East Coast, learn the ICW route, and potentially offshore sailing.

So, I wanted to get some advice from you all on picking a first sailboat. On one hand, it certainly makes sense for someone with limited experience to keep it simple, maybe a Catalina 27 or 30, something that wouldn’t be too expensive to maintain, has a relatively shallow draft for the Chesapeake, and can be single-handed (also a big priority for me). However, given my long term cruising goals, I also think it would be great to purchase a sailboat that’s more capable of coastal cruising and even offshore sailing. That way I wouldn’t be working on maintaining a simpler boat for a few years just to inevitably sell it and buy a more robust cruiser. The most I can spend is $30K.

So, would something like a Pearson 365 Ketch be too much for a first cruiser? Or a similar cruiser with a cutter rig? I worked as a professional pilot for twenty years, and I take this all very seriously in terms of studying and being safe on the water. So, in a nutshell… keep it simple or go for a boat I can grow into as a sailor for the next ten-plus years? Really appreciate all your helpful replies.
We would all have saved money if the first boat we bought was the last boat but if you look at the history of all boat owners it doesn't work that way. I moved from a 22' to 28' to my current 42' and the last one was a big one with all the many systems to contend with.

Given your $30K limit buy the boat in the best condition for yourself. A Catalina 30 or other make with an inboard engine would be a good start and use it to learn sailing and boat ownership tasks...keep learning/reading. Boats below 28' generally require only an outboard. Limit your goals to sailing coastal; I wouldn't plan on any extensive offshore passage. Limit your enthusiasm for putting money into the boat and invest it for the next bigger boat.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 12:56   #26
GRH

Wow, I can't thank you all enough for all of this fantastic advice. I really appreciate it. Well, it seems like the overwhelming majority here is saying keep it simple, minimize costs, learn about boat maintenance, and most importantly - spend as much time on the water as possible. I do belong to a club in Annapolis. So I will sail with them as much as I can before springing for the new (to me) boat. I like the idea of the Catalina 30. As many of you said, the Catalina 30 is big enough to be comfortable on an extended trip, but the maintenance shouldn't be overwhelming, assuming I find one in good shape. However, I will keep an open mind to other boats in that size range. Thanks again!
GRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 13:45   #27

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Catalina 27 is a great boat. The problem is, as said, that those 3' difference to the Catalina 30 makes a big difference in comfort.

We just sold our C30TR, which I had for 26 years. I beat the crap out of it, sailed in all weather, and four of us would cruise for weeks. It took the beatings with little to show. The 3'10" shallow draft got us into some secluded anchorages nobody else could get into.

Get a tall rig if you can. DEFINITELY get a diesel.

With the Catalinas you can get parts, as in literally get them tomorrow, from CatalinaDirect. No other boat has that, and it's a god send.

The Pearson 365 is a spectacular boat. Huge, good sailor, solid. It's going to cost more in maintenance, I'm guessing at least double what the C30 will cost you.

New sailor, I'd say Catalina 30. It will be big at first, and it will be big when you wax the hull. It will be small when you're in big waves, but it will get you there.
Old 21-01-2022, 14:16   #28

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
The first yacht will soon be too small. The second yacht will be about the right size and the third will be too big and expensive to keep.
That us exactly! Catalina 18, Seaward 25, Beneteau 40. Sold the 18 and the 40 and are back sailing the 25.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 06:58   #29

Boat: RIVAL 41 Cutter

Why waist your time with the boat you are going to sell in a few years. Buy the boat you believe you will be able to do the type of sailing you expect to eventually do.
YARGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 07:41   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Searching for a first boat ... Suggest you learn how to inspect
a prospective purchase.

Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection

Tags
Advice, boat, purchase, sail, sailboat