Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2015, 18:08   #61

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Need a boat for circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
You should check out Chris And Jess Bray who rebuilt a, North Atlantic 29 Junk sail, in Nova Scotia Canada and sailed up through the north west passage, the youngest to skipper a boat through the passage. Teleport Expeditions - Chris Bray & Jess Taunton
There are about 24 youtube videos, done in great detail on the rebuild and the jurney which is still ongoing as their destination is Australia. the junk is a remarkable design and they sailed through some very extreme conditions. It will either make you change your mind or fill you full of piss and vinegar to start the jurney!!! and might i add, neither of themsailed before!!!
I hope the later of the two, piss and vinegar, prevails
Umm, Nicholson, you might want to retract your last comment about Chris Bray. He grew up on his parents home built boat during a protracted circumnavigation so, yeah, he had sailed before... a lot!. He also is a sort of professional adventurer and quite experienced in the Artic (and in garnering sponsorship). Very competent young man, and Jess is a peach, too! They are on their way to Hobart and the Wooden Boat Festival even as we speak; Ann and I are looking forward to seeing them again.

Holding them out as examples of newbies succeeding in a hazardous voyage is just wrong.

Jim
Old 30-01-2015, 18:37   #62

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Ha, yes I sailed with Chris from Hobart to Pueto Mont, Chile. Via the sub Antarctic islands south of NZ. This was well before they bought Teleport.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-01-2015, 08:00   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hey Bob, at least you know the get rich quick schemes of Las Vegas.

So you want to be given the whole thing, boat and all expenses for free?

But you say you are fit?

So why don't you get off your ass and work for your boat like the rest of us did??

Mark
He says he is an EX marine....There is an old saying "once a marine, ALWAYS a marine".....unless you were kicked out and received a DIShonorable discharge.

Does that answer your question?
Old 31-01-2015, 08:47   #64

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
He says he is an EX marine....There is an old saying "once a marine, ALWAYS a marine".....unless you were kicked out and received a DIShonorable discharge.

Does that answer your question?
I noticed that too. Only someone with a DD would EVER refer to themselves as an ex-Marine. Former Marine maybe to show you're no longer Active Duty, but never ex.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-01-2015, 15:43   #65

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Uh, guys, I know squat about Marines and their philosophy, but to publicly accuse this chap of having been dishonourably discharged on the basis of one phrase seems really over the top... approaching defamation of character, in fact.

I have no idea about his military history... it could be bad, who knows? But I think that you are out of line.

Jim
Old 31-01-2015, 15:52   #66

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yes Jim, I agree wholeheartedly.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 31-01-2015, 16:19   #67
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I agree with Jim.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 31-01-2015, 18:49   #68

Sorry, I'm not in any way accusing him of having a dishonorable discharge. More just a random observation. At any rate, I believe the OP stated that he served with Chesty. That being the case, he is definitely "Old Corps." Meaning he is a BMF. So again, not accusing him of a dishonorable, just odd that he would call himself an ex-Marine when that term has a very negative connotation to Marines.

Old 31-01-2015, 21:47   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Sorry, I'm not in any way accusing him of having a dishonorable discharge. More just a random observation... just odd that he would call himself an ex-Marine when that term has a very negative connotation to Marines.
Same here, I wasn't accusing him of anything either. It was merely an observation.
Every male member of my family serves our country as we feel it is the honorable thing to do. No one in my family will ever claim they are an ex, as it implies an other than honorable discharge.
Old 01-02-2015, 00:42   #70

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Uh, guys, I know squat about Marines and their philosophy, but to publicly accuse this chap of having been dishonourably discharged on the basis of one phrase seems really over the top... approaching defamation of character, in fact.

I have no idea about his military history... it could be bad, who knows? But I think that you are out of line.

Jim
thanks for this jim

totally agree. the posting is out of line and as a dad of 2 usmc vets, one with 2 tours in iraq it offends me to think someone would think that way.
Old 01-02-2015, 00:57   #71

bob -- i was going to reframe from posting on this but some posted that maybe you should try an atlantic crossibg first before trying the rest.

there is currently a thread running on a boat lost off hatteras

GUNBOAT Dismasting - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

it will be interesting to see what really happened. but when we crossed the atlantic we spent 6 days in winds from 25-35k and seas in 3-4 meters. say what you will about your lake nothing but a bit of experience preps you for that.

everyone seems to talking about everything except the wx which in our opinion is the most critical element.

and remeber one thing in 90% of the world there is no uscg to come get you.

i will not be a nay sayer but i will tell you about one couple we met on the east coast of the usa and sailed with a bit. they wanted us to do a circum nav with them and we felt we were just not ready. a couple of years later we decided to leave and headed to mexico and down the coast to the bay islands where we found them sitting. they turned north that year and headed back to the usa and sold the boat and quit. the real issue was one of expectations. they were not prepared for what the sea threw at them.

just some thoughts
Old 02-02-2015, 14:59   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
thanks for this jim

totally agree. the posting is out of line and as a dad of 2 usmc vets, one with 2 tours in iraq it offends me to think someone would think that way.
So are you a marine? Then why are YOU offended?

You say you have two children who are USMC? Ask them....will they ever claim to be an EX marine? Go ahead, ask them. Then you will understand.

It seems like several people who want to jump in and agree with someone who admitted they don't know squat about the United States Marine Corp getting his feelings hurt over something I posted.
Heck I take back my apology.....
I meant every word I posted.
This political correctness crap is nothing but crap.

The bottom line is Once a marine always a marine.....unless you were kicked out. There is neither an ex marine, nor a former marine....unless you had a dishonorable discharge.
Go ahead chuckr, ask your two children....

As for an apology? When the OP comes back and proves to me that I am wrong, then I will apologize to him.
Old 02-02-2015, 17:02   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
So are you a marine? Then why are YOU offended?

You say you have two children who are USMC? Ask them....will they ever claim to be an EX marine? Go ahead, ask them. Then you will understand.

It seems like several people who want to jump in and agree with someone who admitted they don't know squat about the United States Marine Corp getting his feelings hurt over something I posted.
Heck I take back my apology.....
I meant every word I posted.
This political correctness crap is nothing but crap.

The bottom line is Once a marine always a marine.....unless you were kicked out. There is neither an ex marine, nor a former marine....unless you had a dishonorable discharge.
Go ahead chuckr, ask your two children....

As for an apology? When the OP comes back and proves to me that I am wrong, then I will apologize to him.
Yeah, i kinda have to agree. Chuckr, i wasn't going to say anything as I'm now 1st Civ Div (ask your sons) but honestly, you being offended is kind of pointless. Ask your sons what they think when they hear Ex-Marine. I served 6 years and did three tours in the Sandbox. And i can tell you, i will NEVER call myself an Ex-Marine. An Ex-Marine means you were thrown out of the Marine Corps with a Bad Conduct Discharge and and are no longer considered worthy of the title "Marine." Now, as for the OP, not once have i accused him of being Dishonorably Discharged. However, by referring to himself as an Ex-Marine, that is immediately what comes to mind. If he simply mistyped or ment it to show that he is not an active duty Marine, fine. But how about we hear from him first before people who have not served in uniform chime in and make accusations?

Old 03-02-2015, 00:14   #74

what i was referring to is my son's are no longer active duty. marines they will be for eternity. they on occassion attend marine corps balls, and their usmc special items are displayed in a special place in their house.

i belive the op was referring to himself as an ex as if he said marine folks may believe he was still active duty.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:48   #75

Boat: Island Packet 35

Ah, I stand corrected regarding Chris's past experiance,Teleport. thanks for the correction, Jim and snowpetrel. thought he said in one of the episodes his lack of experiance, maybe ment with a Junk sail?? Still damn gutsy no mater what experiance level you have!

Just note, I am ex-military, 26 years, I do not mind saying EX, its just a term nothing more, I will always be military in mind/ body!! Agree with Chuckr.

This thread is heading in the wrong direction, just sayin!!
Closed Thread

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation