Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 13:48   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Need a boat for circumnavigation

Hi Bob,

I did read some of your previous posts and saw you had no previous boating experience.

I don't disagree that someone with great confidence, competence in a broad range of skills and the ability and determination to learn quickly can accomplish many things.

There are cases of totally inexperienced people buying a boat and taking off across the ocean and making a successful voyage. Google the bumfuzzles for one notable example. I myself took off on an extended voyage with very limited experience but a lot of research and study. However the odds of this kind of voyage being completed without significant mishap are very, very slim. From reports and posts on this forum from other attempts I would guess 1% at best will succeed. I managed a couple of mishaps in my learning process, one pretty significant.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.
Old 28-01-2015, 14:16   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

recorded for posterity on this thread.......let us know how you get on bob......

What happens to all the wannabees? - Page 51 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 28-01-2015, 14:48   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

LVB, are you familiar with Jeanne Socrates's several attempts to do this trip? It took her (IIRC) three attempts with two different boats to finally accomplish her goal. She isn't quite as old as you, but definitely a senior sailor. She had some advantages over you: a larger and likely better equipped vessel (in both cases), years of experience, enough money to not need sponsorship, with all its drawbacks.

We had the pleasure of spending some time with her when she had to stop in Hobart for repairs. This was on her second attempt, and the stop ruined her goal of non-stop and unassisted. I was left with admiration for her skills and her perseverance. Oh, she sorta shunned publicity which I also admire. Not that she was reclusive, just that she wasn't going about beating her own drum and bragging about being old, female and doing a record run as she easily could have been.

Personally I am somewhat repelled by publicity seeking "Guiness world record" attempts, where much ado is made about things yet unaccomplished. So, if you are successful at getting stuck into the talk show circuit, I won't be watching/listening, nor will I be amongst your ardent supporters. If perchance you are successful in doing the voyage, I will congratulate you and sincerely admire your accomplishment. I just don't want to hear about it before hand.

Jim
Old 28-01-2015, 15:46   #34

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
At age 80, I'm still trying to circumnavigate Catalina Island in our Formosa 30 ketch without tearing up a sail or two.

Try it the other way round

Old 28-01-2015, 16:42   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nevada Bob.

I admire anyone who looks at old age as no insurmountable obstacle to doing many things.

I also respect those who do try, and those who make it.

Like Jim (above) I think it is best to mention "I am going to set a new record" after the preparations have been done and the event is close to complete or almost a success.

There are some sailors who make it work and get it done and some are "senior" in age too. For example, I encourage you to read everything you can about this sailor who completed one of his EIGHT SOLO circumnavigations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoru_Saitō

Someone else mentioned another "senior" age sailor who has been promoting himself as setting a new world record for a solo circ. So it says on his website and blog.

Unfortunately, despite lots of funding and a custom 63 foot boat built for the task, AND the guidance of his son who did the same kind of "around alone" circ trip a decade before, this sailor has seen failure twice (most recently a few weeks ago).

Stanley Paris

You might find some lessons in his blog reports and also note his preparations and his subsequent two failures to complete even half of the trip.

My point? Well funded (or sponsored) and well equipped attempts can fail.
_________

My Suggestion for Getting Sponsors?

Do some solo sailing on some sailboat and get video clips of you at the helm. Do this in some challenging location or conditions, rather than calm bay waters. Show that you can take it and can handle the boat.

Good luck and Semper Fi!
Old 28-01-2015, 17:42   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Lots of overconfident people have gone to sea without giving Neptune due respect, and it rarely ends well for them.

It seems odd to me that someone such as yourself, with a military retirement and such success in everything you've ever done, including being an "accomplished author," doesn't just write a check for a suitable boat and then take it wherever you like. Why waste valuable time with the sponsorship/publicity slant? Surely someone such as yourself doesn't need the attention or to get his ego stroked by hustling publicity in pursuit of an obscure record that almost nobody cares much about? My advice is to just do whatever you want and if it turns out to be notable in some way, write a book about it afterwards if you want to cash in or feel the need for public acclaim, or just enjoy the feeling of accomplishment privately, by yourself. For now, I'd suggest that you google "Stanley Paris" for some reading that might help you gain much needed perspective.
I am a FORMER Marine not retired. and funds deplete rapidly when caring for a spouse with cancer for six years. SOOOO think a little before opening mouth.
Old 28-01-2015, 18:01   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Nevada Bob.

I admire anyone who looks at old age as no insurmountable obstacle to doing many things.

I also respect those who do try, and those who make it.

Like Jim (above) I think it is best to mention "I am going to set a new record" after the preparations have been done and the event is close to complete or almost a success.

There are some sailors who make it work and get it done and some are "senior" in age too. For example, I encourage you to read everything you can about this sailor who completed one of his EIGHT SOLO circumnavigations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoru_Saitō

Someone else mentioned another "senior" age sailor who has been promoting himself as setting a new world record for a solo circ. So it says on his website and blog.

Unfortunately, despite lots of funding and a custom 63 foot boat built for the task, AND the guidance of his son who did the same kind of "around alone" circ trip a decade before, this sailor has seen failure twice (most recently a few weeks ago).

Stanley Paris

You might find some lessons in his blog reports and also note his preparations and his subsequent two failures to complete even half of the trip.

My point? Well funded (or sponsored) and well equipped attempts can fail.
_________

My Suggestion for Getting Sponsors?

Do some solo sailing on some sailboat and get video clips of you at the helm. Do this in some challenging location or conditions, rather than calm bay waters. Show that you can take it and can handle the boat.

Good luck and Semper Fi!
Thanks so much for your valuable input. Like every comment both positive and negative on this site, I appreciate all of them. I will definitely click the link that you provided and once again Semper Fi. PS. I NEVER use the term Old Age.
Old 28-01-2015, 18:27   #38

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

LasVegasBob.....you have many on this Forum that are supportive of ones adventures, some will make lite of it and poke a bit of Fun at you but I don't think anyone means any ill harm towards you or your situation in Life.

There are many others that will remain quiet for some of this and later make a contribution. But, You may be quick to turn them away therefore forfeiting a large amount good advice.

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin .....

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
Old 28-01-2015, 19:25   #39

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasBob View Post
I am a FORMER Marine not retired. and funds deplete rapidly when caring for a spouse with cancer for six years. SOOOO think a little before opening mouth.
I'm sorry about your loss but am also familiar, having lost my dad to cancer 10 months ago and my wife being a 10 year survivor. It's no fun for anyone and CAN eat up savings quickly. However, you asked for advice without mentioning that but did emphasize how successful you have been at everything you've done so I gave you advice on the facts as presented. Ever hear of GIGO? I still think your idea of getting sponsored to set a record in an area where you currently have no expertise (or even average knowledge) is unlikely to ever become more than just a dream and a subject of discussions similar to this one. It's fine to dream but why not dream about how to become a competent sailor/cruiser and once you exceed that goal, THEN maybe begin to think about setting records. It'll take some time. Volunteer as free crew for some long distance deliveries and pick the skippers brains until they need a break from all your questions. When you think you are ready, buy whatever modest boat you can afford and get some experience sailing it and become intimately familiar with all its systems and all its sailing characteristics and all its foibles. Then, go a little further, and maybe all the way around....someday. Sponsorship is the smallest part of what you need right now. Go get some knowledge and experience and enjoy the process and enjoy the sailing. Those can all be had for free!
Old 28-01-2015, 22:52   #40

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

someone once said

you can learn to sail on a weekend, but learning to sail well takes a lifetime.

Not to belittle your personal courage or your learning ability or your survivability, but starting out on a non-stop, solo, unasissted circumnavigation when you have -0- sailing experience is a far reach.

Lots of things happen on a sailboat when things get rough. A dansih fellow just completed his his solo/unassisted. Simply plannning the trip ook a year and he had lots and lots assistance from another Dane who did this several years ago. The boat he bought to do it had already been once around.

And he was a good sailor - he didn't need to learn how to sail first.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 29-01-2015, 08:36   #41

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Not to belittle your personal courage or your learning ability or your survivability, but starting out on a non-stop, solo, unasissted circumnavigation when you have -0- sailing experience is a far reach.

Has he actually said non-stop unassisted or have we just assumed that since he's talking about records? He could be doing the milk run. Maybe he hasn't even thought about it.
Old 29-01-2015, 12:37   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Has he actually said non-stop unassisted or have we just assumed that since he's talking about records? He could be doing the milk run. Maybe he hasn't even thought about it.
Good question, but really, if he is talking about a milk run type circumnavigation, I doubt if he would be the oldest to do it. Just not that uncommon a feat.

Sheesh, I just don't like "world record attempts". Accomplishments are so much better than anticipated glory.

Jim
Old 29-01-2015, 21:07   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
LVB, are you familiar with Jeanne Socrates's several attempts to do this trip? It took her (IIRC) three attempts with two different boats to finally accomplish her goal. She isn't quite as old as you, but definitely a senior sailor. She had some advantages over you: a larger and likely better equipped vessel (in both cases), years of experience, enough money to not need sponsorship, with all its drawbacks.

We had the pleasure of spending some time with her when she had to stop in Hobart for repairs. This was on her second attempt, and the stop ruined her goal of non-stop and unassisted. I was left with admiration for her skills and her perseverance. Oh, she sorta shunned publicity which I also admire. Not that she was reclusive, just that she wasn't going about beating her own drum and bragging about being old, female and doing a record run as she easily could have been.

Personally I am somewhat repelled by publicity seeking "Guiness world record" attempts, where much ado is made about things yet unaccomplished. So, if you are successful at getting stuck into the talk show circuit, I won't be watching/listening, nor will I be amongst your ardent supporters. If perchance you are successful in doing the voyage, I will congratulate you and sincerely admire your accomplishment. I just don't want to hear about it before hand.

Jim
Please don't prejudge. I hastily wrote my original post and left out some extremely important details. First the world record bit came from an associate who said that I would probably be a record holder so it was on this off-hand comment that I decided to do so. I could not care LESS about publicity. This is being done for ME and how I feel about myself.
I am totally new to this site and forum so I will make mistakes so I am sincerely asking for EVERYONE's forgiveness and look for all of the advice that I can get............Even though it may be a hair-brained scheme.
Old 29-01-2015, 21:15   #44

Boat: Able 50

People who couldn't care LESS about publicity tend not to be interested in sponsors
Old 29-01-2015, 21:38   #45

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

..this post is for real??
LasVegasBob... your project is highly, almost impossible to do in your time frame...
Even if you have today a boat totally ready and money to tried it, your lack of experience is a big disadvantage.
What about first get some instruction (any ASA course and certification) then you can judge for yourself.
I do not want to sound disrespectful to you but with years over the water and few miles under my belt I can tell you.. pointed something you can really do... big loop maybe??
Good luck!

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation