Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2015, 21:57   #46

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Need a boat for circumnavigation

It's amazing how people feel the need to point out what you can't do. Just give it a shot, why not? People need something to do and something to look forward to. I think this man's goal is worthy whether it's achieved or not. I didn't know how to sail one bit 7 years ago, I've now visited 7 countries. Sure, I've screwed up and made mistakes but I'm still alive and don't regret a minute of it. Jessica Watsons experience was limited yet she made it. The old saying" if we wait for all the lights to be green we'd never go". And if someone states he wants to set a world record , why not, what's the problem? You know what Lasvegas Bob give it ago, if it dosent work out, so be it. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-01-2015, 21:59   #47

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have no idea about sponsorship but I could imagine a way you could market the whole idea without it coming across as a hairbrained scheme. I am sure many of us can point you in the direction of a suitable boat and rig that could serve you well. I am one who doesn't necessarily see it as hairbrained, but it is, I am sure you know, a terrific challenge. And it will be an inspiration to many older folks who may feel their lives are over long before 85. In my own case my father rowed (I helped too) his dory down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon at the age of 90. As far as suitable boats, Bluewaterboats.org has many to consider. You should have a look at the Atom Voyages website too. The easiest and maybe safest rig to singlehand is probably a junk rig or a single unstayed rig with a wishbone, like the Nonsuch. (probably get a lot of reactions to that one. Let the debate begin!) If it were me I'd move out to some place that gets a wide variety of weather close to shore so I could practice everyday. I have done most of my sailing in the Santa Barbara Channel which is great because you can practice light air sailing and then get some heavy weather experience within one 25 mile stretch. A place like that can help you prepare your skills well. I am betting you can find many experienced sailors who'd be happy to share their knowledge and sea time on their well-equipped boats. Did you say you are giving yourself 2 years to get ready? I can see that, if you are at it pretty much full time. One thing to consider to find out is how you feel, once you have the skills and a suitable boat, about being alone at sea for a week or two. For some that can be a real challenge. Of course you should read all the books you can from the folks who have done it. And I don't say that to discourage you, but to help you have a better chance, not just to survive, but to enjoy the experience.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 30-01-2015, 06:36   #48

Thank You for all that you said. Some important personal information about my life and my current options. First because of current circumstances I cannot (but would love to) move to a shoreline community. My learning will take place on Lake Mead here in Nevada. And like the sea off Santa Barbara, we get an almost constant change of weather and wind conditions in the lake. I have started making trips to the lake and have met some people. Hopefully I will be able to (soon) get onto one of the boats and do some basic learning. I have also started a pretty comprehensive collection of books that will be read before any attempts. I also see the wisdom of not setting such a tight schedule. SO, if it DOES take until I am ninety, so be it. I am in absolutely NO hurry and DO wish to do everything necessary to make the whole thing a success. As for being alone, that will be no problem. Also your recommendation about a junk rig or a single unstayed rig with a wishbone, like the Nonsuch will be taken seriously and I will be looking for reactions. Again, thanks for the valuable input. Everything will be seriously considered.
Old 30-01-2015, 06:43   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
someone once said

you can learn to sail on a weekend, but learning to sail well takes a lifetime.
I might slightly modify this to say "you can learn to sail on a weekend but learning seamanship takes a lifetime".

This just to differentiate the skills needed to hoist and trim the sails well enough to get from one place to another vs the skills need to plan the voyage, outfit and maintain the boat, navigate safely, keep the boat afloat, etc, etc, etc, etc.

This is the stuff that one doesn't learn over a weekend. Things that might not be known immediately to an inexperienced sailor like:

- the little hose that drains the sink in the head, if it comes loose will sink the boat.
- if I start the trip from X at a certain time of year then 6 months later that puts me in Y during hurricane season.
- the seas in certain areas in certain conditions have the potential for rogue waves.
- if you break down in the middle of nowhere how to repair or jury rig: engine, plumbing, wiring, steering, rigging, etc

This list could go on for pages.

Of course most of the little small things that could turn into big, boat sinking things seldom occur but when they do. How to guard against and deal with all of this is what one cannot learn in a weekend. It's what I still study and learn about every day and I've been sailing over 40 years.
Old 30-01-2015, 06:48   #50

NOT non stop and only Africa.
Old 30-01-2015, 06:52   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
It's amazing how people feel the need to point out what you can't do. Just give it a shot, why not? People need something to do and something to look forward to. I think this man's goal is worthy whether it's achieved or not. I didn't know how to sail one bit 7 years ago, I've now visited 7 countries. Sure, I've screwed up and made mistakes but I'm still alive and don't regret a minute of it. Jessica Watsons experience was limited yet she made it. The old saying" if we wait for all the lights to be green we'd never go". And if someone states he wants to set a world record , why not, what's the problem? You know what Lasvegas Bob give it ago, if it dosent work out, so be it. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. Thank you for what I am taking as encouragement. It is appreciated
Old 30-01-2015, 06:55   #52
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
People who couldn't care LESS about publicity tend not to be interested in sponsors
Sponsors are not interested unless there is publicity.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 30-01-2015, 07:01   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Sponsors are not interested unless there is publicity.
Yep, that is generally the case. Probably would want their name in giant letters on the side of your boat.
Old 30-01-2015, 07:11   #54

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

If all fails, you can always do a Crowhurst.

Sound to me like you want someone to pay your way. I say pay your own way, and if you make it, reap the reward. If ya dont then, que sera sera
Old 30-01-2015, 08:15   #55

Boat: Newport 28

Why not buy a boat now that needs some work and start fixing it up so potential sponsors know you are serious?

You can get the cheap stuff and they can handle the expensive outfitting part.
Old 30-01-2015, 09:26   #56

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Hello,

I don't have much experience either, but if I was attempting something like that I would first buy a good old boat, learn to sail, then prepare it for an Atlantic crossing and do it solo. Then and only then would I present my project to potential sponsors.. That would give you the experience and credibility.

Gil.
Old 30-01-2015, 09:42   #57

Boat: Island Packet 35

You should check out Chris And Jess Bray who rebuilt a, North Atlantic 29 Junk sail, in Nova Scotia Canada and sailed up through the north west passage, the youngest to skipper a boat through the passage. Teleport Expeditions - Chris Bray & Jess Taunton
There are about 24 youtube videos, done in great detail on the rebuild and the jurney which is still ongoing as their destination is Australia. the junk is a remarkable design and they sailed through some very extreme conditions. It will either make you change your mind or fill you full of piss and vinegar to start the jurney!!! and might i add, neither of themsailed before!!!
I hope the later of the two, piss and vinegar, prevails
Old 30-01-2015, 09:54   #58

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasBob View Post
NOT non stop and only Africa.
If it isn't non-stop, it's probably been done before by an old codger who just didn't tell anybody. I'm assuming by this you mean that you'd go through the Panama canal (correct me if I'm wrong).

To be honest, it will be a great personal accomplishment, but so many thousands of old and young people do it this way that you need to be a 14 year old dutch girl to get noticed.

I'm not sure what you mean by only Africa? Or have I mis-understood your route?
Old 30-01-2015, 10:08   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasBob View Post
Please don't prejudge. I hastily wrote my original post and left out some extremely important details. First the world record bit came from an associate who said that I would probably be a record holder so it was on this off-hand comment that I decided to do so. I could not care LESS about publicity. This is being done for ME and how I feel about myself.
I am totally new to this site and forum so I will make mistakes so I am sincerely asking for EVERYONE's forgiveness and look for all of the advice that I can get............Even though it may be a hair-brained scheme.
Psst. I know you're an accomplished author and all, but it's "harebrained" (one word, as in "rabbit-brained"), not "hair-brained."
Old 30-01-2015, 16:40   #60
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
You should check out Chris And Jess Bray who rebuilt a, North Atlantic 29 Junk sail, in Nova Scotia Canada and sailed up through the north west passage, the youngest to skipper a boat through the passage. Teleport Expeditions - Chris Bray & Jess Taunton
There are about 24 youtube videos, done in great detail on the rebuild and the jurney which is still ongoing as their destination is Australia. the junk is a remarkable design and they sailed through some very extreme conditions. It will either make you change your mind or fill you full of piss and vinegar to start the jurney!!! and might i add, neither of themsailed before!!!
I hope the later of the two, piss and vinegar, prevails
The Teleport boat was recently listed for sail. There is a proven boat.
Closed Thread

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation