Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2020, 12:44   #1

Nav Light Recommendations Wanted

So,

I will be replacing all of my nav lights in the spring and want suggestions as to which I should buy.

I was going to buy the Orca Green Marine masthead tricolour and anchor light because I've read it has no RFI

For motoring I'm running into brick walls for LED lights. OGM has some but they must be held away from the cabin top with a bracket which, in my opinion, looks tacky and will probably get ripped off or rip clothing. I'd prefer something more fitting to my little old English boat. Perko and Aqua Signal aren't cheap and have some worryingly poor reviews. No idea on the RFI issue.

Also need the 'masthead' steaming light/deck light.

Halp!
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 13:17   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Nav Light Recommendations Wanted

My experience with LED RFI is it doesn't project far from the offending light. Running lights should be far enough away from anything that might be bothered so not to cause problem. Switched the bulbs in my lower running lights to LED's. Have looked at them from a distance and they've looked like they did with incandescents only brighter and more visible but 1/10th draw. I switched from those old deck mounted Perko running lights to a bicolor on the pulpit. !/2 the draw no matter what the bulb, a bit higher for better visibility and doesn't get shaded by a line accidentally left in front of it. Only issue so far as you have to be careful running a spinnaker with one of the guys hooking it. Had a SS rod welded to the pulpit that keeps the guys or any other line from mangling it but still managed once to get a line hooked around it. Just slacked the line off and cured the problem.

Have a first generation masthead running/anchor Orca Green light and it's still working after many years. That couldn't be said for the incandescent anchor light that it replaced though that was probably 30+ years old.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 13:37   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

Another very positive vote for Orca Green masthead anchor/tricolour/strobe.

Been great since we installed in 2013. RFI interference hasn't been an issue (and AIS unaffected).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 14:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
My experience with LED RFI is it doesn't project far from the offending light. Running lights should be far enough away from anything that might be bothered so not to cause problem. Switched the bulbs in my lower running lights to LED's. Have looked at them from a distance and they've looked like they did with incandescents only brighter and more visible but 1/10th draw. I switched from those old deck mounted Perko running lights to a bicolor on the pulpit. !/2 the draw no matter what the bulb, a bit higher for better visibility and doesn't get shaded by a line accidentally left in front of it. Only issue so far as you have to be careful running a spinnaker with one of the guys hooking it. Had a SS rod welded to the pulpit that keeps the guys or any other line from mangling it but still managed once to get a line hooked around it. Just slacked the line off and cured the problem.

Have a first generation masthead running/anchor Orca Green light and it's still working after many years. That couldn't be said for the incandescent anchor light that it replaced though that was probably 30+ years old.
What are you using for the 'masthead' steaming light at mid mast? I saw an LED one with a deck lamp that can be switched from white to red I'm thinking of ordering but this may be an area worthy of a better built unit.

So, did you have to do anything special to the lower running lights you retrofitted? I read somewhere that a resistor might be needed but not sure how to tell if it is. I don't get why it would be necessary either.

Hmm yeah the old OGMs seem pretty highly regarded. I am concerned about the quality now that Weems and Plath took over production. Even their website is outdated and disorganized. I suppose I'll have to take the risk and try them. They sure look good.

Thanks for your advice
Old 29-11-2020, 14:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Another very positive vote for Orca Green masthead anchor/tricolour/strobe.

Been great since we installed in 2013. RFI interference hasn't been an issue (and AIS unaffected).
Great, I will get one. Thank you for the recommendation.

What do you have for steaming lights?
Old 29-11-2020, 14:49   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathenly Twins View Post
Great, I will get one. Thank you for the recommendation.

What do you have for steaming lights?
We have an ollder incandescent Aquasignal-like (combined with decklight). As we only use steaming light when engine is running, we dont worry about power consumption. (And for decklight we use our LED spreader lights, which are blindingly bright.)
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 17:22   #7

Boat: Tartan T4400

Heathenly Twins
How are you currently set up? Just an anchor and Tricolor light? DO you currently have a deck and steaming light combo? What type of boat? Do you have a bow and stern pulpit to put lights on
I just replaced a Lopolight Anchor/tricolor mast head light with the Orca Green light. Like the quality of it. Easy install and the switch is provided with it.
Forespar makes a deck/steaming light combo with an option for an LED bulb. This fixture attaches on the forward portion of the mast not at the mast head. Not sure of any company that makes a mast head tricolor steaming light combo. IMO the steaming light does not need to be an LED bulb, engine running there should be plenty or power available.
Old 29-11-2020, 18:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
We have an ollder incandescent Aquasignal-like (combined with decklight). As we only use steaming light when engine is running, we dont worry about power consumption. (And for decklight we use our LED spreader lights, which are blindingly bright.)
Oh ok. I was thinking of just going with incandescent for steaming but undecided.
Old 29-11-2020, 19:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
Heathenly Twins
How are you currently set up? Just an anchor and Tricolor light? DO you currently have a deck and steaming light combo? What type of boat? Do you have a bow and stern pulpit to put lights on
I just replaced a Lopolight Anchor/tricolor mast head light with the Orca Green light. Like the quality of it. Easy install and the switch is provided with it.
Forespar makes a deck/steaming light combo with an option for an LED bulb. This fixture attaches on the forward portion of the mast not at the mast head. Not sure of any company that makes a mast head tricolor steaming light combo. IMO the steaming light does not need to be an LED bulb, engine running there should be plenty or power available.
So your OGM tricolour was made by Weems and Plath, then? Good to know you are pleased with it.

Right now my boat has all dead incandescents. I want LED for the brightness and I'll also probably have them wired to the house bank as I plan to use the alternator for house bank charging most of the time.

I put quotes around masthead steaming light because that's what it's called here even though it's not at the masthead. Goofy, I know.

I think I'll just try some cheaper LEDs for steaming. I'll only be going to Alaska and back so hopefully they at least last for that.
Old 30-11-2020, 01:24   #10

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Just some more info on OGM in this thread, mostly not positive:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...nd-205262.html
But who knows the situation has changed since that thread (2 years ago).
I have Hella LED all round and on top.
Old 30-11-2020, 01:54   #11

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I second -- or third ?? -- Hella Marine.... which are actually made in NZ.

I've had a very long and poor experience with Aquasignal incandescent...

My outlier is my sternlight.... Original as built 35 years ago ...same incandescent bulb for at least 25 years.... made by Lucas Marine
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 09:23   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Take a look at these... https://signalmate.com/navigation-light-models/

We had their tri-color on the masthead and used their steaming light as well on our previous sailboat.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 09:30   #13

Boat: FP Helia 44

I am looking at this new tech tri-color for the mast head. Does Not need additional cabling.

https://store.marinebeam.com/led-tri...bination-bulb/
Heliades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 10:38   #14

Boat: Tartan T4400

Heathenly Twins
Yes I just purchased my Orca Green light in Aug and Weems and Plath owns it. It was installed in Sept. Not doing any overnight anchoring currently. I use my deck nav lights mostly due to the traffic and people do not seem to look up expect lights low on the water. Use the mast head tricolor when in open ocean.
Thanks for the clarification on mast head steaming. .
Old 30-11-2020, 12:38   #15

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

I will STRONGLY recommend AGAINST Orca Green Marine! I replaced all my Nav lights with OGM and had nothing but problems.

The masthead light leaked twice and stopped working. The auto on/off stopped working on the second one.

My starboard light has leaked 2x. OGM stopped replying and then “went out of business”. Multiple complaints to BBB.

Then Weems and Plath bought them , but Would NOT honor the lifetime warranty.

Do a search and you will see I’m not the only one who experienced problems.

A big NO to OGM.

In March I replaced the anchor light with a Lunasea. So far extremely pleased. It’s bright, it comes on every night and turns off every morning.

Jason
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, wanted