Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2020, 12:58   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Nav Light Recommendations Wanted

If i was redoing my mast lights, I'd go with the Red over Green on the masthead with normal deck level running lights. (Red 1M over Green. Two 180 Greens with a 360 Red would do nicely.) Masthead running lights are not as noticeable as ones closer to deck level, and tend to make you look farther away than you actually are. (I assume you know COLREGS prohibit using both a masthead tri-color and deck level running lights at the same time. I've seen people do that too many times to count.) New light fixtures should not be something you will need to buy very often, so get good ones now. Depending on the size of your vessel, you can get a combo RED/GREEN for the bow, or separate fixtures for the cabin sides or even on the shrouds.

Fair Winds
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 13:24   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'm a powerboat, but I'm running the Hella NaviLED Pro lights for side lights and stern light. Masthead steaming / anchor light is a Signal Mate unit that can be lit as either a 225* masthead or a very bright anchor light (as it's 3nm visible range). So far all have worked well and they're all very bright and visible.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 17:38   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
I will STRONGLY recommend AGAINST Orca Green Marine! I replaced all my Nav lights with OGM and had nothing but problems.

The masthead light leaked twice and stopped working. The auto on/off stopped working on the second one.

My starboard light has leaked 2x. OGM stopped replying and then “went out of business”. Multiple complaints to BBB.

Then Weems and Plath bought them , but Would NOT honor the lifetime warranty.

Do a search and you will see I’m not the only one who experienced problems.

A big NO to OGM.

In March I replaced the anchor light with a Lunasea. So far extremely pleased. It’s bright, it comes on every night and turns off every morning.

Jason
Wow, thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely avoid Weems and Plath, then. No wonder their site hasn't been updated.

Lunasea anchor light, hey? What do you have for all the rest of the lights?

I am starting to consider just retrofitting my incandescent light housings with LED. I don't mind spending money for good stuff but the fact that I was about to drop over a thousand dollars on a handful of potentially junk lights gives me pause 🤔 hmmm.
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 17:48   #19

Boat: Sceptre 41

I am very sorry... must be getting older!

We do NOT have an Orca Green...

We have LUNASEA tricolour/strobe and are very happy with it (since 2013).

Sorry.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 19:19   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I second -- or third ?? -- Hella Marine.... which are actually made in NZ.
This. Excellent lights, very happy with mine.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 20:49   #21

Peters & Bey. i just bought a deck/ steaming light combo and a masthead anchor light. i havn't installed them yet but the build quality is outstanding. if these suckers leak or fail its because my boat ran aground on a coral reef in the inverted position and my mast is now protruding from my rear end.

my original Peters & Bey lasted 40 years and actually still work after new bulbs and some cleaning but they are oldschool incandescent. if i have to replace these new ones within the next 40 years i will be surprised. that being said i will be doing hard labor for a month and a half to pay for them.
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, wanted