Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 12:27   #16

Re: Nauticat Sailboat Owners

I have a set of Simpson traditional davits to install with the transom mount adapter. My question is... Is the transom strong enough with the supplied backing plate or should there be additional interior support added?
If you have pictures of the inside of the mount it would be helpful. Thanks, Mike
nortom71@gmail.com
nortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 15:15   #17
cruiser

Well this is timely as I am seeking out and reviewing Nauticat vessels in the June'July window.

I was really hoping to compare the multiples of Nauticats available. I see sooo many dif sizes layouts and really need to refine my choices.

I wont be in the market for anything much over 40ft as I will mostly be solo.

I see a lot of the 33's available and do like it.. but also had great input on the 36 and 38..models.

I won't be able to afford anything "new" at this point. I do plan to spend most of my time shuttling from the Seattle area.. up to Alaska and on across the Pacific to Fr.Pol. etc etc.

If any of you experienced owners have any guidance on which model to NOT buy or preferable buy.. I would be very grateful.

Thanks for posting the thread I look forward to reading all your posts.
passage_paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 12:47   #18

I’m in the process of buying a Nauticat 40, and would love to connect with any owners based in the PNW. Coronavirus is slowing the process so I can’t get it closed until it blows over. Dying to get aboard and on the water!
NauticatDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 16:16   #19

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauticatDriver View Post
I’m in the process of buying a Nauticat 40, and would love to connect with any owners based in the PNW. Coronavirus is slowing the process so I can’t get it closed until it blows over. Dying to get aboard and on the water!
Join us online at NauticatUSA.com. It's a new site, but the forum is proving to be quite active. Great bunch of people on there. Terrific resource.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 20:30   #20

Thanks for the info, I just joined that group!
NauticatDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:18   #21

Boat: Nauticat 33'

Looking for the fuse panel diagram for my 1984 Nauticat 33. Anybody out there that can help please? Thanks.
Plinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 01:31   #22

Boat: Macwester 32

Hello everyone!

I am considering to buy Nauticat 40 (1993).
My major concern is the teak deck poor condition and so, there is a high

chance of moisture in deck sandwich.
However, boat owner says that deck in 1993 was made of solid laminate.

Is it true?
Can anyone confirm or disagree?

Thanks!!!
gray_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 15:05   #23

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray_sailor View Post
Hello everyone!

I am considering to buy Nauticat 40 (1993).
My major concern is the teak deck poor condition and so, there is a high

chance of moisture in deck sandwich.
However, boat owner says that deck in 1993 was made of solid laminate.

Is it true?
Can anyone confirm or disagree?

Thanks!!!

No concern there. The shell of that thing a solid fiberglass. I’m in the process of pulling up rotten teak on my aft decks. Lots of holes, fill ‘me and paint ‘em. Move on...

I upgraded to the Nauticarazi 43 from a battle-tank Westsail 32 because my wife said we needed a bigger boat. [emoji16]

I was shocked when I drilled through the upper hull to install a tank vent. The hull is THICK. I’d say thicker than the Westsail, which Is known to be over built. All this strength in a nimble fin-keeler. Who knew? N40 is a fantastic boat. Just slightly shorter than our N43. Don’t let the performance fool you. It’s a tough boat.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 09:21   #24

Dear All Nauticat owners.,
After long thinking I ecided to buy a Nauticat 33.
CAn you please respond if you have one for sale??
Iam interested in A Nauticat in any condition.
Please contact me at hslotboom@live.nl
hslotboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 14:59   #25

Happy Solstice Forum,

I was born on the crest of a wave...oh wait. Not that. I’m looking for feedback on the Nauticat 32. I think it’s basically the same as the later 321. Looking for a sailboat I can safely single hand and live aboard. There are a couple for sale. One has in mast furling main, the other has a standard main. Would you lean strongly towards one or the other?

I’m 60. My only experience is a weeklong live aboard course on a 38 foot sloop in the San Juan islands. I’m reasonably fit, average intelligence, able to learn, can fix things.

The in mast furling boat does not have air conditioning advertised. The other one does. I’ll need it for where I plan to be. Is it a major ordeal to have it installed?

I’ve been looking at boats a long time now but just came across the Nauticats, and I like the 32. The reason I like it is that it has a reputation of being well built and capable of handling rough conditions...in other words it’s safe. I also really like the pilot house with the 360 views, and the indoor helm. It just seems like a really cool all around voyaging machine for a solo sailor.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom with a rookie.
wilburleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 19:40   #26

Boat: Nauticat 43

wilburleft, I think Little Yacht Sales in Kemah, TX has a 1998 Nauticat 32 for sale.
Old 21-06-2021, 20:24   #27

Hey Ded. Yes, it looks like a nice one. There’s another in New Hampshire that looks nice too. But it has a furlong by main,, which maybe I want for solo sailing, and no air conditioner, which I know I want.

I reckon the one in Texas with the standard main will perform better and be less prone to problems. Your thoughts?
Old 22-06-2021, 07:24   #28

I knew the owner of the TX Nauticat. Unfortunately, the phone number I had for him has been disconnected, which I learned when I tried to call him to tell him of your interest. The boat was well maintained and always looked pristine. I've been on that boat and it has always been clean. I'm unsure how she sails.

I'm unsure where you're sailing out of, but in Texas and Florida air conditioning is very pleasant. Primarily for the heat, but also for bugs and when it rains for an extended time.

I can attest that a pilothouse sailboat is very nice for the open feeling, panoramic view, inside enjoyment of pretty days, refuge from nasty weather, ability to do most work inside on overnight passages. Nauticat's are good, strong boats.
Old 22-06-2021, 23:30   #29

Ded reckoner, really kind of you to try reaching the owner, and to give me the inside skinny on that boat. I’d probably start out in Florida. Would like to explore tropical places like the Caribbean and Central America, maybe the loop too. I’m in Alaska now, so seeing the boat will require a trip south. Thanks for your opinion on this boat.
Old 24-06-2021, 14:38   #30

We've discontinuously done all but the east to west Great Lakes portion to complete the Great Loop. Our boat was purchased in Wisconsin and we took it across Lake Michigan and then down the rivers starting at Chicago (where we dropped the mast). We had our boat for a few years in the Galveston Bay area and left from there to get to Long Island where we are now.

We hope get to the Bahamas and Caribbean next year and come back to Florida by way of the Spanish Main.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat