Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2012, 13:35   #1

Boat: 2000 Mainship 390
Narrowing Down a Northeast Coastal Cruiser

I am looking for a 27 to 30 foot cruiser that I can use in NH and Maine through summers for a couple of years. I plan to go south after that but know enough to get the boat for today's needs today and worry about later later. I have narrowed my choice between a 1978 27' Cal 2-27 and a 1981 Hunter 27. Any thoughts from those with experience on either or both. I know when they get that old its more about condition but I also know you guys are a wealth of knowledge. I am trying to stay around $15k.
ricktara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 15:11   #2

Boat: Tartan 34C
Re: Narrowing Down a Notheast Coastal Cruiser

Best advice I got while looking at the same criteria for Buzzards Bay was to get something sturdy enough to handle the waters, and not a particular make and model...I started by first narrowing my boats down to a few choices until I realized, there's a ton of boats out there that can fit my needs...

So I started looking with an open mind at 25-29 foot boats and the boat chose me in the end...A 1968 Tartan 27 Yawl...

Although not the most roomy, extremely happy with my choice based on its seaworthiness, simplicity, pedigree and looks...looking forward to having this thing for years to come!
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 15:16   #3

Boat: Bristol 38.8

A Northeast costal cruiser is no different than any other coastal cxruiser, except that it has radar and a heater.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 15:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcoasting View Post
Best advice I got while looking at the same criteria for Buzzards Bay was to get something sturdy enough to handle the waters, and not a particular make and model...I started by first narrowing my boats down to a few choices until I realized, there's a ton of boats out there that can fit my needs...

So I started looking with an open mind at 25-29 foot boats and the boat chose me in the end...A 1968 Tartan 27 Yawl...

Although not the most roomy, extremely happy with my choice based on its seaworthiness, simplicity, pedigree and looks...looking forward to having this thing for years to come!
I was a little hesitant to look at boats from 60's. I don't know why. I am very able and can fix almost anything myself (especially now with internet for information) I will just do as you and expand my horizons until the right one jumps at me.
Thanks
Old 25-05-2012, 19:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktara View Post
I was a little hesitant to look at boats from 60's. I don't know why. I am very able and can fix almost anything myself (especially now with internet for information) I will just do as you and expand my horizons until the right one jumps at me.
Thanks
Don't be...newer boats could have just as many, if not more problems than well cared for older boats...

For example, for myself, I did not necessarily want a fast boat, but a boat that is stable and fits my wife's and I basic needs in order to cruise our waters...of course, many older boats are slower than newer molds but that is basically due to the full keels & thicker hulls (way thicker), thus making them heavier...but that results in them being more stable, a bit more mistake forgiving, and more apt to handle rougher seas better.

At the price point you're looking at, the most important thing is to get a real good survey...

A well taken care of older boat that has had all its issues fixed and upgraded to today's standards (roller furling, newer sails, newer winches, etc) will make you just as happy if not happier due to how it handles rougher seas than a newer boat. Just make sure you research the heck of whatever boat you're looking at and look at its characteristics as they will tell you how it should handle you and your crew.

Just make sure whatever boat you finally get meets the standards you're looking for...
Old 25-05-2012, 19:11   #6

Thanks for the thoughts
Old 13-06-2012, 07:46   #7

I just finished my search by purchasing a watkins 29. Can't wait to get her wet.
Old 13-06-2012, 07:52   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

congratulations on the new boat. May it keep you dry.
Old 13-06-2012, 08:42   #9

Nice! Congrats! Glad you opened your options and found the boat that will fit you well!

Not sure about the quality of those boats but as far as how the shape and design, it looks really nice! 6'3" head room and 10ft beam means it must be really roomy inside!

The shallow keel design and total displacement looks like it will be a nice blend for the waters up here for comfort and speed...Read that the decks are wood cored so take a look at the deck fittings closely and re-bed anything if you have any doubt...But research this from other Watkins owners before tacling as the builder may have done things right...Most builders did not bed fittings properly...Take a look at this for proper bedding tips: Re-Bedding Deck Hardware Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

Post some pics of her!
Old 13-06-2012, 08:47   #10

thanks,
now that I actually have a boat I look forward to building relationships on this forum.
Old 13-06-2012, 10:49   #11
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Narrowing Down a Northeast Coastal Cruiser

nice looking boat. congrats and good luck on your sail.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser