Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 12:07   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 27
My top four

So my top four for retirement are

Oyster 53
Amel 54
Hylas 49
Hallberrg-Rassy 53

My process right now is going through parts of the boats and rating the things that are important to me. ie

Which one has the best
engine room
dinghy stowage
galley
place for dive compressor
etc
throughout every system on the boat and then come up with an a conclusive list and score for each boat. I've never heard of this being done it seems most shoppers decisions are mostly emotional. Has any one done this or know someone that has? Is this not worthwhile and a waste of time?
outbound_308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 13:17   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: My top four

Man those are all good boats. Stop with your “lists” and get the one that your heart likes!
Old 01-03-2020, 14:03   #3

Well it's kind of the difference between blonde, brunette, redhead....Like them all for different reasons. So Kind of just quantifying whats what. I'm singles so for instance I can buy a boat because it has a great engine room and I know how much better it's going to my life down the line vs. this one has a pretty interior. So It's more of a list of what's important to me and my plans and how well that boat fits those plans. Above all I appreciate a quality build so i would probably be happy with any of those four. So it's more of a nit picking of what is more practical in the systems design.
Old 01-03-2020, 14:04   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Man those are all good boats. Stop with your “lists” and get the one that your heart likes!

This....

Like the boat you like and accept that there will be minor things you don’t like.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 14:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound_308 View Post
So my top four for retirement are

Oyster 53
Amel 54
Hylas 49
Hallberrg-Rassy 53

My process right now is going through parts of the boats and rating the things that are important to me. ie

Which one has the best
engine room
dinghy stowage
galley
place for dive compressor
etc
throughout every system on the boat and then come up with an a conclusive list and score for each boat. I've never heard of this being done it seems most shoppers decisions are mostly emotional. Has any one done this or know someone that has? Is this not worthwhile and a waste of time?
From an admitted Amel Fan Boy (Own a 53) All of these boats on your list are truly awesome machines. None of them would be a disappointment. The Hylas is a bit at a disadvantage on this list just because of its size.

Best engine room: Amel 54, Hands down. A delight to work in.

Dinghy storage: Toss up. Depends on the dinghy you chose. If you are going with a RIB all of them need to store on deck. If you go with a fully deflatable air floor, Amel's aft locker will swallow one whole.

Galley: All good. Personnel preference of the cook.

Dive Compressor: Amel factory installed dive compressors as an option in the cockpit locker. Neat and clean install. Not familar with this on the others.

Amel 54 is also divided into 6 separate water tight compartments. (Chain locker, Forward Cabin, Main saloon, Aft Cabin, Aft Locker, Engine room) Any two of them will float the boat. Nobody else does this. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

For the other systems you'll have to do your own research on comparisons! Your shopping list is very similar to ours when we started looking for our current boat.

As important as good logical analysis is, you will ultimately pick the one that tugs on your heartstrings.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 15:09   #6

I've seen the dive compressor mounted in there I didn't know that was a factory install. I was also looking at some of the folding ribs out now thinking the aft locker on the amel could swallow those as well. But yeah that engine room really is the deal for me I really like it.
Old 01-03-2020, 18:54   #7

What do you think abt having two dinghys? I know Lynn Pardey said that was one extravigance she sould have liked.

Was thinking something like an oc tender as the main dinghy, and a something like an frib for the second