Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2015, 20:51   #1

My marina was supposed to wash my boat... Painted it too what would you do?

I asked my Marina to haul and wash my boat. They were backed up. This was about three weeks ago.

Today I got a Voicemail saying they hauled it, washed it and painted it, and tried to upsell me on a cutlass bearing (my boat was surveyed last year I was told the bearing is going but will last another few years.)

I didn't call them back yet, what should I do?

I don't want to pay for it. There was no service forms or anything signed. I bought the boat two years ago and was told it had 'long term' five year paint on it, which was confirmed? By the surveyor...
PrairieBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 20:53   #2

Re: My marina was supposed to wash my boat... Painted it too what would you do?

Also I'm pretty sure they asked if I wanted paint when I scheduled it and I said no. However this may not have happened and it may be a memory from last year when I had it hauled and washed. The mechanic/shopis a separate company from the Marina but I think the same people own it.
PrairieBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 06:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieBones View Post
I asked my Marina to haul and wash my boat. They were backed up. This was about three weeks ago.

Today I got a Voicemail saying they hauled it, washed it and painted it, and tried to upsell me on a cutlass bearing (my boat was surveyed last year I was told the bearing is going but will last another few years.)

I didn't call them back yet, what should I do?

I don't want to pay for it. There was no service forms or anything signed. I bought the boat two years ago and was told it had 'long term' five year paint on it, which was confirmed? By the surveyor...
You have two choices.

#1 kill the relationship with your Marina and don't pay. (they will probably impound your boat anyway)

#2 Haggle on price and get a discount and ask them next time to call you before doing any work not previously discussed.

If you don't have the readies ask to be able to pay over time because you did not anticipating them doing any work without your authorisation.

If they were so backed up as you say then it does not sound like they are profiteering. Maybe they are just being pragmatic and recognised a problem a little further gone since the survey which would require you hauling the boat out again anyway.

How much is the bill? I do agree its horrible when something like that happens. I would apply a big hunk of diplomacy, accept they will get a pay day, get the price down as much as I could, settle and set in stone your desire in future that all work needed be let known to you before any work was carried out.
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:07   #4

learn to do your own work from now on, Take the bullet on this one and learn from it.
FastCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:12   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

I know that in my business, if I provided a service that the customer had not requested, I would not expect to be paid for it nor would I ask to be paid for it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCruiser View Post
learn to do your own work from now on, Take the bullet on this one and learn from it.
But the OP didn't say anything about whether or not he could do his own work. The point was the yard did work he neither requested nor authorized except for the hauling, which really isn't a do it yourself since most of don't own a Travel-Lift.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:23   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

If it was me, I'd call them back, and ask why they had anti-fouled when you had only requested a haul and wash.

In any event, I think it's the owners choice when it comes down to what type of anti-foul is used, it may be that the paint they applied is not compatible with the original coatings.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:24   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

• 5-year paint? I seriously doubt that. It was probably due.
  • How is the price for the service?
  • Can't say about the cutless. Are you in any position to judge? My point here is that until you develop the expertise you can't even tell if your boat is seaworthy, and that is an uncomfortable position to be in, IMHO.
If the boat is still on the hard, good luck getting it launched without paying the bill. You will certainly loose the whole season unless you negotiate something.

Going forward, the lesson is to put ALL work orders in writing, whether the yard requires it or not. Have them sign. Better for everyone. If you could not remember the conversation, there is NO CHANCE they could remember, and then correctly inform a contractor 4-6 months later.

This may be confusing, but if the work was done for a fare price, have you really been screwed or damaged? Probably not. Sure, I would be hoping mad at first, since I would been planning to do it myself, but I'd get over it and be MUCH more clear in the future. My marina uses very comprehensive work orders when hauling, and I am glad of that. Never a question.
Old 14-05-2015, 07:29   #9

My feeling is, it's your boat on paper. Police will respect that. If there is no service agreement, they will have to release it. You will probably be on the hook for the haul in and out, as I would imagine that was in writing. I agree about diplomacy. Be prepared to pay for it all, or remove it at once and don't pay for paint or any contested charges. They will have to prove their case in court.
Be diplomatic, but have your goals of resolution set when you talk to them about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Shyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:43   #10

As my husband and I prepare ourselves for buying a boat and living full time on it, I find this situation very concerning. Are there no contracts with the marinas when you hire them to do work like this? If so, and they did work that was not authorized, wouldn't they be at fault and possibly could be sued for damages? Seems to me like the equivalent to taking your white car through the car wash and it came out the other side blue!
IslandSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:44   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I would be reluctant to pay for something I didn't agree to. If the bottom needed painting anyway, and it has been done to an acceptable standard, then offer to pay for the materials only - but check this cost before opening your negiotiations. Suggest to the yard, diplomatically, that you shall ID them on one of the forums if they persist in being unreasonable. Unfortunately, as others point out, they may hold your boat hostage as well as advising other marina's of their version of events. Good luck - tell us who / where the marina is?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:55   #12

Shyfox,

The police are a bystander. This is handled under Admiralty Law. The marina will put on a maritime lien that will show up on the boat's CG registration. With the lien filed they may also padlock the boat to the dock.

A lien is very easy for them to do and very hard for the owner to get removed without paying the bill plus interest and legal costs. To fight it in court he would need to use an admiralty lawyer. He won't ever be able to sell the boat with the lien attached.

Go talk with the marina manager (in person if possible). Assume it was an honest mistake or confusion. Any marina that did this as a routine business practice would quickly lose customers. You'll probably get some discount. If you are a long term customer, you might even get the whole labor and hauling charge erased (but not the cost of paint). And if you aren't a jerk about it, the manager will look for ways to "make it up to you" in the future (assuming you keep using the marina).
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:56   #13
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Why would you haul a boat just to wash it?
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:01   #14

Boat: Seaward 25

Don't panic yet. The person leaving the message may have been confused. If they did paint it I would start with "What did you paint it with and why?" Don't spend much time with the counter person but go directly to whoever has authority to make it right and give them every chance to do so.

Things not to do early in the discussion:

Don't threaten to sue and don't threaten to take it on-line. In the customer service business, these are both conversation stoppers. Use terms like "What can you do to make this right?" Maybe you will walk away with a discounted price on a needed paint job and they will keep a valued customer. If they do make it right be sure to sing their praises loudly on here!
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:01   #15

Boat: Catalina 34

I would simply return their call and mention that you don't recall requesting bottom paint and were never asked which paint you wanted applied. Ask if they have documentation of the request. They may own it as their own miscommunication blunder and waive the fee, or offer you a deal. Many folks are reasonable after all, particularly when you're upfront and honest.

As for them upselling a cutlass bearing, I'd look at that as a positive. They took the time to look at your boat and offer a service/part that it sounds like may be needed in the near future. If you don't want the new bearing, just say "no thanks".

Tags
paint