Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 15:16   #106

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: My marina was supposed to wash my boat... Painted it too what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
It was completely my fault - I didn't get any kind of quote or anything before hand - like I said I thought it would be a 2 hour job to install the PSS. They mentioned they may have to cut the shaft and I said 'ok'. For $6000 (and that doesn't include the haulout/yard time) I would have shopped around or just done it myself - the whole point of getting the yard to do the PSS install was so it would be done in a day and I could return to my home marina (I'm a liveaboard). Turns out they are a closed shop so they had to order the prop shaft from 'their guy' and the same with the prop - both of those were backed up so it took over two weeks of sitting on the hard to get the thing finished anyway .

And then they didn't reinstall the rudder correctly. I wrote them an email but never heard back. What a mess.

Not really, I think it's pretty common they told me. The boat is from 1980 and has far as I could tell had original shaft/coupling.
Sorry for your situation. I don't buy, " they told me.". But then again it isn't my money.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 18:01   #107
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

alctel-
Completely your fault?

I might argue with that. If I'm making a business agreement with someone, and they aren't sure of what they're agreeing to, then it is ALSO MY FAULT if the terms are unclear to the other guy. A professional will always either send a memo, or at least say "OK, so let's make sure we're on the same page. We're going to....and that is going to cost..."

You shouldn't have any confusion over what you were buying, even if you were drunk at the time. Someone should have picked up on that and called you back the morning after.(G)

As to the rudder being installed wrong? That kinda confirms that the shop wasn't all so professional, doesn't it? You install a rudder, it isn't asking too much that you check on which end is pointing forward, and if not, why not.

$100 for bottom paint...OK, one gallon on a 28' boat, maybe spread thin. $100 for a bottom paint JOB including the paint? Someone is hiring their labor in the Home Depot parking lot. Which would explain a rudder problem, or why "Oh, you wanted THAT boat?" got painted.

Look in the mirror. Unless you're wearing the round red nose and rainbow fright wig...there's a good chance it isn't ALL your fault.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 06:40   #108

Boat: Rafiki 37

I guess so. I am still annoyed at myself for just agreeing over the phone, instead of getting a firm quote, in writing.
Old 18-05-2015, 09:40   #109
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I am still annoyed at myself for just agreeing over the phone, instead of getting a firm quote, in writing. "
That's not always a problem now. I had some, ah, "reality variations" with some important business dealings that way once, many years ago. I took to recording the calls (legal in my state) and I found that when you go back to check a recording, and you can tell the other person "No, that's not what you said, would you like to hear the tape?" they get real creative about backpeddling real fast on what they just swore they never could have said.

Oddly enough, recording calls has become very difficult today. You used to be able to install an automatic recorder on any Palm Treo or other cell phone, but now almost all the carriers themselves have removed critical OS code (from Android, and Apple just won't supply it) in order to block recording. You can get past that, but it means rooting phones and other complications that will stymy a casual user. In Red China, North Korea all sorts of places known for their freedom [sic] no problem using the recorders. In the US, everyone says someone else blocked them, but they are being blocked.
Or you buy an inexpensive Olympus or Radio Shack recorder.(G) The cell phones are easier, in the sense that the software keeps a log of who each call was to, and when, so you don't have to manually track and label them all.

I mention cell phones specifically, because Congress says only the FCC can regulate cell phones, and the FCC reminds us that a cell phone is a RADIO not a TELEPHONE, so wiretap and recording laws simply do not apply to it, no matter who thinks otherwise.
Except, even they don't know who is blocking the call recorders.

Coming back On Topic...just saying, when someone tells you that you've simply forgotten, you must have been on drugs, you're all wrong and they never said something? Yeah, they're often lying. And sometimes, it is simple enough to prove.

Preying on fear, uncertainty, doubt (FUD) insecurity...these are all sadly normal business tactics today.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint