Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2021, 11:34   #16
cruiser

Re: My first sailboat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
EDIT: It looks like they start you with the Catalina 22s in ASA 101. The better for you!!
ASA 101 makes sense then. I'll check.
Belle25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 11:38   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
...I trailer mine...
I don't think I'll ever trailer. I'll also be avoiding the retractable keels. I'll keep ur advice in mind though.
Old 22-02-2021, 11:40   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
As for the 22 vs the 25, that depends on your planned usage. For a liveaboard (!) the 25 might make more sense. For gunkholing maybe the centerboard 22 makes more...
I'll check the reviews. I think I'm heeling towards a 25ft fin keel Catalina.
Old 22-02-2021, 11:41   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
This is so easy...take your ASA class and practice on the 22 before you do anything. Then you get the 25. That was easy.
I start to guess any class will provide a 22, and then I can either move to a bigger or stay on the same size.
Old 22-02-2021, 11:43   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Belle, one reason I pointed you to this ASA school/club is because they start you out on the boat you want to buy.

I've given you $0.04 now, so I'll shut up and let others argue.
I think your advice makes so much sense. Thank you.
Old 22-02-2021, 11:44   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Well yes, but what did you start out on... not arguing, just curious.
No experience at all.
Old 22-02-2021, 11:46   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks to my Canadian sea cadet dad, I 'started out' on the Bristol 22 (Pictured w/ Dad).

[EDIT: Sorry, I'm an Old, so I can't figure out how to make this a vertical :-| ]

Looks a bit like the 1972 version of a Catalina 22 ;-)
Very helpful. Thanks. I think the photo worked out perfectly.
Old 22-02-2021, 11:48   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
pick up a copy of
Know Your Boat: The Guide to Everything That Makes Your Boat Work
by David Kroenke
I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 22-02-2021, 11:51   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Pardon mon ignorance. I actually had no idea.

I was looking for something that meant "non-American first sailing class that gives you a certificate that an ASA-affiliated club will accept as the basis for sailing daysailer" and plugged in the first thing I thought off. Thanks for pointing that out, Wing. I move to strike my comment from the record Belle, I apologize for posting that piece of misinformation.
no need for apologizes. u've helped me tremendeously with a great advice. thanks again.
Old 22-02-2021, 12:05   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
p.s. if you are young and really want sailing to be an important part of your life, do yourself a huge favour and avoid settling down with a non-sailor. each and every day, make sure all of your decisions point in the direction of your dream. life is much too short for detours.
All I need is serenity and to be all alone for a long while...
Old 22-02-2021, 12:53   #26

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle25 View Post
I start to guess any class will provide a 22, and then I can either move to a bigger or stay on the same size.
In the US, sailing schools are usually sponsored by the American Sailing Association. Beginners start at ASA 101 and learn how to sail a small keel boat. The course descriptions are pretty vague as to what you'll actually learn but you do learn how to sail.

Right now I'm in the middle of taking ASA 101 and will be taking 103 immediately afterward. We were out beyond the breakwater the very first day (see my photo gallery for pics). I had to demonstrate that I knew how to tie a couple of easy knots (bowline and figure 8) and what the parts of the boat were called plus hanking on the jib and connecting the halyards to both the jib and main.

At that point my instructor took us away from the dock and I raised the sails. In minutes he explained and showed me how to tack the boat. Immediately after that I was at the helm tacking the boat and watching the telltales to keep us on course.

I was at the helm when we doused the sails and motored back to the slip. I docked the boat and my instructor tied us up.

Second week was jibing. I took us off the dock, out of the marina and went sailing then docking us again this time after we were done (with a lot fewer mistakes than the first time)

Third week was sailing on all points of sail. Close hauled, close reach, beam reach, and broad reach before jibing and coming back up to close hauled again only to tack and resume our prior course.

Sailing to the dock and Man Overboard are weeks 4 and 5 then you test for your ASA 101 sticker in your logbook. It's all done in a Catalina 22 or similar.

ASA 103 uses a bigger boat than the Catalina 22 and this is where you learn all the things you don't know about how to sail other than sailing the boat. You learn how to use the radio, charts, etc. That class has what they call a night sail (which is actually just sailing in the evening after dark) and ends with a "confidence sail" where you take the boat out by yourself (with your own crew and your instructor stays behind).

When I started my ASA 101 class I had sailed a dingy a few times and had been out as passenger on a few other boats. I'm not done with my ASA 101 class and yet I can now sail a boat single handed through all aspects from the dock, to raising/lowering the sails, sailing all points of sail and then returning to the dock.

I can sail a keel boat by myself and I'm not done with all my ASA 101 classes yet.

My recommendation is to find and take at least the ASA 101 course then, if you can, take the ASA 103 course to round off your knowledge and abilities. When you're done you'll be able to sail anything you want to sail anywhere you want to sail it.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 14:10   #27

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
When you're done you'll be able to sail anything you want to sail anywhere you want to sail it.
That was a good summary, and for the purposes of Belle's Catalina 25, I'd agree, but I'd pump the brakes just a tad on "anything you want anywhere." If you want to sail to from New Jersey to Bermuda, you probably need a more seaworthy vessel, and skills you learn in 104, 105, and 106.

But lots of people on this forum who taught themselves to sail and learned by doing will disagree with me. My respect to all of them. I seriously would not be surprised if someone here posted in response that they or someone they know circumnavigated in a Catalina 25!
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 14:34   #28
cruiser

Quote:
That was a good summary, and for the purposes of Belle's Catalina 25, I'd agree, but I'd pump the brakes just a tad on "anything you want anywhere." If you want to sail to from New Jersey to Bermuda, you probably need a more seaworthy vessel, and skills you learn in 104, 105, and 106.
No cruising plans yet - pretty far from that. I'd like to enjoy daysailing for a while on my own sailboat in a fashion that I can have my hands on it anytime I wish. I hope to have minimum sailing classes, a little exprience on a, let's say, Catalina 22, and then buy a 25 ft of my own. I won't trailer or anything. I just wish to sail it whenever I wish in my own terms.
Also, when I'm experienced enough to sail far places onboard in a bigger sailboat, I'd probably head North, not South.
Old 22-02-2021, 15:38   #29
FTS

Boat: Catalina 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle25 View Post
A little about me . . . Thank you.
Funny, you sound like me about 4 years ago.

My path was taking ASA 101 and crewing aboard race boats in the lower Chesapeake for three seasons before buying a C25 about a year and a half ago.

For me the time crewing aboard race boats has been invaluable, and both the C22 and C25 are nice little boats. If you have a choice between a C22 or a C25 I'd be guided by the condition of the boat more than having a preference for the C25 or C22.

BTW, I have seen a Hunter in that range that looked pretty good so if you run across a Hunter in good nick, or many other makes for that matter, I'd keep an open mind.

Just my $0.02.
FTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 16:15   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
For me the time crewing aboard race boats has been invaluable, and both the C22 and C25 are nice little boats. If you have a choice between a C22 or a C25 I'd be guided by the condition of the boat more than having a preference for the C25 or C22.
BTW, I have seen a Hunter in that range that looked pretty good so if you run across a Hunter in good nick, or many other makes for that matter, I'd keep an open mind.
I think there are many Catalina 25 sailboats for sale in good condition. Of course, there has to be whole bunch of other nice boats in that size.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat