Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2021, 20:01   #61

Boat: Hunter Legend 405
Re: My first sailboat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
If I had it to do again, I'd have started with the windsurfers, for anticipation and intuition of how to respond to the wind's vagaries, as well as how to read it's subtleties, they are without equal.....
I second the above recommendation. A windsurfer has no rudder, and can be sailed well without a daggerboard. You will learn how to control the craft with nothing but the sail and your weight. If you lose the rudder on your keelboat, you will have little to worry about, thanks to your ability to control your boat's direction with the sails alone. You will also learn to trim sails so that a minimum of helm is required, saving a lot of effort by the helmsman, and achieving maximum efficiency of sails, keel, and rudder -- and auto-helm won't deplete the battery as quickly. You will discover a lot of things that you would never realize sailing a typical cruiser -- for example, when you close the gap between the deck and the foot of the sail, you can feel the board immediately take off like a rocket! This technique is used on really high performance boats like the America's Cup yachts, but the average cruiser or racer will never experience it. True that you can learn this otherwise, but the experience of windsurfing will make it seem natural, rather than following some rules. There is nothing to say that you can't do both -- windsurf and take lessons on the keelboat. The monetary investment for a windsurfer is absolutely nothing compared to a keelboat, especially now that windsurfers are out of fashion -- displaced by kite boards. Lots of used gear that can be had for practically nothing, advertised on iwindsurf.com.
Rothblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 23:31   #62

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'
Re: My first sailboat.

Belle,

It sounds like you have already gotten some good advice, although another resource I want to throw your way is: http://www.findacrew.net there are lots of people with boats on there willing to take others out and teach you how to sail.

I've been living on my sailboat going on 5 years now, and let me tell you, it is amazing! You are going to meet all kinds of awesome, interesting, intelligent people out here.

For me the hardest part about it is when I have to leave the boat.

It gives me space when I need it, I can be out at anchor with no one around, or I can link up with other boat friends and party it up.

You really can have what ever you are in the mood for out here.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat