Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2021, 20:48   #46

Re: My first sailboat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle25 View Post
Will the tension headache ever go away?

step 1: Turn the cell phone off as you leave the dock.

Headache usually goes as soon as the sails are up and the motor's off.
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:31   #47

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
A little about me. I have zero sailing experience and want to buy a sailboat. I'd like to skip the sailing dinghy phase and start with a keel boat. Before this thread, I spent considerable amount of time browsing tru this forum and posted a couple of replies. Here is my 'current' decision,
Catalina 22 or 25...
After a minimum amount of sailing classes, I wanna end up in one of those two and start the fun.
Good idea? Bad idea? What are your recommendations? Other boats that I should consider? Bigger or smaller sailboats maybe? Revision of plans necessary?
Thank you.
Great idea! Having sailed a Hobie cat once in high school, I had no other sailing experience ‘til I found myself in Ft Laud in ‘08 and on a bargain of an Oday 34.

A mate helped me sail it to Biscayne Bay and taught me sail handling all the way down to Key West, then after a quick sail back to Coco Grove, it was off to the Bahamas - just me, the gf and the Oday.

Best decision I ever made and it was only after that trip, that I undertook an RYA day skip course while back in the UK.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:21   #48

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch

Quote:
A little about me. I have zero sailing experience and want to buy a sailboat. I'd like to skip the sailing dinghy phase and start with a keel boat. Before this thread, I spent considerable amount of time browsing tru this forum and posted a couple of replies. Here is my 'current' decision,
Catalina 22 or 25...
After a minimum amount of sailing classes, I wanna end up in one of those two and start the fun.
Good idea? Bad idea? What are your recommendations? Other boats that I should consider? Bigger or smaller sailboats maybe? Revision of plans necessary?
Thank you.
Started with a trailerable boat - but have a pickup truck, not essential but recommended. A 22’ Catalina. From there it was a matter of where I wanted to sail and comfort. So- a 45 ‘ Morgan to go places with AC was next. We felt ocean safe in the Morgan and used our Dyer 10’ dink to motor, row or sail for fun and shore transportation.
Start with lessons and decide then- it’ll come to you.
Nibiruwayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:27   #49

Boat: Catalina 22

Hi, Belle!

I'm new to sailing and my plan was to buy a small boat, learn to sail, and see where that led before I dumped a ton of money into my interests. In the end I purchased an old Catalina 22 (1973 Hull #1803), took ASA 101, and plopped the boat in the lake nearest my house. Practicing what I learned in ASA 101 and all that comes with owning and operating a sailboat has been a wonderful learning curve.

My wife was not 'into' the sailing thing, but the first time I felt confident enough to take her out, motored out into the lake and cut the engine, the sails filled and she said, "Oh wow, I get it now." It's a great experience learning and commanding the boat yourself.

I do not have the luxury of a big sailing community where I live and sail, so YouTube, this forum, and a few regulars at the boat ramp are my 'nautical' people. Aside from that I invested in eSail simulator on my computer and use that to learn trimming techniques and points of sail before I go out on the water. Maybe that's a bit nerdy and inaccurate, but gets your mind thinking always in terms of where the wind is and how you want to get where you're going. On the lake I stay challenged with the jet ski and high-speed boat traffic.

I intend to use this Catalina 22 as my training pod for the next couple of years before taking the subsequent ASA courses and then (later) considering a larger boat. So far, the approach has been very rewarding and, I feel, gives me a very good representation of what I have to look forward to when stepping up to a larger boat in the future. A Catalina 22 (or something of similar size) is akin to learning to drive a stick-shift before you step into Dad's luxury automatic car. Everything is very manual and teaches you what you need to know about sailing.

In my case I also learned a lot about boat repairs due to the age of my boat, something you will want to keep in mind as you consider the age of any sailboat you buy. I love those kind of projects and it took me over a year to repair a rotten core spanning from under the mast step to the sides of the companionway before I could enjoy sailing it. But now I know, without a doubt, its structural integrity of the mast, rigging, and various other parts of the boat.

A long-winded response to say I think you're on the right track. I wish you well in your journey to becoming a sailor. If you end up with the C22 and I can help in any way I am happy to be a resource for you.

Best Regards,
Chris
Charliesierra23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:30   #50
Marine Service Provider

Belle I believe you posted a similar question at about the same time in another online forum--on which I and others posted answers trying to be helpful. I would bet that you are starting to see common themes in the comments. Perhaps you'd like to share your thoughts about that?
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:11   #51

Boat: 1984 Rhodes 22

Also consider the Rhodes 22. Been manufactured since th 60s so there are a thousand out there, the are like the Catalina but with refinements. If we ever have another Annapolis Sailboat Show, General Boats usually brings one or two. Really fun boat, easy to sail with the furling main and genoa, we sail ours all over the northern Chesapeake. Cabin roof pops up for headroom in the slip, nice big cockpit, designed by Phillip Rhodes near the end of his career so it incorporates hw decades of knowledge into the hull design, she is self-righting, has positive flotation, and a swinging keel for going into shallow water.
join the crew of this well worn Rhodes to do what the big boats do, and go where they cannot. an unbelievable vicarious pleasure to get you in the mood for cruising this site, as well as our www.usedrhodes.com site. Note: There are 7 links to this ?i
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1471111187105 - Copy.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	233591  
edexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:30   #52

Catalina makes a safe, affordable, easy to work on & maintain vessel- and the owners association is second to none. They’re terrific boats. I sailed 19’ Flying Scots to learn & jumped strait into a Catalina 42. I do agree that a smaller boat is more fun to sail, so: are you going to trailer it? Park it in a slip? Use it for day sails? If you need a decent berth & a head, go a little larger.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:22   #53

Boat: 19' Lightning

I think buying a boat is a great idea. However, I would skip the Catalinas and buy a J 24. That way you’ll have both a dinghy and a keel boat. There’s a gazillion old J 24s out there that you can buy cheap with a trailer! If you’ve ever noticed, most sailing schools use J 24s and 22s as their platforms and for good reason, they’re easy and fun to sail and they’re very forgiveable. Catalinas are okay, but J 24s are a blast!
robmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:34   #54

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

You might like a Windrider, small, easy to sail, fast, stable and a ton of fun. You can drag it up on the beach or trailer it. Roto molded plastic- virtually indestructable. Perfect for an afternoon pressure reducer.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 19:49   #55

Boat: McBride 41

Quote:
Catalina 22 or 25...
Thank you.
In Oz we call it a Careel 22. Great safe boats with a ballast ratio of 47%. I’ve sailed them off shore in 60knots and never felt concerned. Good starter if you insist on starting with a bigger boat. However you will learn faster if you start in dinghies. Getting wet is a great way to concentrate the mind.
SimonFirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 13:00   #56

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII

You will never regret learning to sail in a dinghy as You will never outgrow the wisdom gained. Buy a used laser and dolley for$1k and sail it everyday for 2 months no matter the weather...race it locally if you can. Others have much to offer to reduce your learning curve. then pursue your Catalina 22/25. Can't go too far wrong with either of those 'starter' keelboats ...
Divevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 13:09   #57

Quote:
Catalina 22 or 25...
Thank you.
Good idea. Both are popular and thus readily sell able when you move up or on! If not trailering I'd go with the 25. There are a ton of boats in that size range and for sailing and learning not a lot of bad options. Option: Pay less for a less popular boat or pay more for an easier to sell boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:57   #58

My two cents.
The only advantage i received from dinghy sailing when I was a kid was understanding the wind, reading the ripples on the water,watching for those nasty gusts and knowing that you really cannot get into too much trouble as long as you pay attention.
It is still an invaluable experience today some 50 years later. My suggestion, (I am sure many will disagree) is to just pick up a cheap tiny sailboat like a small sailing dink and throw it in a lake for a month. Get the feel of the wind and what it does to the sails and what you best point of sail is in a wind.
What the ripples and chop on the water tell you.
It will be your best introduction to sailing
Lateral Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 20:23   #59

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

People aware that the OP has not posted in 2 weeks....came on heavy and just puff disappeared.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 21:23   #60

Find a lake and a Sunfish. At least, that's what I'll do after long deliberations...
Full is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat