Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2015, 05:58   #31

Re: My First Boat Question Ever

Scout 30, where is "the WoodenBoat forum"? I can't seem to find one on CF. Do have any suggestions as to a good one?
Cooper H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:04   #32

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper H View Post
Scout 30, where is "the WoodenBoat forum"? I can't seem to find one on CF. Do have any suggestions as to a good one?
The WoodenBoat forum is related to the WoodenBoat magazine which has been in publication for over 40 years. Even though it's published in Maine it features boats & boat builders from all over the world. the forum has hundreds of threads started by people building new wooden boats or rebuilding old classics. Great stuff.

The WoodenBoat Forum

WoodenBoat Magazine | WoodenBoat, Small Boats, Getting Started in Boats, and Professional BoatBuilder
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:55   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The WoodenBoat forum is related to the WoodenBoat magazine which has been in publication for over 40 years. Even though it's published in Maine it features boats & boat builders from all over the world. the forum has hundreds of threads started by people building new wooden boats or rebuilding old classics. Great stuff.
Agreed - Great stuff! I have every single issue right from #1 through the current one, #245, all carefully archived. Not in the boat of course, but at home where neither sleet nor hail not leaking decks and mildew can destroy them.

But there is nostalgia, and there is practicality. As someone said: "Wooden boats are in palliative care all their lives. "Frozen snot" boats have to be assassinated!"

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:34   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Agreed - Great stuff! I have every single issue right from #1 through the current one, #245, all carefully archived. Not in the boat of course, but at home where neither sleet nor hail not leaking decks and mildew can destroy them.

But there is nostalgia, and there is practicality. As someone said: "Wooden boats are in palliative care all their lives. "Frozen snot" boats have to be assassinated!"

TrentePieds
If we were practical we'd never own a boat in the first place! And palliative care is better than no care which is what most Clorox bottles get but I get your point. I am jealous of your collection. I've got every issue since the early 80's. I think the title is misleading. It's about so much more than wooden boats. I've learned about the maritime history of not just our country but the whole world.
Old 03-07-2015, 13:44   #35

I should get a subscription pronto, WoodenBoat Magazine sounds pretty great!
Old 03-07-2015, 13:52   #36

Quote:
I should get a subscription pronto, WoodenBoat Magazine sounds pretty great!
Absolutely! Start a thread on the WB forum when you start your build & you'll get help & support when you need it. Also, send the magazine a picture of your boat when it's done & they'll publish it.
Old 03-07-2015, 14:03   #37

That would be pretty fun. I have been wondering where to get more help. Right now I just need to find some boat plans, but once the plans are in hand i'll have a massive amount of questions. That will be a good outlet.
Old 03-07-2015, 14:09   #38

Quote:
That would be pretty fun. I have been wondering where to get more help. Right now I just need to find some boat plans, but once the plans are in hand i'll have a massive amount of questions. That will be a good outlet.
Have you chosen the boat that you want to build?
Old 03-07-2015, 14:28   #39

I have been looking at the Atkin designed "Teach", and it looks really promising, but I am still undecided so far. Atkin & Co. - Teach
Old 03-07-2015, 14:58   #40

Quote:
I have been looking at the Atkin designed "Teach", and it looks really promising, but I am still undecided so far. Atkin & Co. - Teach
That is a cool boat! You probably noticed that they reference a WoodenBoat article about the boat in which it is compared to the Herreshoff 12 1/2. Great praise indeed. I think that's a great length & the boat should be quite seaworthy. Might not be the easiest first build but would certainly be well worth the time & effort.
Old 03-07-2015, 15:06   #41

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

How about the San Francisco Pelican?
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 16:01   #42

Here is a link to a discussion of Teach on the Woodenboat Forum. You may have to type it into your search engine, but the comments are worth paying attention to.

Atkin's Teach

As an FDP (Former Danish Person) I departed my mother's womb rowing a skiff. Shortly thereafter I transisted to the Scowegian "Junior" boat which is basically a 3/4 scale version of the Nordic Folkebåd (Folkboat). Both of them were specifically designed for the Baltic where wind strengths are about the same as off the coast of Natal, though the seas are shorter and steeper. No combers or rollers, just short sharp waves, sea state 5 being the daily summer fare in the Kattegat.

http://kdyjunior.dk/wp/wp-content/up...Juniorboat.jpg

19 feet, or so, overall including the sticky-out bit on the blunt end. Open cockpit, no bulkhead twixt cockpit and cuddy, 1,500 lbs displacement, no flotation. Poop 'er, and she'd sink, so you learn not to poop 'er :-). No engine either, in my day. Coming out through the ship canal with the wind on the nose, short board after short board, certainly smartens up your ship handling :-)!

There is a specimen advertised here in apparently tip-top condition. EU9K (ZAR 125K):

Juniorb?d #376, 1969, Price EUR 8.900, Used Sailing boat/Sailing yacht For sale, Troense, sydfyn Denmark

Well, for that you can get a grown-up cruising boat around here.

If it were me, like some of the people on the WoodenBoat forum, I wouldn't try to lap-strake a hull like Teach. The Junior's lines are MUCH more amendable to that. Planking Teach with ply would require some serious torturing of the material. However, STRIP PLANKING is a kettle of fish of a different colour. That would be an absolute snap!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:26   #43

I found a website you might want to check out. Informative videos on clinker vs plank building.

Traditional Maritime Skills :: Clinker and Carvel – different types of planking

Also, here's an informative thread on building a boat I think you'll like.

Building the D18 Myst - 18' Beach Yawl