Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2020, 23:08   #1

Boat: C&C 40
Moving to Whidbey Island, looking for moorage

My family is moving to Whidbey Island, and we're pretty excited about the move and change of life. However, the moorage situation seems challenging, and I'm a little frustrated at my prospects for easily getting to my boat and sailing.
  • Langley marina has a wait list so long they're not taking any more applications. It's very small, but the location seems to be best on the island for sailing open water.
  • Oak Harbor has a 12-18 month wait list, and I'm on it.
  • Port of Everett is on the other side of the ferry, but I've found someone to sublease from temporarily. This is closer than my current slip at Shilshole, but I still need to take the ferry each way + driving.

Are there any other options on Whidbey? I wish there were more options, especially on the west side.

I've passed through the Swinomish Channel once, but I didn't love the traffic with the currents and my 7.5' draft. I've never done Deception Pass, and from what I've heard, it doesn't sound like an option.

Does anyone have info that can help me feel a little better about this move and my ability to go sailing without a road trip? Any recommendations?
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 23:49   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Moving to Whidbey Island, looking for moorage

I live in Langley. Right now my boat is at anchor outside of the marina. In the winter it is in a slip somewhere. Last year it was Annacortes, This year it will be in Langley. With your draft you have very few choices. You can put down your own mooring. I don't know how difficult the application process is but many have ignored the process and jut put down a mooring.

There is some space on a dock in Holmes Harbor (Sort of near Freeland):

Moorage Available in Holmes Harbor

Private dock moorage currently available in Holmes Harbor May 1 -September 30. Rate of $10 per foot with no power or water available. Ample parking for vehicles available with access to the dock by walking downhill on a paved road.Currently have three out of ten berths available and able to accommodate boats of varying lengths. Location is just north of the Holly Farm dock.

Please contact Bruce

Dock Manager at:

(425) 870-6995 (call or text)
gallagher31@msn.com
4/25/2020

But it is not a great place.

I wish I could be more positive, I have lived here nine years and it is getting worse.

We typically go for a summer cruise of one to two months and some shorter trips in so I just anchor outside of the harbor. There is a wide shelf and a lot of room to anchor - good holding.

PS. Deception pass is easy at slack water - been through it dozens of times.

stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote