Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2016, 06:59   #1

Boat: Kenner Privateer 26
Moving a 35 ft, yes I know permits, more in depth.

Hello, so here is the situation. I was going to move out to Seattle but due to some family issues it looks like I will be staying in the Chicagoland area. I've found boats I love in the 30 to 35 ft range but they are all beamy , liveaboard types. The cost of storing a boat in a Harbor in this area is pretty pricey (around 2k +) and I only live about 30 miles out from the lakefront. with several highways and industrial roads that are used to this kind of traffic. So I was curious if I could for the same cost or cheaper get the boat hauled out and delivered to my home. Now to save money in the long run, I would purchase a 3 axle trailer that could support the boat, and have them haul out the ship and place it there for transport at the harbor ( from my understanding , Im getting charged for them pulling the boat out no matter what) , and then hire a driver or transport company to hitch up and move it over to my home. Which then it would sit for the off season, and I would have easy access to work on it. So I have a couple of questions, #1 , does anyone know of a company that will come and pick up the trailer and move the cargo ( rather than use their own trailer). Also, once the trailer gets to my home, do I have to place it on any kind of supports so that the weight is not on the tires for the whole off season, or can they take it? Finally, the current place I want to store the boat has asphalt , would I need to upgrade to Concrete to handle the load of 11460 lbs boat ? The boat we are talking about moving here is a 35S5, FIRST 35S5 (BENETEAU) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com.
Wind459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 07:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Moving a 35 ft, yes I know permits, more in depth.

All you need to pull that is a permit and a 1 Ton truck, 12,000 is not much really, I have pulled 18,000 behind my 1 ton, but it was narrower, a Backhoe. I had a triple axle trailer with brakes of course
Ideally you would put the trailer on jack stands to make it more stable, but the tires will handle it fine, and asphalt handles 80,000 lb trucks and heavier day in and day out. As long as the ground its on is firm it will be fine.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 07:19   #3

I did a similar thing with a 34 foot 11,000 lb boat. I bought a used trailer and towed it to the boatyard with my 3/4 ton truck. I had to modify the trailer a little, but it worked out well. I hired a mobile home mover to bring the boat to a spot 10 minutes from my home, rather than the boatyard which is about 2 hours from home. I am doing a major refit rather than just winter storage, but it will be very cost effective for me. If you plan on doing this every winter it should be cost effective for you and much more convenient. The trucker already had the wide load permits, so that was no issue. I know that many people use U-Ship for trucking, but I got some pretty flaky quotes from them. If a driver asks if you are going to pull the permit, then I would get nervous about using them. Maybe the laws are different in your state. Just my thoughts, ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 07:39   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

You dont even need triple axle. I move a 12,000 lb mailing with my 1 ton, on a double axle trailer. just make sure the axles are rated for the weight. Double axle is usually cheaper than triple.
Don't worry about the tires over the winter. The only issue is to have it as level as possible, so you might need to block
one side or the other.
Asphalt can take that weight no problem. Especially as it gets colder.
I can't recommend any truckers, but just start talking to local companies and owner operators.
Good luck
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 08:02   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Down here anyway a wrecker company will take small jobs like this
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 08:19   #6

Boat: Beneteou 35s5

Congratulation, 35s5 is lovely boat.
I,m the owner of 35s5 build around 1990.
Just curios how much you paid for, and if you have any question don't be afraid to ask.
i now this baby from bottom to top.
markpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 08:26   #7

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
You dont even need triple axle. I move a 12,000 lb mailing with my 1 ton, on a double axle trailer. just make sure the axles are rated for the weight. Double axle is usually cheaper than triple.
Don't worry about the tires over the winter. The only issue is to have it as level as possible, so you might need to block
one side or the other.
Asphalt can take that weight no problem. Especially as it gets colder.
I can't recommend any truckers, but just start talking to local companies and owner operators.
Good luck
Can't edit, that should have read 12000 lb man lift( not mailing:-))
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 08:48   #8

It's feasible, I've considered it. I did it with a heavy 26 ft sailboat and 3/4 ton diesel pickup for a while. Mobile home haulers will tow it for you. It may be pretty marginal about saving money though. Re rigging, launching, yard time , permits, hauling, cost of trailer etc all add up and can be a PITA. If you keep the same boat long enough it pencils out better.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 09:00   #9

Have you priced storage taking boat down river at 95th street off lake Michigan --and on river @5 -10 miles (you have to take mast down). Hundreds of boaters do this.
....Or, mast up at Canal street marina on 18th & canal on Chicago River ?
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 09:06   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I guess if you intend to keep the boat it may pay. The trailer and modifying it to take the boat won't be cheap. I'd buy a truck, a 3/4 ton would pull it.

Then you have the cost of unstopping and stepping the mast. Pour a cement slab in the yard to park on, tires don't like long terms of parking on dirt, dry rot starts fast.

I have done some things people thought were crazy and succeeded but make sure you do your homework,

Good luck!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 09:07   #11

Thanks guys, I haven't purchased the boat yet, not a smart move to buy something you have no idea where you will put it, but as it stands its my top pick and I am already talking with the owner about timelines and the transition. Even if this falls through, I most likely will be getting a ship very similar in build before next season. Beneteau are really starting to grow on me, at least for the applications I will be using a sailboat for.

Thanks for all the input on the trailers guys, I will look for a duel axle, do you have any places you suggest searching ( besides craiglist and ebay which Im watching like a hawk) Seems I can find tons of power boat trailers but not so many Sailboat ones. Todays homework is contacting some drivers in the area. As much as I am a DIY person, I don't really want to go out and get a used truck, when I'm already purchasing a big ticket item like this, not made of gold (first world problems heh , right?)
Old 13-12-2016, 09:11   #12

Boat: J42

Here in New England we all use truckers with Brownell trailers to bring our boats home. These are genius Y shaped rigs with hydraulic axle elevators and three hydraulic pad arms on each side. It takes no more than 20 minutes in our side yard to lower the keel onto cribbing blocks and place the two aft and single bow jack stands, lower and drive the trailer out, and add two more stands to each side. We have our 42 footer trucked 30 miles home for the winter. The trailers also can uncouple from the truck and roll down a launching ramp using a bow caster, receive or unload our 6'6" draft keel, adjust the pads, and reel winch back to couple to the truck. Crazy feeling driving a 20,000 lb boat up onto a submerged trailer!
Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 09:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Blackie View Post
Here in New England we all use truckers with Brownell trailers to bring our boats home. These are genius Y shaped rigs with hydraulic axle elevators and three hydraulic pad arms on each side. It takes no more than 20 minutes in our side yard to lower the keel onto cribbing blocks and place the two aft and single bow jack stands, lower and drive the trailer out, and add two more stands to each side. We have our 42 footer trucked 30 miles home for the winter. The trailers also can uncouple from the truck and roll down a launching ramp using a bow caster, receive or unload our 6'6" draft keel, adjust the pads, and reel winch back to couple to the truck. Crazy feeling driving a 20,000 lb boat up onto a submerged trailer!
So I checked out the trailers, they look pretty interesting , of course out of my price range ( assuming) as hydraulics are involved. Do you own the trailer? If not how do you deal with taking it off the trailer once your home without heavy equipment? What I am hoping for, by keeping it on the trailer, is that I only have to pay for the haul out/in once over , and not any more for taking it off a trailer again.
Old 13-12-2016, 09:34   #14

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

often, around here anyway, a cradle can be had on the cheap. i moved my boat (40' 9ton) on its cradle. any flat-bed equipment hauler can do it hourly, and if youre not in a hurry a dead-head is even cheaper. just an idea...
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 10:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwilk37 View Post
often, around here anyway, a cradle can be had on the cheap. i moved my boat (40' 9ton) on its cradle. any flat-bed equipment hauler can do it hourly, and if youre not in a hurry a dead-head is even cheaper. just an idea...
What is a dead head, and I sort of like your idea. The only issue is storing the cradle/moving it once the boat is in the water. I figure the harbor will charge me to keep it there. That or it will cost me to haul it away. Where do I locate sailboat Cradles? or do most boats come with them ? Pardon my ignorance in this area.

Tags
depth, permit