Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2019, 13:07   #1

Boat: Hunter 44DS
Movement in hull

My yacht has just gone up on the hard and I noticed that the bedroom door at the bow that was almost unable to stay shut now shuts nicely and my stern bedroom door which used to shut perfect I can’t shut because of it rubbing at the top of the door is this unusual for a boat when it sitting on its keel and other braces up on the hard?
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 13:35   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Movement in hull

Most boats have some small deflection, but we've never had, except once, after a hard grounding in Fiji, which eventually led to a significant job , involving adding one floor and two stringers and using meters of cross strand roving and about 15 liters of polyester resin. Jim did the work, under supervision.

I think what you have is maybe normal for your type of boat, but it may well just be breaking down the fiberglass. You need input from someone knowledgeable about your model and year, maybe there's a Hunter owner's forum around somewhere? I would NOT turn a blind eye, it will be best to fix it before it breaks. (No insult intended. We met with a guy who had just purchased a new Catalina 36, and he discovered while the last commissioning was done on the hard that he found he no longer had head room. The yacht broker assured him that he'd have it after they re-launched! Point is that no one warns you, but the hull will degrade enough to allow water ingress, so the issue does need to be addressed before it gets to that point, or it will cost a lot more.)

Ann
Old 15-02-2019, 13:44   #3

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Movement in hull

My boat had it , it ended up being unglued stringer .
Doesn't matter if it's from damage or just week hull you need to reinforce it and fix it .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, men