Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 21:09   #16

Re: Motion sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Phantom Jim, I know it is not trendy these days to believe in science, but I do.

So how about we discuss the science behind this over the counter anti-motion sickness snake oil? What is in it, how does it work?

And your suggestion, Just try it, what do we have to lose?

Well this actually is an irritation to me: What you suggest is that we should try anything and everything which comes along, what do we have to lose?

How about, put dog-do on your back, what do you have to lose?

I looked for information about it. There is NOTHING from anyone who isn't selling it.

The ingredients appear to be "Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Chamomile, Myrrh and Ylang Ylang"

Sorry, this is snake oil.
The "science" on drugs for this condition is thin. People swear by Zofran, but the science says it doesn't work. What's your explanation? People swear by the snake oil, it doesn't induce Parkinsonianism, hallucinations, or presumably any cognitive degredation...so what's your beef with people using it?

Seasickness is multifactoral, even in an individual over time, but there's certainly a strong psychological component to it. As this is so, trialing the drug with the least side effects first is a reasonable practice (when dealing with something like seasickness...though a second-line drug could be carried same time). Scopalamine/stugeron may be more effective, but are not always benign. Invariably these are more prescribed as people coming in the door have a short cruise/dive trip that they don't want spoiled...this should not preclude 'lesser' substances (or tricks, like pressure point) where the person is more interested in potential side effects of drugs than the condition they are supposed to prevent in the first place.

Medicine is as much art as a science, especially on this kind of subject.

Regarding the OP's theory, it probably helps some people, probably makes other people worse, this can reverse per group over time, and the hypothesis is likely to never be studied. Seasickness is ultimately something people are best served by figuring out what works best for them as an individual, taking note of all triggers/diet/exercise/sleep/etc over time.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 01:41   #17

My strategy is to find work on deck. Thoroughly scan the horizon often.
NCWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 01:49   #18

I used to use Sturgeon but since I started using CBD for orthopedic pain I haven't had motion sickness.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 02:02   #19

Boat: Colegate 26

I've been motion sick prone for as long as I can remember, and it escalated about 15 years ago.

For offshore passages I take dramamine about 2 hours before we cast off to give it time to start working. After we get our first main heading setup my wife takes over the helm and I take a couple hour nap. After that I take more dramamine on schedule and have a pleasant trip.

Nothing else I've tried has done anything at all for me. And I've been trying all the tricks for the past 30 years.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 03:45   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I firmly believe there is a psychological/psychosomatic side to seasickness. When we met my wife had extreme motion sickness. She could not look at a map in a car nor walk on a floating dock. Occasionally a painting would get her.

30 years later we recently did a 13 day passage. It was a nice trip, she took some meds but was OK. Yesterday she was doing email as I drove. No meds in the car.

That is a HUGE baseline improvement.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 05:10   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Phantom Jim, I know it is not trendy these days to believe in science, but I do...
... The ingredients appear to be "Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Chamomile, Myrrh and Ylang Ylang"
Sorry, this is snake oil.
Indeed.
According to several vendors, Motioneaze contains a magical blend of 100% natural oils (lavender, peppermint, frankincense, chamomile, myrrh, ylang ylang and birch). Sounds (too) good (to be true), to me.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 06:04   #22

My admiral was extremely inclined to get motion sick. Car rides, plane rides, etc. Still sort of that way. However, once she started texting with others on our long-ish car rides, it has subsided for her. Maybe she's trained herself to adjust to the moving scenery? IDK. We recently did a short charter on a cat and she was fine the entire trip, including sleeping and cooking while under sail. It was a bit of an epiphany for her.
Rennsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 06:45   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Gord May

I first became aware of Motionease, a vertigo remedy marketed for seasickness, from an ad in the back of a sailing magazine before the internet was available. I sent a $40 check in the mail to get a small bottle. My particular seasickness was total incapacitation for the first day of offshore work...lay down with dry heaves till you were afraid you were not going to die. I simply avoided offshore sailing and snorkeling excursions..

All remedies available were tried: scopolamine patches, wrist bands, pressure points, Puma astronaut exercise training, ginger beer (that was a real treat coming back up!) as some of the many tried.

In 2007 on a crewed charter sailing trip in the Bahamas, the first day sailing (38+ kt winds) found me incapacitated when my wife reminded me that I had bought Motionease several years ago and went below to get it. A tiny amount behind each ear was applied. In about 30 minutes I was enjoying lunch! That was the last seasickness I have experienced.

My wife and I are both medical professionals and value science. The ingredients in Motionease are essential oils not known to be hazardous or have adverse reactions to one's health. The available literature indicated Motionease was helpful for motion sickness as well as vertigo. It was also safe for child use. It is effective even after symptoms appear. No side effects were known. We saw nothing that indicated that it was not safe to use.

We have recommended Motionease to many people and those who took it have all reported relief. A dear friend with Parkinson's induced vertigo had relief.

Motionease may be snake oil but it is a product that has been successful in our experience. This is the only product that has been effective for me and there have been no side effects or reactions so far and there has been no reason to look for other remedies.

A benign remedy for seasickness is a wonderful thing.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 08:10   #24

It is a great idea, but you should try in calm waters, with soft movements.
canadianbeethov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 08:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If there's time to get Stugeron (understand it's available mail order out of Canada, and possibly England and Belgium), for us, it has been the best we've used.
Ann
Stugeron is, or at least was, available in Scotland when we were there. Bought some at a drug store in a train station in Glasgow. Scotland ain't England but one would think if Scotland has Stugeron, England will.

It was interesting to see how many boats where flying the Scottish flag. On many a house as well.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 05:12   #26

hello there!
there is also the boarding glasses if you want to avoid drugs
Join_mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 05:37   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I got my Wife a pair of those. She would not wear them, not sure why.

They sure are funny looking gizmos.
Old 23-10-2020, 06:15   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Jim View Post
... My wife and I are both medical professionals and value science. The ingredients in Motionease are essential oils not known to be hazardous or have adverse reactions to one's health. The available literature indicated Motionease was helpful ...
Glad to hear you get relief.
FWIW: The available literature = Advertising

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 07:22   #29

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

We also are on the Stugeron bandwagon! We both get seasick/carsick/motion sick. The people we bought our current boat from told us about it - husband was a doctor. The wife had medical issues that prevented her from taking any other motion sickness medicines so she lived with her head in a bucket for 5 years while they cruised, according to the husband. That is until a fellow cruiser told them about Stugeron and he looked into it. I said she was a helluva a woman to go through that!
The thing that appeals to us is that you can start with 1 pill (I buy 25mg tablets) taken about an hour before we head out and see if that works. If we start feeling queasy/nauseous we take one more pill. The great thing about this drug is that it will work even after you start feeling bad. The investigative work I did before we started using Stugeron (15 yrs ago) recommended using 75mg every 8 hours for a normal sized adult. We have found that some guests aboard our boat are good with one 25mg pill for the day, while others need 2 or 3. 3 pills (75mg) makes me drowsy, so I stop at 2 (50mg) and am generally good. I order ours from Canada and find that it can take up to 6 weeks to receive it.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 10:10   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From the kore recent research I did 2 years ago those are BIG sturgeron dosages. The 75mg gave my Wife Sturgeron induced Parkinson's. While it may work well for you not all will be so lucky.