Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2018, 10:37   #61

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Most beautiful yet practical world cruiser for a couple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Looks like an aluminum Channel Pilot Cutter. Very cool.
That's a Dykstra design built by KM.

Dykstra is a designer that has an eye for traditional forms and can use them in yachts without losing too much in performance. Great NA.
Designs - Dykstra Naval Architects

KM is one of the best aluminium boat builders. He build several Dykstra designs as semi-customs boats.

Aluminium / KM Yachtbuilders
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 10:42   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
That's a Dykstra design built by KM.

Dykstra is a designer that has an eye for traditional forms and can use them in yachts without losing too much in performance. Great NA.
Designs - Dykstra Naval Architects

KM is one of the best aluminium boat builders. He build several Dykstra designs as semi-customs boats.

Aluminium / KM Yachtbuilders
A perfect example of retro design and style, looks old but sails like new, got my vote, its a unique look in a world of look a like wedgies.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 11:22   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Most beautiful yet practical world cruiser for a couple?

For me...!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lee_clipper_42_22143435.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	162464  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 11:39   #64

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I actually like his other Bestavear models more with a slopped pilothouse forward (a little less retro) like Dyskstra's personal boat Bestavear 2 or Nolex new boat. No wood on deck, just usable boat.

Matt

Click image for larger version

Name:	riu-orig_bestevaer-3-sailing-2280x1100-1449753458.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	162465
Old 18-01-2018, 13:00   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I actually like his other Bestavear models more with a slopped pilothouse forward (a little less retro) like Dyskstra's personal boat Bestavear 2 or Nolex new boat. No wood on deck, just usable boat.

Matt

Attachment 162465
They are both extremely nice designs. We saw one in the Eastern Caribbean, think its name was Africa. One look and my wife decided that these were now her favorites. Look great and super practical, hard to beat.
Old 18-01-2018, 13:02   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatma n61 View Post
For me...!!!
Thats a great pic
Old 18-01-2018, 13:30   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
They are both extremely nice designs. We saw one in the Eastern Caribbean, think its name was Africa. One look and my wife decided that these were now her favorites. Look great and super practical, hard to beat.
We've spent some time on Africa a few years ago while in St Martin. Awesome boat, but I'd want the enclosed pilothouse and not a hard dodger like this 45st has.

The owner shipped it back to Seattle and now has it listed for sale. He bought a Rustler 37 for the Caribbean as he mostly single hands and the 45' was a bit much.

Matt
Old 18-01-2018, 14:16   #68

[QUOTE=funjohnson;2558296]We've spent some time on Africa a few years ago while in St Martin. Awesome boat, but I'd want the enclosed pilothouse and not a hard dodger like this 45st has.

The owner shipped it back to Seattle and now has it listed for sale. He bought a Rustler 37 for the Caribbean as he mostly single hands and the 45' was a bit much.

Matt[/QUOTE

Interesting, we saw it in St. Maarten as well. Wonder what he is asking for it. The Rustler is a very nice boat, built very well, typical British.
Old 18-01-2018, 14:35   #69

Quote:
A perfect example of retro design and style, looks old but sails like new, got my vote, its a unique look in a world of look a like wedgies.
Well, that was not what I said I said that the concessions to retro style don't handicap much the sailing potential. Without retro sailing compromises to style would sail better or even much better.

And in what regards sailing extensively and circumnavigating there is nothing like a boat maximized for downwind sailing but without compromising too much upwind sailing: a fast wedgie like you call them

Old 18-01-2018, 14:38   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post

Matt

The other one is usable too. Just more pretty. We can say that it will need more maintenance and that's true but at the price those boats cost that should not be an issue

The interior of those boats its not only functional but luxurious. This is the interior of the first one you posted:

For me the exterior looks like the one of a warboat but I guess that is always a question of taste but that exterior is like that more as a aesthetical option than for a money or functionality issue.

Old 18-01-2018, 15:23   #71

Quote:
Well, that was not what I said I said that the concessions to retro style don't handicap much the sailing potential. Without retro sailing compromises to style would sail better or even much better.

And in what regards sailing extensively and circumnavigating there is nothing like a boat maximized for downwind sailing but without compromising too much upwind sailing: a fast wedgie like you call them

Nothing wrong with fast wedgies..I like them too but there is something about timeless lines on a boat, sort of like cars. The XKE Jag just has timeless lines, even the old MG TF or an older Morgan qualify. New sports cars are also very wedge shaped and i also like them too because they are all about performance and hi tech features. Sailing is slow plus it's the most expensive way in the world to travel in 3rd class. I might as well have something that looks like a piece of art rather than a computer screen as I look back
Old 18-01-2018, 15:37   #72

You know Polux, I was giving this more thought and I think the other point is that all the less expensive boats these days mimic the racer/wedgie look so everyone looks the same...hard to tell a really nice boat from the cheapest ones made. Not everyone wants to look the same or buy the same products. These aluminum boats are not cheap and it's very obvious from the very first time you lay your eyes on them. For the uneducated eye you can't tell the difference between a cheapy built for the charter trade compared to something like a X Yacht because they share many design details which of course is on purpose with the cheapy manufacturers. I realize boats like these aluminum ones are a very small part of the market and they carve their small niche out of the market knowing full well that what is really attractive is that they have a unique look which appeals to certain buyers.
Old 18-01-2018, 15:45   #73

Quote:
Nothing wrong with fast wedgies..I like them too but there is something about timeless lines on a boat, sort of like cars. The XKE Jag just has timeless lines, even the old MG TF or an older Morgan qualify. New sports cars are also very wedge shaped and i also like them too because they are all about performance and hi tech features. Sailing is slow plus it's the most expensive way in the world to travel in 3rd class. I might as well have something that looks like a piece of art rather than a computer screen as I look back
Not all wedgies are the same. I do like very much the one on the photo above. On my blog you can find information about it and as a cruising boat probably it is more practical on almost all cruising grounds than those aluminium beauties even if the interior is not as luxurious...but I live well on a comfortable boat even if not luxurious. I would prefer it without any doubt or hesitation.

The boat has a dinghy garage and a swing keel with all the ballast on the keel.

Old 18-01-2018, 19:21   #74

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Not all wedgies are the same. I do like very much the one on the photo above. On my blog you can find information about it and as a cruising boat probably it is more practical on almost all cruising grounds than those aluminium beauties even if the interior is not as luxurious...but I live well on a comfortable boat even if not luxurious. I would prefer it without any doubt or hesitation.

The boat has a dinghy garage and a swing keel with all the ballast on the keel.

Hi Polux, what is this boat? It's hard to be content with my current boat when you keep showing me boats like this, never seen it before. Very nice looking.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 19:35   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi Polux, what is this boat? It's hard to be content with my current boat when you keep showing me boats like this, never seen it before. Very nice looking.
FC3 53 feet | finot-conq architectes navals

I think it's what Stanley Paris is sailing around the world as Kiwi Spirit 2.

Edit: My internet is horrible here and I can't load this page, but here is the info on the boat. If I remember correctly he's sailing a FC3-53.

https://www.stanleyparis.com/

Matt

Tags
cal, cruise, cruiser