Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 19:34   #1

Boat: Ericson 36
Morgan 416

I had a friend go check out the Ferro boat I was thinking about and he said it had a smell of fresh paint on the indside so I am thinking that they are covering something up. I have set my sights on a new boat a Morgan Out-Island 416. Just wondering if they are known for any problems. If anyone has/had one I would love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks
Elsakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 20:44   #2

Boat: 1988 Morgan Classic 41 "HALLEL"
Hello Elsakis:
I am going to try this again. Lost my connection and have to rewrite the whole thing @#$%. Anyway I sold my Catalina 30 a 1 1/2 years ago and had the wife help me in picking a boat she liked. It ended up being a 1988 Morgan Classic 41( the newer version after Catalina Yachts bought out Morgan in 1983. The 416 had some problems with the deck to hull joint leaking due to the fact that the rub rail is where the joint is and was moved to the top after Catalina changed some of the design of it. The portlights in the older 416 did not open unless they were upgraded. The newer version has Lewmar alluminum opening ports. I am not sure if the older version has the carrier bearing on the prop shaft but that is a problem if the owner did not grease it. (found this with mine). Leaks on deck are hard to find with the liner inside and the bolts are really hard to get to for the stanchions, pulpits and transom ladder. The 416 is alot better priced than the Classic but I have talked to a dockmate that has the 416 and he likes the improvements on the Classic alot better. As far as sailing goes they do not point well. The shrouds are outboard and the boat almost 14ft wide so if you have the genny out it will be on the spreader before you get close to 30 deg off the wind. On our boat I have found that it likes to sail flat with not alot of heel. In 25 kts I run a double reefed main and a rolled furler (about 90%) and the boat was sailing on a reach at 71/2 to 8 knots at 15 deg of heel. I cant speak for 416 but I love our boat.They are not the Ideal deep water boat but there is one family that is finishing a cir nav with a 1988 classic online. In heavy weather there are alot of places that need hand holds and a long way to fall if you do not have one. I always wear a harness. If ya have any other questions I could ask my dockmate he has a 416 OI. Happy Sailing!!!!!!
John and Catherine S/V HALLEL
SVHALLEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 22:31   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416
Elsakis,
We live/cruise on a 1982 Morgan 416, and we really like the boat. One correction to the previous poster - the 416 does not have the hull/deck joint leaking problem - that dates to earlier versions of the Out Island 41 (412 or 413 maybe?). By the time the 416 was introduced (and also the 415 and maybe the 414) the hull/deck joint had been moved higher up - not on the rubrail. Mine is at the deck level, where the deck is joined to the hull with hefty thru bolts on 4" centers and with (I believe) 5200. Anyway, I have had some leaks at fittings coming thru the deck, but not at the joint (I don't think).
The Morgan 41 does not point very close to the wind - we almost never sail closer than 45 degrees off the wind - but it is a good cruising boat. We are a family of four and we have room for most essential cruising gear (including lots of legos). However, although the Morgan has plenty of storage space, there is not a lot of big, deep locker space for things like spare outboards, fenders, jerry jugs, etc. We end up with too much stuff on deck.
We have sailed pretty far offshore, on some longer passages (lots of 3 to 6 or 7 day passages), but all Gulf/Atlantic, not Pacific. We have seen plenty of heavy weather, and even more light weather (I like the latter better). We have a lot of confidence in our boat.
You asked about problems. Check the water tanks carefully, and look for signs of leaks - especially in the sole beside the port side tank. The polyethelene tanks, which are encased entirely in a GRP shell, are failing in more than one Morgan, mine and several others I've known included. I just replaced my port tank, and several years ago inserted a (much smaller) bladder into the starboard tank when it failed. I'm not sure if the 416 has many other significant problems that wouldn't be common on any 30 year old production cruiser.
Feel free to PM me for more info.
Dave
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 10:46   #4

Boat: in process of buying new one
Re: Morgan 416

The only problem with the 416 is that it holds a lot of people at happy hour. Lived aboard for 8 yrs and never had any leaks or problems. Sailed in rough water 10-15ft waves in gulfstream and made it, went thru 5 canes including Andrew in Miami. The only leak if that is the mast boot, but good caulk and hood solved it. Great cruising boat for Bahamas with full keel and shallow draft
captlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 07:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Morgan 416

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, captlee.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan