Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2015, 08:24   #1

Morgan 41 classic

I have been looking for a cruiser in the 38 to 42 range and have been running into well setup Morgan 41 sloops that are reasonably priced. Any info; good, bad, or ugly would be appreciated.
skimatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 09:49   #2

Re: Morgan 41 classic

Old Morgans are considered well built and very roomy. They are not very fast. They are built like the proverbial brick Outhouse. I loved mine. and while I had it, I worked on a few other Morgans. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 10:54   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

The Morgan sloops are nice boats. My first boat was a 32. My neighbor at the marina has a 38 and loves it, for the most part. Not too happy with his holding tank glassed into the keel and leaking. But every boat has its compromises. On the other hand he is very pleased with its performance. He'll be taking it to the Bahamas this spring.

I believe the previous poster was referring to the Out Island series of boats when he mentioned poor performance. They were designed like tanks for the charter trade. They are indeed roomy. You might want to do a little research into the OI 41. The few people I've known that had one were pleased with its performance. Not so for the other OI boats.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 11:17   #4

I have owned an OI 37, Morgan 38 and Morgan 46. These are very sturdy boats. Check the decks carefully as they are plywood cored on some models. Additionally, deck leaks are common and hard to trace due to the glass headliner on some of them. Also, I had a mast step fail. It was wood and rotted out.
Overall, they are good boats and I would buy another if I was in the market.
goodnumbers64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 11:24   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Since I've been living aboard and cruising Morgan Out Islands since 1973 I've probably lost the memory of my high performance Sparkman & Stephens that I owned earlier. The Morgan Classics have a little deeper draft and a cut-away between the skeg supported rudder and the keel. This adds a little performance, but I've always been very satisfied with my 1973 413 model.
Old 30-11-2015, 11:27   #6

Confusing , Morgan 41 " classic , as stated in lead , or Morgan 41 O.I.
The Morgan 41 Classic that comes to my mind is the Chas. Morgan designed centerboarder , a fast and seaworthy boat for its time ! Matter of fact a 40 some year old one won a Bermuda race several years ago ! Which Boat ?
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 12:10   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimatsu View Post
I have been looking for a cruiser in the 38 to 42 range and have been running into well setup Morgan 41 sloops that are reasonably priced. Any info; good, bad, or ugly would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Rock Candy View Post
Old Morgans are considered well built and very roomy. They are not very fast. They are built like the proverbial brick Outhouse. I loved mine. and while I had it, I worked on a few other Morgans. Mac
Early on the Morgan OutIsland 41 was dibbed the "Outhouse 41". The one I was on could not tack in light air to save it's life.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 15:28   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Unfortunately the Morgan Classic name is misleading. The "Classic" is the newer Catalina production of the Morgan Out Island and not the performance Morgans that were built before the Out Island series.

It's misleading to suggest that the full keel boats like the Out Islands can not come about. It is true that those who are accustomed to the pivoting of a fin keel boat would have difficulty maneuvering a full keel boat, but the problem is not the vessel, but the lack of skill of the helmsman. That said, there's no question that a full keel boat is not as responsive as a fin keel performance.
Old 30-11-2015, 18:29   #9

Boat: 1988 Morgan classic 41

I have one, a 1988, and I love it ( so does my wife and that's important).😄 There are some minor differences from year to year, but otherwise they are all similar.

Strong, comfortable, and sail well. I too, heard all the negative talk about its sailing performance, but it's not true. Perhaps it was true before Catalina bought and changed them.

Just to confirm what was said above, the " Classic" is indeed the newer Catalina version. They have a modified keel, and skeg hung rudder.

I have a good friend who owns a 1989, and he too loves it. We always compare pros and cons of the various differences in our boats, so I'm familiar with boats from both those years. If you have any questions, fire away, I'd be glad to answer them for you.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Morgan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 21:46   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I've delivered two 41' Morgans, one an OI41 and the other a Classic 41. I preferred the Classic's sailing ability, although it came at the expense of slightly more draft.
Nothing's perfect.
Old 30-11-2015, 22:25   #11

Yes...the one I was on was not a classic. My HR is full kell with cutaway fore foot. I can tack as slow as 1.5 kts.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 01-12-2015, 16:50   #12
cruiser

The Morgan 41 and the Out Island 41 are two different boats. See them listed on sailboatdata.com under Charles Morgan, designer.

Anyone considering an OI 41 might first read Donald Street's assessment of the boat in his book, Seawise.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 17:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Yes...the one I was on was not a classic. My HR is full kell with cutaway fore foot. I can tack as slow as 1.5 kts.
I crewed aboard a HR36 last summer
and the only way to tack in light air was to back the jib
until it came around way past the wind.
Took some getting used to compared to some other boats I've been on.
Cheers
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 18:19   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Cheers
Celestialsailor can tack his long keel HR with the cut-away fore foot at 1.5 kts. in the same manner that I can tack my Morgan OI with the cut-away fore foot at 1.5 kts. Backing the jib us not the "only way" to tack these boats in light air.
Tacking a long keel boat in light air requires that you know the point closest to the wind where you can maintain good momentum and conserve this momentum of the heavy boat through the turn. It also requires that you can anticipate the reciprocal point of best performance after completing the tack without going way beyond this efficient point as quoted above. This is a skill difficult for those that are accustomed to the immediate feedback of a fin keel boat. I'm not suggesting right or wrong or a better or worse technique. It's simply a different adaptation for a different boat design and it requires time with the boat.
Old 01-12-2015, 18:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Cheers
The HR35 is an Olle Enderlein design which has a modest beam of 10'3" and tacks relatively well. Much different than the HR36 designed by German Frers with an, 11'8" beam. However the HR36 does have a fin keel and skeg rudder and with that should tack fine also. So your claim that you had to back-wind the jib seems odd to me. So either you were on a river against a current, inexperience on the part of the captain or a dig towards me for offering the sailing ability of an OI41. The HR35 and OI41 are not nimble racers which was the point I made with my first post here. If you want a cruiser, buy a cruiser.

Tags
morgan