Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 11:54   #46

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: MOODY 54-DS V/S beneteau-OCEANIS 55

Not much sense comparing two boats of a difference price range and quality, including built quality.

If you wand a non DS saloon boat with about the same price tag of the Moody 54DS I suggest you to look at one of the the boats that won this Year European Boat of the Year contest, the Wauquiez centurion 57. According to the many boat testers the boat won not for being particularly innovative or nice looking but for being very well built and to sail very well particularly on demanding circumstances.

On that price range (Moody 54DS) and as an option of a non DS boat I would also be looking to the new Euphoria 54. I saw the boat on Dusseldorf and looked to me as a great quality boat for the price.

https://vimeo.com/115330522
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:08   #47

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Twin props means more drag, more expense, more maintenance. But so many advantages... A number of the beautiful Moody gentleman's motor sailers of the '70's could be ordered with twin screws, like the Moody 66 Grenadier from 1974: Diesel-electric theoretically allows you twin screws without increasing the machinery inside -- an intriguing idea. I wouldn't give up the bow thruster, however, which is useful even with twin screws.
Electric propulsion on hybrid technology for sailboats and catamarans

"ADVANTAGES: SILENT ELECTRICAL DRIVES... Saildrive combined with the powerful battery pack will provide between 30 min and several hours of motoring in total silence before the soundproofed generator kicks in. Only the sound of water flowing down the hull will be heard. This enhances your boating experience by being able to take in all of what nature provides around you, and to create almost zero noise pollution to fellow boaters...."

I've seen that "big single generator/twin electric prop" on a big monohull but I can't find where ...

"The benefits of diesel electric drive begin with the design freedom the system affords the yacht's designer. The engine can be installed wherever appropriate to achieve optimum use of space for the accommodation. Noise and vibration are more easily suppressed than in a conventional direct engine-to-propeller drive. Turning the props with electric motors enhances slow-speed maneuverability by providing unrestricted minimum prop speeds with 100 percent torque available to provide immediate power response at all times. Prop synchronization is automatic and extremely precise. When under way all of the electrical power required by the vessel can be supplied from the diesel electric propulsion system, eliminating the need to run a genset. A diesel electric power system can drive multiple propellers from a single engine or use multiple engines to power one or more props. In a twin-engine/twin-prop system, one engine can power both props when operating within the speed limits imposed in many areas. Electrical power from the vessel's genset can be used to propel the boat, providing a built-in backup-especially valuable for yachts with single-engine installations. Conversely, the propulsion system can serve as a backup for the yacht's gensets."
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:20   #48
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

i can't speak for the 54 DS, but The Hanse/Moody 45DS had a number of construction aspects that I would have issue with , including front engine access, and rudder tube construction.

As for Amel not being a condo. Well for a million dollar boat , its full of the usual condo stuff, like fridges, freezers, dishwashers, fancy woodwork , etc etc. Its hardly a spartan boat.

Also having worked on one, its quirky , has a number of custom AMEL only parts and is full of sophisticated systems .

Its a fine boat, but there are many others in that price bracket that are too.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:44   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Also having worked on one, its quirky , has a number of custom AMEL only parts and is full of sophisticated systems .

Its a fine boat, but there are many others in that price bracket that are too.
It's a great advantage to be able to walk into any chandlery worldwide and buy spare or replacement parts right off the shelf. Never a good idea to depend on one supplier. I agree with Dave, Amel is a nice boat but we chose a boat with systems and parts which are common.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:54   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It's a great advantage to be able to walk into any chandlery worldwide and buy spare or replacement parts right off the shelf. Never a good idea to depend on one supplier. I agree with Dave, Amel is a nice boat but we chose a boat with systems and parts which are common.
Yes, Ken, but you also chose a boat with awesome factory support with regard to locating those "common" systems and parts.

Amel is the only other maker besides Oyster which provides this kind of total support, including maintaining complete records on every boat made, and stocking and shipping out to any point in the world all kinds of parts, including those of normal common makers.

I have only envy for Amel and Oyster owners, since the maker of my boat doesn't exist any more. Getting parts for even common things like the ubiquitous Whale Gulper 220 pump is not something to take for granted -- there wasn't a bloody diaphragm for that pump in all of bloody Sweden last summer, although that's a nation of yachtsmen. I eventually found my own spare on board; if I had not had it it would have really put a damper on that part of the cruise. Imagine if you're in Bora Bora or someplace like that and something breaks. You can't anticipate everything -- impossible to keep absolutely every conceivable spare on board.

I've also had a hell of a time getting parts for my Simpson S175 powered davits.

If I ever change boats, I will give a lot of consideration to this question.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:59   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Yes, Ken, but you also chose a boat with awesome factory support with regard to locating those "common" systems and parts.

Amel is the only other maker besides Oyster which provides this kind of total support, including maintaining complete records on every boat made, and stocking and shipping out to any point in the world all kinds of parts, including those of normal common makers.

I have only envy for Amel and Oyster owners, since the maker of my boat doesn't exist any more. Getting parts for even common things like the ubiquitous Whale Gulper 220 pump is not something to take for granted -- there wasn't a bloody diaphragm for that pump in all of bloody Sweden last summer, although that's a nation of yachtsmen. I eventually found my own spare on board; if I had not had it it would have really put a damper on that part of the cruise. Imagine if you're in Bora Bora or someplace like that and something breaks. You can't anticipate everything -- impossible to keep absolutely every conceivable spare on board.

I've also had a hell of a time getting parts for my Simpson S175 powered davits.

If I ever change boats, I will give a lot of consideration to this question.
We keep spares on board for everything. Even spares for spares. Last season we had a leaky end cap for our watermaker membrane tube.. had a spare end cap onboard.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:30   #52

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Amel boats are well built for cruising, but pretty slow.

When you compare these boats, remember that you will be spending a lot of time in the tropics. Big windows mean the boat becomes a greenhouse in the baking sun. While you are wandering around the boat, imagine that it is 32 degrees with 80% humidity and occasional showers.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:28   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
We keep spares on board for everything. Even spares for spares. Last season we had a leaky end cap for our watermaker membrane tube.. had a spare end cap onboard.
Hah, so do I. But Murphy's Law says that just that thing which broke, will be the one thing you happen not to have a spare for.

For example, at the beginning of my first Brittany cruise a few years ago, my windlass motor case rusted through from the inside -- no more windlass. You cannot, simply cannot handle a 121 pound Rocna (the anchor we had at the time)without a windlass. I had a new one air-freighted to Guernsey at enormous cost, but by the time I got and installed it, most of the cruise was over. It was awful having to find a port every night we weren't on passage. Do you carry a spare windlass motor?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 00:44   #54

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft

Can anybody comment on what the Moody DS is like to sail. The view forward from the helm positions look very restricted. I had a look at one a while back and although I'm 6ft plus, it looked like a lot of standing is required just to keep a good look out. On the Benateau, what the engine noise level like in the aft cabins. I still have nightmares about trying to sleep beside the engine on a Benateau 36. Joe
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:15   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Amel boats are well built for cruising, but pretty slow.

The old ones yes, the new ones are relatively fast for the type of boat. One of the new ones made a remarkable fast passage on one of the last ARC.
Old 04-03-2015, 19:42   #56

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 45

I have a B45 and love it. More importantly my wife loves it! It's roomy, fast, sails great and is comfortable. I haven't done any blue water but wouldn't hesitate to. I think a lot of production boats get a bad rap but I think the latest Oceanis line are the best boats Beneteau has ever built. Will it ever be a classic sailboat, I doubt it, but you get a lot of boat for the money and she is beautiful. I looked at everything before I bought this one and I can say I don't have buyers remorse at all. About the only option I didn't get was dock and go. I thought it would be a great feature especially for my wife but I had the two largest dealers talk me out of it (one on the east coast and one on the west). Initially they had problems with the computer that ran the system (not the bow thruster or the pod sail drive) and for 30k I think they where right. After a few days my wife was backing the boat into the slip like a pro.
Ala Moana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 20:01   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Hah, so do I. But Murphy's Law says that just that thing which broke, will be the one thing you happen not to have a spare for.
Do you carry a spare windlass motor?
No, but we had a windlass rebuild kit onboard when our's pooped the bed last May when we first headed out of Garucha. We hired a very nice Spaniard engineer to rebuild it, and we're back on our way in two days. Cost 300 euros.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:14   #58

Quote:
... Garucha. ..
Do you have found out and tried the two local specialties: The Garrucha red shrimp (Gamba roja) and Mojama, those dried pieces of tuna that look like dried ham?

A small town with two of the best delicacies you can find anywhere. The marina is nothing of special the town is uninteresting but when we pass on that coast we don't miss Garrucha.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:59   #59

Boat: Hanse 575

Another boat to consider which compares to th B55 is the Hanse 575. What a lot of people do not realise is that the Moody 54DS and Hanse575 share the same hull
Why one is called 54 feet and the other is 57 feet is any ones guess when they both measure just over 55 feet.
I took delivery of my Hanse575 last October and have sailed almost 2000nm. The more I sail the boat the more I love it. Most people that coment on boats have never stepped on board let alone sailed one. I can tell you the 575 S
shoel draft boat sails like a dream at all angles to the wind and it is quick.
It is very easly sailed with a couple (I am an over weight 58 year old and race my boat single handed)
Although the Hanse looks reasonably priced it does add up when you start to tick all the boxes, about another 20%. But you do end up with a well equiped yacht with what you want in it.
I prefer the Hanse 575 to the Moody 54DS as I feel they have tried to cram to much into the boat. I think the 575 is more open, every thing down stairs is on one level, the cock pit is better layed out and you have better forward vision. We can fully in close our cock pit with clears and sail in comfort in bad weather.
The best thing of all is the dingy garage. We carry a 9 foot hard foor Rib with. 3 hp outboard attached. We also carry a 15hp motor in the front loft in case we need to travel at speed for any distance. This is lifted out with a halyard. We do not deflate the dingy or have to remove the 3hp. There is a remote controlled electric winch to retrieve the dingy into the garage. This can not be done on the Moody as the dingy goes in side ways and needs to be deflated.
Below is a vedio of my boat.

http://youtu.be/nUvQLr42Aus
Jode7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 22:21   #60

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 55

[QUOTE=GGamble;1761662]And as to the dinghy garage. I love the idea... BUT.... Unless you have a really large yacht you have to remove the engine, deflate the tubes ect... Eats up a lot of room and does not make it that much easier. Plus we all know the best dinghy is the biggest dinghy you can manage! We designed and built an arch for the stern of the boat that serves three purposes. First it's davits for the dinghy. Second it's the rear attachment point for the Bimini. Third it holds the radar and sat tv domes. Attachment 98092

Where can I get that arch for an Oceanis 55?
lodjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis