Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2015, 17:34   #16

Re: MOODY 54-DS V/S beneteau-OCEANIS 55

thank you everyone for your comments, i really appreciate it !
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 04:03   #17

HI There

This is quite a difficult question. But I tend to think with all the mileage that you are planning , extended water sailing">blue water sailing, circumnavigation etc, then the actual sailing performance would be key . After a while no one likes to take for ages to get anywhere. I deliver boats far and wide and have as a result experinced both the models that you refer too. The Moody is a true Bill Dixion classic in sailing terms , it has that very easy motion at sea in smooth or lumpy stuff (sea state) . Has a wonderful balance between sails and helm feel. AT night it is one of those boats that you are able to feel on the helm so easily that steering is a joy. As for safety in a sea way, the wrap around high bulwarks the short guard rail are a real plus. Not knowing your age but one owner that I delivered for, remarked that he liked this feature but really fell in love with it after some serious heavy weather experience. I myself was not sure of the 54 unitil I sailed one, being somewhat younger and like you a keen Cat sailor. Internally this is a personal preference thing The Oceanis or the Moody both orginally came on to the market around the same time , in different ways I like both but again have found myself coming around more often to the Moody 54 . Sail control systems are another area that you might think of as at night the simpler the better. For me personally I revell in a boat that just sails well with as little fuss as possible and does so with a useful turn of speed. Hope this helps , Good luck with your deliberations. David
David R Broise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 04:04   #18

HI There

This is quite a difficult question. But I tend to think with all the mileage that you are planning , extended blue water sailing, circumnavigation etc, then the actual sailing performance would be key . After a while no one likes to take for ages to get anywhere. I deliver boats far and wide and have as a result experenced both the models that you refer too. The Moody is a true Bill Dixion classic in sailing terms , it has that very easy motion at sea in smooth or lumpy stuff (sea state) . Has a wonderful balance between sails and helm feel. AT night it is one of those boats that you are able to feel on the helm so easily that steering is a joy. As for safety in a sea way, the wrap around high bulwarks the short guard rail are a real plus. Not knowing your age but one owner that I delivered for, remarked that he liked this feature but really fell in love with it after some serious heavy weather experience. I myself was not sure of the 54 unitil I sailed one, being somewhat younger and like you a keen Cat sailor. Internally this is a personal preference thing The Oceanis or the Moody both orginally came on to the market around the same time , in different ways I like both but again have found myself coming around more often to the Moody 54 . Sail control systems are another area that you might think of as at night the simpler the better. For me personally I revell in a boat that just sails well with as little fuss as possible and does so with a useful turn of speed. Hope this helps , Good luck with your deliberations. David
David R Broise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 04:36   #19

In what way does either of the vessels have any of the characteristsics of a bluewater boat?

Both look like fair weather coastal cruisers, which would probably be fine in the tropics so long as you took great care to avoid storms. But neither look anything like a boat I'd want to sail across the Southern Ocean
TwoLegged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 05:04   #20

Boat: Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Neither are particularly good Blue Water boats... if I was looking at those 2, I would have a long sideways glance at Bene 57's... no longer very new but very good value for money. Avoid the dark Blue hulls ...

... or perhaps you have more money than most of us

Good Luck in your quest.
Indeed. The 57 is perhaps the best boat Bene have built since the earlier Firsts in terms of design and build quality. Not much of a looker though...
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 11:54   #21

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct Tape View Post
Indeed. The 57 is perhaps the best boat Bene have built since the earlier Firsts in terms of design and build quality. Not much of a looker though...
Duct tape... you have a PM
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 11:57   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct Tape View Post
True it's not very pretty, but the B57 is a really cool boat, very well designed for this kind of use. I agree this is worth a look. A lot of boat for the money, too.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 12:35   #23

I heard Benni didn't make any money on the 57. You can kinda tell because its one of the better Benni's I have seen. I think its a great choice for someone looking for a real high value boat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 16:35   #24

Apples and oranges. B55 would be a more direct rival to Hanse 575. And for that matter I'd go for the Hanse, just because the interior is more interesting and headroom is incredible (I'm 6'4" and I can hardly touch the ceiling at the guest cabins!).

I'm sure MarkJ will definitely agree, on cf, lots of brand snobs, including myself and my neverending fetish with Gunboats. However, I also do believe that production boats are not what they were 15 years ago, and with better controlled lamination and CNC tech, the price difference between a premium brand and production brand just doesn't worth it.

If you're planning to go for the M54 DS, which I'd choose over any other production monohull, including the M62 DS; and can afford it, then please, go for a cat! Bigger space, much bigger cabins, all the privacy that you can possibly want along with volume and better average speeds!

Either case, sail in good health!

M.
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 16:36   #25

...and I agree on the Beneteau 57, if it's brand was Nauticat, Oyster or Najad; there won't be as many people as now finding them ugly...
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 21:49   #26

Hi, I own a Beneteau 55. Hull Number 16 S/V Testarossa. It is a very capable yacht and while some old salts would say being a Beneteau its not really an ocean boat. I'v skippered boats across the Atlantic 4 times and have sailed around most of the Atlantic several times. I sure i'm not the most experienced person here, but... The 55 is an excellent boat. She is dry sea kindly, fast and easy to manage. We raced her from FL to Mexico last year. It was 25 to 30 on the nose the whole way. The only failure we had was the jib sheet which exploded. No one wore foul weather gear we cooked and ate well. In the end we were first overall, first to finish and first in class. We were pushing her hard double reefed and jib rolled well up. When we bore off to cross the Gulf stream we hit 17 knots GPS speed with a steady 14 +. The point being that even pushed hard she was comfortable. BUT!!!! We spend 10 to 20+ days in port to everyday you spend at sea and that is where she really shines! Tons of room well thought out, very comfortable to live on. I have the deep keel (7'3"). I would not buy one without Dock-and-go. Anyone with experience with twin rudders knows they can be a handful in marinas. I don't have in mast furling and you have to be ready to reef early. She winds up in 8-10 at 12 your rolling up some jib. Highest wind we have had in is 35-40 which she handled fine. And as a point to the old salts... Beneteaus cross the oceans more than any other brand.

George Gamble
Beneteau Oceanis 55, Testarossa
J boats J-111, My Sharona (2015 Key West/J-111 midwinter Champion)
GGamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 05:24   #27

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGamble View Post
Hi, I own a Beneteau 55... The 55 is an excellent boat. She is dry sea kindly, fast and easy to manage. We raced her from FL to Mexico last year. It was 25 to 30 on the nose the whole way. The only failure we had was the jib sheet which exploded. No one wore foul weather gear we cooked and ate well. In the end we were first overall, first to finish and first in class. We were pushing her hard double reefed and jib rolled well up. When we bore off to cross the Gulf stream we hit 17 knots GPS speed with a steady 14 +... Beneteaus cross the oceans more than any other brand. George Gamble...
I'm not surprised of the performance of your Beneteau 55 as Berret-Racoupeau is a very capable naval architect office with over 35 years of yacht design both cruisers & racers. From the beginning, Berret's name was often on the podium of IOR races... Beneteau, Wauquiez & Fountaine Pajot are some of the best French yachts builders offering BR designs. If our friend Alexxx is too poor to afford a 100' Bucket Race compatible yacht he should nevertheless have a look at other BR designs such as Mary Blue or Louise... I love the idea of having the dinghy ready to launch in the transom of Mary Blue Cheers !
PS: What's the problem with twin rudders in marinas ? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Louise.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	98050   Click image for larger version

Name:	MaryBlue-65.jpg
Views:	6074
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	98051  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 05:41   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
PS: What's the problem with twin rudders in marinas ? Thanks
No prop wash on the rudders, so you don't have any steering control until you have a certain amount of way on.

With a single rudder close behind the prop, you get steering control from much lower speed, because the stream of water from the prop hits the rudder.

It's a very serious disadvantage of twin rudders, but can be compensated with thrusters.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 06:17   #29

ha ha !!!! "too poor" !! for now, i'm sure I am, but i keep on saving! 3 more years and i should be ready and dandy !!
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 06:40   #30
med

For a serious blue water boat for travelling long distances in comfort for 2-4 people in this size category, take a look at Amel. They are extremely well thought out for this purpose. But they are not everyone's cup of tea and probably a bit more expensive. But there is a very active second hand market.

If you are in a far flung anchorage almost all on your own, most of the time the only other boat there will be an Amel.
med is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis