Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 08:06   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43 Deck Salon
Moody 419?

Hello all,

I will be looking at what I think is a 1984 Moody 419 centerboard. It has been extended to 45 feet overall by extending the stern. I'm told the work was done by a reputable yard on the east coast after she was sailed across the Atlantic. Not being an engineer I'm concerned about this modification.
I also see that the ports are different and the salon appears to be slightly modified too. I have not sailed a centerboard is this good or bad? any input about this boat and it's suitability for cruising to places far and near would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Link to listing below
1985 Moody Custom Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:32   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Moody 419?

An older Bill Dixon design made by a high quality builder in the UK. A bit old fashioned (naturally; the boat is 30 years old) but these are solid, well-made, seaworthy, and comfortable boats, if a little cavelike below as boats of those era tend to be.

Stern extensions on plain transom boats are pretty common and should not be of any concern if well executed. Nearly all the Oyster 53's of the '80's, for example, were converted to 55's by adding a stern extension.

Centerboard boats are a compromise which make it possible to have a decent deep keel while being able to pull the board up for shallow water. If you are sailing in very shallow water (Bahamas, some parts of Florida, ICW) then this could be a plus; otherwise it is a negative since you have a whole mechanism to deal with and can give trouble, and a centerboard can't be made to be as good as a fixed fin keel, especially a bulb keel.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:40   #3

Boat: Scanmar 40

I concur with Dockhead. The only addition I would put forward is to check whether it has been treated for osmosis. The earlier Moody's were a bit prone. I had to have my 36 treated.
AndytheSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 14:31   #4

Hi all,
I'm looking at the same boat. It's in great condition but I have reservations

I hear the 40 became a 42 by Moody extending the Transom so...Was the Mast move toward the rear? If not then essentially they (The shipyard that did the mod) added 5 feet to the transom and left the Mast forward. A bit confused here
It is a Cutter.
What effect can this have?
Is the waterline actually extended?

Lennie, you didn't buy her. any thoughts?

Thanks for any help offered

Mike
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 04:47   #5

Boat: Moody 45
Send a message via Skype™ to avittery

I purchased a 1985 45 Moody CB here in Vancouver, which was originally a 419. I am curious if this is the same vessel, arrived from Florida around 2002 after a huge refit. Boats name is Kalitsah if anybody has any knowledge of it. Alan
avittery is offline   Reply With Quote