Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2022, 03:07   #1

Boat: Searunner 34
Moody 35 cc 1993

I'm looking at a used Moody 35 center cockpit yacht in Tahiti. The boat appears to be well maintained.

I can't find much information about these boats. Does anyone have any experience with them as far as sailing qualities or reliability goes. I've got to sail it back to New Zealand, and would like to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Thanks for the help.
clemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 03:55   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Moody 35 cc 1993

Moody was one of the main yacht builders in the UK and when the company went out of business in the 2000's was the oldest yacht builder in the world, dating back to the early 19th century.

This one was designed by Bill Dixon and was one of Moody's attempts to go more mass market and compete with the mass produced French boats (Moody's original market was very expensive gentlemen's motor sailors). So this is a fairly inexpensive and simple boat, but the good news is that the structure and structural design, a Moody hallmark, is absolutely first class and far better than other boats of this price range.

This is a fairly fat boat with emphasis on interior volume (which is large for 35 footer), and with a modest rig, the boat is not known to have great sailing qualities. The tankage is small for ocean crossing. It's intended as a family coastal cruiser.

If you are comparing this to Beneteaus and Jenneaus of the same era, which should be priced similarly, this boat will be slower but much stronger and better built. You may also prefer the layout, which has aft main cabin instead of forward, and a better galley which is not in the middle of the salon. On the down side, this boat doesn't have a separate nav station -- you have to set at the edge of the salon settee.

There is a very active owners' association.

These boats are over 30 years old now, so the most important thing in buying one is to evaluate the amortization of all the systems, rig and other elements and understand what kind of costs you will have going forward. Depending on that, boats of this age may even have negative value, so watch out -- a superficially well maintained but basically never updated boat of this age might cost more to bring up to snuff than it will be worth afterwards. If, on the other hand, "well maintained" means that systems have been updated and replaced regularly, sails and rigging are fairly new, electronics are not 20 years old and all work, electrical equipment is complete and not ancient, engine has reasonable hours and has gotten more maintenance than just oil changes, then it could be a good deal. Pay particular attention to the tanks -- if they are getting near end of life, this is very expensive to fix. Also to the bottom -- this is the era of osmosis. Don't even think about going further without a surveyor, and you will need to haul the boat to properly inspect it.

Good luck!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 04:47   #3

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Moody 35 cc 1993

head over to the Moody MOA. they know a thing or two and have a section you can join for Q and A for those thinking about buying a moody

https://www.moodyowners.info/

you might have limited access to files an such so If you want to see something let me know.

in the mean time.. if you want to see some of the files, there a 19mb PDF with boat load of info. PM me your email and I'll send it to ya..
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote