Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2012, 15:23   #1

Boat: Hunter 31 31 ft
Monohull vs Catamaran

We are closing in on our goal of getting out of the rat race. We have a couple questions to throw out in here to get some feedback. Other than the purchase expense of the catamaran we would like to hear back from those in here that have either type and give us some pro's and con's of why it is beneficial to have one type or the other.

We plan on cruising and will be a live aboard so take that in consideration. We actually like the cats but are not sure if that is the route we should take.

C and G
notdoneyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 15:36   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Monohull vs Catamaran

I have owned several of both. My opinion is still worth only 2cents
Mono's sail more romanticaly. They handle head on and punch thru seas much nicer and point a tiny bit higher (dont get me started) than Cats. Monos sail nice and have a feel that you are "sailing" to them. Cats just haul Buttt, and and still dont feel fast even though they are,
Not counting the 5 years of racing cats or several years prior of Monos, since owning larger keel boats and cruising style cats, I can tell you our time spent at anchor is roughly 65% vs 35% sailing or motoring or both to our destinations.
Catamarans kick the ever loving Crizzap out of monos at anchor. Yes certain ones may make a tiny bit of noise in rough anchorages but that is better then rolling 20 degrees on every axis when a large boat goes by.
Cats do not go to Rough weather very well but running with or from it they excell hands down,Surfing down 10-12' seas is done with ease, . I spent 3 days heeled at 20 degrees one a trip last year in a mono, and you just cant compare to not heeling more then 4 degrees.
One is hard on the body your crew and your drink cups, the other is not.
We are looking for a larger cat either a 37-39 FP or Lagoon or Leopard in the next 12-16 months. We want to explore places and live comfortably. If we just wanted to live comfortably we could do with something cheaper as we own already. We love the privacy of multiple suites on opposite sides , and the huge head and sep shower, and the storage, and the ability to entertain without tripping on eachother and the tankage, and she loves the huge freezer and fridge, and huge galley, and the stability of it all.
But... many cats are different, not all are equally comfy or roomy. Do your research and spend some time on each, dont fall in love with the first one or two you step on. I wish I had, I wish I had spent a little bit to charter multiple varieties, and will do so befo rechoosing our next. But I do love monos, they are awesome, Cats just do what we like to do better. Both handle rough stuff differently. Not sure your exp level, My advice is go out and sail and charter and try to use both in every condition imaginable and then decide where you are going, what you spend most of your time doing, and work from there. I love big monos, but a 30 cat has layout the space of most 40' monos.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 15:37   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Please try using the search function as this issue has been done to death, many times.

And welcome to CF
Old 22-01-2012, 15:37   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

They both have there good's and bad's, monos have the depth which can be a problem. Also the getting used to being on a slant most of the time. Mulitihulls can and do have a problem with over loading, if proper care is not taken to make sure they are on there proper lines when ready to go! Then theres the cost ! right now except for trimarands,Mulithulls are expensive as heck in the sizes most of us would like to have !! Monos have been around for a while and larger real sea boats are a lot less expensive ! it's the main reason Connie and I are still looking for a new to us sail boat !! We would love to have a new or even a used cat! but the prices are more then we can afford, and still have Cruising buget left ! So we are looking at motorsailers. It all depends on your needs and pocket book !! Again I know what I can do with a mono hull in the price range I can afford, But keep hoping for a BIG change in prices for mulithulls. just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 15:43   #5

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

Can of Worms.....................Open!

As the previous poster said, search this forum for a "multi"tude of answers and honest opinions. If you haven't sailed on one of either try them both. Go charter a cat or a mono, and when you decide what you like within your budget go for it.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 15:47   #6

The policy on CF is to be nice to people, i will try and keep that in mind.

Try using the search function the question that you are asking has been argued to death so many times here. If, as i hope, you are seeking information rather than just trying to see if you can restart a war, try for less general question, at least provide more information for the plans that you would have for the boat.
Old 22-01-2012, 15:48   #7

Boat: Hunter 31 31 ft

Thanks guys, and didn't see the search function.
notdoneyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 15:51   #8

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

If you have to ask Monohull vs Catamaran then you should get a Mono.
Its much cheaper and will get you out sailing asap on a small budget.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 16:28   #9

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think cats are easier to sail.
Most people get seasick less on a cat but the acceleration and deceleration is really tough on some. They like monos.
What's your budget?

Tags
catamaran, monohull