Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2022, 23:15   #31

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Modern world cruisers in the mid 30s?

Forna396 we built a 32 foot multichine plywood yacht using stitch and tape method. We used plenty of epoxy and various layers of 450gm double bias cloth on all the joints. Then coated with two pack polyurethane paint.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3093 (3).JPG
Views:	48
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	256789  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 23:51   #32

Fore and Aft, awesome, nothing like a home built boat.
Forna396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 06:46   #33

Boat: Looking to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If you are considering a Bavaria, I'd suggest reading this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-253634.html It describes a problem and one solution to it.

Thank you for the link, I appreciate it.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 18:17   #34

That is cool as hell! I dig the lines. Did you make a thread with more info on her somewhere I can see?

Also, I hate to be that guy but I'm under the impression that Bavarias are in the same class as Beneteaus - price point production models and not 'real bluewater' boats. I've only ever been on one at a boat show and seen internet yammering, so...
soopad00pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 19:38   #35

Thumbs up Re: Modern world cruisers in the mid 30s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Forna396 we built a 32 foot multichine plywood yacht using stitch and tape method. We used plenty of epoxy and various layers of 450gm double bias cloth on all the joints. Then coated with two pack polyurethane paint.
Cheers
Your yacht looks very similar to a RM yacht, nice.
Old 29-04-2022, 00:04   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If you are considering a Bavaria, I'd suggest reading this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-253634.html It describes a problem and one solution to it.
Using this unique incident , and a serious edge case , is ridiculous, it shows nothing really and can’t be extrapolated into anything , any yacht , sailed in those conditions with those decisions could have foundered

It’s like damming all oysters or discovery ( or Amels with falling down masts ) yachts because one in incident
Old 29-04-2022, 00:16   #37
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopad00pa View Post
That is cool as hell! I dig the lines. Did you make a thread with more info on her somewhere I can see?

Also, I hate to be that guy but I'm under the impression that Bavarias are in the same class as Beneteaus - price point production models and not 'real bluewater' boats. I've only ever been on one at a boat show and seen internet yammering, so...
Any decent Bav at 45 feet or so , is just as bluewater as anything else , as you will find when YOU actually do some bluewater sailing and arrive at various crossroads and see it full of Beneteaus, Jeanneaus and Bavaria

This “ bluewater “ BS needs to stop it’s completed sh1t , largely promulgated by certain groups who think you need to spend 500k to cross the Atlantic , in some “ fancy “ Rolls Royce brand name fancy boat , or it’s needs to be built before 1880 and crewed by a press gang !

It’s utter BS , get out in the damm bluewater , turn up in cruising crossroads , look at what people are sailing

( 4 boats have left here in Greece to go to the Caribbean , two Beneteaus, A Jeanneau and a Bav , the only HR 50 is only going to Italy )

Let’s stop this BS “ bluewater “ debate , I’m listening to the nonsense since I joined CF.

The HR near me , is still repairing his engine , tanks and a pile of other faults , I think he’d buy a second HR with the money he’s spent !
Old 29-04-2022, 00:55   #38

Boat: Volkscruiser

Goboatingnow that's so true, over the years of surveying I have learned if it floats it's blue water capable.
Just look at this mad Frenchman about to finish his circumnavigation.
Cheers
https://taveacbaluchon.blogspot.com/...cores.html?m=1
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 03:26   #39

Yes agree, and I believe most important is watch the weather carefully, and be prepared for the worst.
Old 29-04-2022, 04:06   #40

Boat: Looking to buy

Quote:
Goboatingnow that's so true, over the years of surveying I have learned if it floats it's blue water capable.
Just look at this mad Frenchman about to finish his circumnavigation.
Cheers
https://taveacbaluchon.blogspot.com/...cores.html?m=1

Mad is an understatement, he's completely insane in the membrane!
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 04:14   #41

Island Packet 35 or 37 is nice.
Fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 04:18   #42
Nearly an old salt

Modern world cruisers in the mid 30s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forna396 View Post
Yes agree, and I believe most important is watch the weather carefully, and be prepared for the worst.

Preparing for the “worse “is the mentality that has people , who’ve likely never attempted a trans ocean voyage. like to trot out. It’s a cliche!

It really is a nonsense statement because no boat will survive the “ worst “ if the sea wants your life , it’s going to take it.

What you do is prepare for a reasonable set of expected realities. That includes light airs , various likely weather strategies and sufficient resources to comfortably survive the passage. That includes potable water , power generation etc.

Heavy weather strategies should be planned within the expected range of reasonable possibilities. You simply can’t prepare for the “ worst “ case because unless you have good personal experience of survival sailing , you’ll likely screw up anyway. The boat will not save you from yourself.

You here people discussing drogues , sea anchors etc who clearly have not been in survival storms. I suggest you try crewing on a few winter deliveries and come back here and chat.

Outside very high latitude sailing , most oceanic routes are fairly benign , that’s not to say you can’t get into trouble in mid latitudes , some of the toughest weather I’ve experienced was in the Med !! But unless you have a lot of experience many of your decisions , choices and actions are likely to be wrong. The learning curve at sea can be brutal !!
Old 29-04-2022, 04:20   #43
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbob View Post
Island Packet 35 or 37 is nice.

Very expensive for the size.
Old 29-04-2022, 05:10   #44

Quote:
I like the look of RM Yachts.
Cheers

https://www.rm-yachts.com/en/rm-970-en/
Reminds me of modern version of the Pearson 30 + 32.

Maybe look into some classic Pearsons, Soopa.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 07:06   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Any decent Bav at 45 feet or so , is just as bluewater as anything else , as you will find when YOU actually do some bluewater sailing and arrive at various crossroads and see it full of Beneteaus, Jeanneaus and Bavaria

This “ bluewater “ BS needs to stop it’s completed sh1t , largely promulgated by certain groups who think you need to spend 500k to cross the Atlantic , in some “ fancy “ Rolls Royce brand name fancy boat , or it’s needs to be built before 1880 and crewed by a press gang !

It’s utter BS , get out in the damm bluewater , turn up in cruising crossroads , look at what people are sailing

( 4 boats have left here in Greece to go to the Caribbean , two Beneteaus, A Jeanneau and a Bav , the only HR 50 is only going to Italy )

Let’s stop this BS “ bluewater “ debate , I’m listening to the nonsense since I joined CF.!
I agree with this! But…. The details matter. I have a 35’ 2005 Beneteau. I love it. It’s dry. Rock solid. Comfortable, large head, great headroom. Relatively easy to maintain, easy to get parts, yards know what to do with Beneteaus. Sails pretty well. I have been out in some big seas in it and I am confident in the boat. Highly recommend, I really like Beneteau.

But while I would go to Nova Scotia or the Bahamas in it, I would not cross a big ocean. Can it get to Bermuda? Yes. For sure. Other people have done it in this model. But I would use a different boat for that, personally. I would get a boat over 40’, deeper keel, a bit more D to the L. More cabinets, bigger tanks. I might very well get a bigger Beneteau.

There are horses for courses and different comfort levels. Weirdly, I bet I would be more comfortable taking this boat from Panama to the South Pacific than I would going Maine to Bemuda. It’s a bit light for my comfort level for that trip.

New boat buyers try to find the do it all boat. That is a fools errand. I have bought and sold boats, and the good thing is the market is hot and if you have a good boat that isn’t weird you can sell it and get a different one if your needs change. It’s not a lifetime commitment. Right now I don’t want to cross an ocean. If that changes maybe I get a different boat.
loneshark64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser