Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 15:11   #1

Mobile to key west

Just retired planning to take a little trip, mobile bay to key west- planning to leave boat in keys for awhile and use that as jumping off port for adventures to Bahamas and farther south for a few years. I would like some info on a good marina to leave my boat 31-2 Pearson.
Shc00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 18:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Mobile to key west

Hello and welcome to the forum. Anyone that owns a Pearson must be a good sailor or at least a smart guy.

Been a while since I was in Key West so can't offer any first hand information. But if you go to the website https://activecaptain.com/X.php and zoom in on the chart area in Key West it will show all the marinas. Then click on the red box on the chart for a specific marina and you will get a pop up with information and usually reviews from other boaters that have been there. Very handy resource.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:49   #3

Boat: Island Packet IP38

Were from Mobile. Dog river to be exact. We have made the run numerous times. We are currently in Key West living aboard our IP38. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Bucky205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 14:37   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Dockage in Key West is way spendy -- much more expensive than the Mobile Bay area. So, you might be a bit shocked at the prices.

The SW Coast of Florida is less expensive and is also a great cruising ground. You might consider leaving the boat there and then working your way around through the Keys when you are aboard again.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 15:28   #5

Boat: Catalina C22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky205 View Post
Were from Mobile. Dog river to be exact. We have made the run numerous times. We are currently in Key West living aboard our IP38. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Hello i own a C22 and i was wondering how long did it take you to sail from Mobile to the keys i am wanting to take my C22 on this trip once i restore it in about two years
thurmand92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 15:45   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

If you get a slip at Garrison Bight at a decent price (+-$500/month) but officially you may not stay overnight on your boat for more than 7 nights a month and you might have to sign a min. lease of 4-6 months. If that is interesting to you I can give you a phone number to call.
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 17:46   #7

Boat: Island Packet IP38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmand92 View Post
Hello i own a C22 and i was wondering how long did it take you to sail from Mobile to the keys i am wanting to take my C22 on this trip once i restore it in about two years
500 miles straight shot from Mobile, probably around 800 running the coat. I don't know exactly. You can do it in as quick as about a week and I have seen people take months. LOL...our average is about a month. The trip is to us the best part, Pensacola, Destin, Panama City, Port St Joe, Apalachicola, Clearwater, Tampa, Sarasota, and Charlotte Harbor are just some of the places you will pass through or near. Most of these places have great free anchorages, and some even have free docks. Enjoy the journey, It is truly the best part of the whole trip. I strongly reccomend an early spring or late fall trip. To us heating a boat is easy, cooling the boat to something that is comfortable is more challenging. We will head North after Fantasy Fest and back to Mobile, so if you see us along the way give us a shout.
Bucky205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 18:16   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

In addition to what MikeP said... the City of Key West also has a mooring field which is (kinda) reasonable
Old 02-10-2012, 18:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
In addition to what MikeP said... the City of Key West also has a mooring field which is (kinda) reasonable
If you do not mind a 20+ minute dingy ride in to shore.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:05   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepmtl
If you get a slip at Garrison Bight at a decent price (+-$500/month) but officially you may not stay overnight on your boat for more than 7 nights a month and you might have to sign a min. lease of 4-6 months. If that is interesting to you I can give you a phone number to call.
Wow we were quoted 1300 month for our 32 whats that number?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:37   #11

I sent you the contact info in a private message. Let me know how it goes. And please mention that I sent you. I might want that same deal again when I get back from the Bahamas. It's a great place to keep a boat in a lot of ways.

Tags
key west