Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2016, 13:04   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Methods to decrease heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I just measured the angle in this photo and got about 18 degrees heel (...)
Nice image. Looks Caribbean. Where are you?

By my book, you are already on the ear (given the boat you are sailing). This would be fine in our old style long narrow hull. Your boat should be able to sail fast with much less heel!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 14:05   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Nice image. Looks Caribbean. Where are you?

By my book, you are already on the ear (given the boat you are sailing). This would be fine in our old style long narrow hull. Your boat should be able to sail fast with much less heel!

b.
Greece... the Ionian..

In those winds it's getting close the wind speed it needs to be reefed because of the weather helm, but I guess if it is close, then it's probably already passed the point where it should have been reefed.

I need to start getting the hang of figuring out sail trim and reefing for maximum speed as by Christmas she'll be home in Melbourne and will be converted from a cruiser to a club "racer"
Old 29-08-2016, 15:09   #48

This worked for us:

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 15:47   #49

Boat: Tayana 52

Put a bit more twist in the main, the bulk of the sail is still providing power while easing the top will reduce heel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 18:52   #50

Boat: 55 fleming

Reef the main some and that should reduce the heel.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 19:20   #51

Boat: Hanse 400e 12M
Send a message via Skype™ to aitch

Having operated a 40 ft (12m) fin-keeled monohull for several years as a skippered charter boat, I often had to minimise heel for customer comfort, without losing too much power. I found repeatedly that a single reef had little effect on boat speed in the 10-20 knot wind range, but the boat stood up with less heel.
aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 21:18   #52

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Lots of good advice(surprisingly). Will only add that heeling over 30 degrees usually results in loss of speed. Usually just adjusting the sails will reduce heel. We sailed with just the jib and mizzen when in blustery conditions. Still went hull speed. If you are on a sloop, just drop the jib or main in strong winds, depending on direction.
Or get to enjoy sinking the rail into the water. The kids loved to get the tub as far over as possible, so we got use to 40 degrees of heel.
this is, pretty much, true. every boat has different lines. some boats, lik my lapworth designed cal 27-1 like to be sailed flat, like a dinghy. if you let her heel overly much you will be off her lines and the boat will not sail to her best performance. some boats like to sail well heeled. you have to know your boat.

i notice a lot of people that sail on lake marburg, in pa (where i used to sail before i started sailing in the bay), like to sail heeled way too far over. i don't know if they, mistakenly, think they are sailing faster that way or they just like the feeling but, if they were to ease their sails and trim properly, they'd heel less and make better way.
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 23:39   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
Put a bit more twist in the main, the bulk of the sail is still providing power while easing the top will reduce heel
That's a great technique. Someone above suggested putting the traveler up higher but letting off the mainsheet or vang to let the top twist off.

But this is a cheat to allow you to use a sail above its proper wind range. This should never be used inside the sail's normal wind range. Remember the OP's situation was 10 knots (!) of wind.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 00:24   #54

Boat: kuiper 32

You must have a very tender boat 10 knots of wind is not a lot, to reduce heeling i guess you would have to reef,Most boats ive sailed on or delivered hardly heel at all until at least 15 knots.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 03:58   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder dan View Post
You must have a very tender boat 10 knots of wind is not a lot, to reduce heeling i guess you would have to reef,Most boats ive sailed on or delivered hardly heel at all until at least 15 knots.
some boats are notorious heelers. The Fisher boats heel way over and keep going in moderate winds.You are stuck with having to grab what you can to prevent flying around in the cabin.

Good to actually sail before buying to see how a boat behaves. Some are so stiff, it takes a lot to get them even to a 20 degree heel like the old Hans Christians.

Worse is getting an extremely tender boat that is hard to hold onto. Low cockpit coamings, lack of handholds down below, no toe rails, etc. can make a very uncomfortable boat.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 06:58   #56
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
This weekend, I went on a great cruise 40 miles from A to B. The wind was perfect so as soon as the main and jib were set we went straight to our destination close-hauled. We were in a 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey.

We were probably getting 4.5kts in a 10kt wind so we also motorsailed to 6.2 -6.5kts on average. We had dinner reservations, so we needed to be over 6kts. The wind was coming from the northeast. We were about 40 degrees to the wind. We had about 17-20 degrees of heel. While this wasn't too bad, I wanted to make the new guests more comfortable, especially when eating.

Whenever I let out the main sheet, we lost too much power. What is the best way to reduce heel while still maintaining speed. What about moving the traveller leeward?

The winds must have changed a bit because about an hour after I let out the mainsheet, I tried it again and this time we nicely lost some heel but not speed.

What are some of the best methods to reduce heel without reducing much speed?
Lots of interesting responses.

If by jib, you mean 155% genoa, your data is not so alarming, other than speed, which indicates a sail trim issue (which may not be correctable with controls if sails are old and baggy).

Only checked a few responses, but didn't see the following additional items:

1. Harden the main outhaul if there is too much draft.
2. Harden the Cunningham or luff tension if the draft is too far aft.
3. Monitor your VMG (Velocity Made Good) while easing trim and sailing off a bit. (In all likelihood, you were trying to sail too high, and your VMG was slower than if you footed off a bit, eased out, and went for boat speed while sailing a few degrees lower.)
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 10:18   #57

Quote:
This weekend, I went on a great cruise 40 miles from A to B. The wind was perfect so as soon as the main and jib were set we went straight to our destination close-hauled. We were in a 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey.

We were probably getting 4.5kts in a 10kt wind so we also motorsailed to 6.2 -6.5kts on average. We had dinner reservations, so we needed to be over 6kts. The wind was coming from the northeast. We were about 40 degrees to the wind. We had about 17-20 degrees of heel. While this wasn't too bad, I wanted to make the new guests more comfortable, especially when eating.
I was out sailing my SO40 and even though my destination was downwind, I headed upwind just to see what heel angle my iPhone showed.

With 12 knots of wind (true) and AWA of 40, I was doing a little over 5 knots and was heeling at 8-9 degrees. As the OP was motor sailing, I started the motor, was doing 6.5 @ 40 degrees and the angle was 9-10 degrees.

I got bored and decided against trying to figure out how to lean it over anymore, so resumed my downwind course.
Old 30-08-2016, 10:34   #58

Set your course with the engine running in gear at approx speed you want. Loosen the sheets until the sail just starts to luff. Do that on the main also. Then do minor adjustments to balance the two and least heel. Adjust engine speed up or down to where you want.
If still too much heel reef the main or roll up the jib a bit.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 13:53   #59

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40

Quote:

What is the best way to reduce heel while still maintaining speed.

What are some of the best methods to reduce heel without reducing much speed?
1. Never be driven by an agenda.
2. Ease off the sheets and sail the boat on a reach rather than close hauled. You may travel further but you'll travel faster. Leaning over too far introduces leeway, drag, and discomfort.
3. Buy a catamaran and sail on the level.

Waits for flames.
Old 30-08-2016, 14:22   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohapence View Post
Waits for flames.
Okaaay . . .

Quote:
1. Never be driven by an agenda.
Say what? What does that mean?

Quote:
2. Ease off the sheets and sail the boat on a reach rather than close hauled. You may travel further but you'll travel faster. Leaning over too far introduces leeway, drag, and discomfort.
If your optimum VMG to windward is on a reach --

then you need a motorboat
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote