Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2008, 00:59   #1

Meridian 25

Hi everyone! What are your thoughts on the old Phillip Rhodes Meridian 25 for cruising in the Bahamas? I have fond memories of a 1963 Meridian 25 I had when I was a teenager, but I spent a lot of time working on it and very little time actually sailing it.

I'm getting back into sailing again, and I'm really coming into it from the ground up. I figure I can sail other people's boats while I save up for my own, with the ultimate goal of doing some cruising in my own boat in the Bahamas not too far off in the future. I'm thinking Meridian 25 because it's built solidly, has a 3'3" draft, and is probably just the right size for me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
charlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 05:56   #2

Boat: B24
Regrettably, I can tell you nothing you don’t already know as I have no personal experience other than seeing one from time to time… but from what I read on the Net, what a superb pocket yacht -- and with several ocean crossings, not to be sneezed at… Clearly, being a Rhodes design, the pedigree is above reproach and the vessel’s lines certainly are appealing to the classic eye…

Hopefully someone with first-hand knowledge will jump in here, Good luck…
Old 26-02-2008, 15:51   #3

Boat: Watkins 27
You might want to go over to Sailfar.net as there is a member that has a Meridian 25. I've seen their boat and she is beautiful.

Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 15:05   #4

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Visit SailFar.net

Let me second the post that referred you to SailFar.net

I have been crusing my 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' for the last 7 months. My wife and I have traveled over 2200 miles in a boat that is very much the same size as the wonderful Rhodes Meridian. You will probably hear that it will not work.. you can not do it from some of the big boat sailors. We have loved it and recommend it highly.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 18:17   #5

Boat: B24
Hey “Faith” – nice site… we’re still in the early stages of getting our little Bristol shipshape – which means we try to only tackle things in stages so we can sail (albeit sometimes with minimal equipment aboard) as much as possible while we putter… but we’ve got boxes of new ports, a scrounged stove, new cushions coming sometime, etc., etc – I’m sure ya know the drill…

Don’t know when we’re going or where as of yet, but we’ve pulled out the sailing directions to Bermuda more than once, so who knows… in the meantime it’s the Potomac and the Bay for us… was glad to find your site for reality-sized vessels…
Old 28-02-2008, 18:24   #6

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thanks Larry,

The B-24 is a WONDERFUL boat, and I am she will be worth all the work. We had ~ 5 years to get Faith the way we wanted her. I think you have a pretty great cruising ground right there in your back yard. The Bermuda trip was one we looked at... but the Bahamas were a great choice for us. We will be back, and the trip down the coast, and back has been nice too.

Glad you like the site... I can not take credit for it but really enjoy it too.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote