Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 10:39   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 26
Med Marine from South Africa

It's been awhile since I have posted, and continuing our search for a new "water home". The Broncos/Pats game was so bad that I found myself searching the internet and saw a boat I have never heard of. Does anyone know anything of Med Marine out of South Africa? More specifically, a 43' Monte Carlo? Thanks ahead for your continued knowledge and wisdom!
SailingShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 13:22   #2

Re: Med Marine from South Africa

Good evening,

Med Marine in South Africa is long gone. They existed briefly in the late 1980's / early 1990's.

The Monte Carlo 43 started life as the Montevideo 43. It was first built by Fred Scholtz Marine in 1979 / 1980. To the best of my knowledge (memory) it was an in-house design by Fred Scholtz Marine.

Fred Scholtz's fibre glass work used to be very good, the fit out was so-so. After he stopped boatbuilding the moulds ended up somewhere else and a few small changes were made to the styling and interior, hence the new Monte Carlo 43 name. I am going on memory here as it was a long time ago.

I sailed a regatta and offshore race on one of the Montevideo 43's in 1980. It was actually a nice boat, not the fastest of boats, but okay back then.

Quite a few of them were built and they sailed far and wide. I know one sailed from Cape Town to Freemantle along the Southern Ocean in the 1979 Parmelia Race and got there in one piece. A few also circumnavigated and a number of them sailed in the various South Atlantic Races from Cape Town to South America in the 1980's and also did the very tough return passages to Cape Town afterwards. The latter is an extremely good test for any boat, much rougher and tougher than most boats would ever meet.

So to conclude, the design is good, the boat can take the rough stuff. These older South African boats were stronly built with good rigs and generous winches and deck gear etc. But they are now old boats.

Good luck with the boat hunting.

Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 00:10   #3

Hi there,

I was wondering if you have had any luck finding info on Med Marine? I have also been looking at a Monte Carlo 43 but can't seem to find much information.

I have contact A.Lavranos who was kind enough inform me that he was responsible for the Rig and keel and that the boat was initially a Monte Video built by John Roberts Yachts in SA and later by these Med Marine chaps which redesigned the interior and called it a Monte Carlo.

Apparently they are a great boat however I want more information on the construction of the vessel before I decide to by her. Reports indicate that they are constructed with a Balsa Core (both the later model Monte Video and Carlo) and it's near impossible to find out if the balsa core extends below the water line! Which could be a BAD thing!

All said if you have managed to find any information on the builders or on the yacht itself please get in touch with me.

Regards
Flyingtyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 06:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Flyingtyke.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 12:21   #5

Good evening,
I don't think any of the Montevideo's or Monte Carlo 43's would have been built with a balsa core. Those boats would have been solid laminates back in the 1980's.
But checking if a boat has a core is easy enough to do. Tap the hull, pull a skin fitting or be bold and drill a hole.
What is the name of the boat you are looking at? Or it's name at first launch. The South African sailing scene is quite small and sometimes one knows the particular boat.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 18:53   #6

Hi Banjo,

Thanks for the response. The yacht's name is Gemini Contender and she was registered in SA and built in Cape Town.
I have had confirmation from Angelo Lavranos that the earlier models of the Monte Video were built in solid glass, however the latter models of both Monte Video & Monte Carlo built by Jackson Marine and Med Marine were built using a Balsa Core.

I'm not a huge fan of older boats with Balsa Core and I wanted to find out the extent of the core, if it extends below the water line and if any other boats out there of the same model have had any problems with their hull?

Cheers
Old 27-10-2014, 18:57   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 26

Hi Flyingtyke~
No- we never heard any more and exhausted searches (I know,right? With internet the world is tiny!). So we have now become very elated owners of a older Passport 40. Good luck on your search!
SailingShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 19:34   #8

Boat: Montevideo 43'

We bought a Monte Video 3 years ago. She has been around the world twice already. The build is very strong but as has been mentioned the interior is so-so. At least it is very functional. The hull and deck is solid fiberglass and the rigging is simple but strong. She is not a racer but sails very easy and comfortable. The previous owner was a small guy in his late sixties and he circumnavigated with his (even smaller) wife.
We have been doing a lot of work on the boat. Mostly upgrading old systems and some interior and cosmetic work.
So far we are very happy with her.
Downline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 19:41   #9

Hi Downline,

Thanks for the response. What year is your boat and do you know who built it? Most later Monte Videos, as far as I'm aware, have both deck and hull balsa cored.
Old 29-10-2014, 05:40   #10

Boat: Montevideo 43'

Hi Flyingtyke

Our boat was built in 1980 by Scholtz. There is another Monte Video close to mine. It was built in 1982 or 1983. The interior is a lot nicer. The hull and deck is also solid fibreglass with big ribs and stringers. I think these boats were built with the Southern Ocean in mind.
I was a bit concerned when I first looked at the boat. Its got a teak deck that is screwed down. I pulled some roof panels. It is only the odd screw that penetrates the roof slightly. It PO replaced some screws and its mostly them that's doing the penetrating.
Downline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Africa, marine, South Africa