Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2013, 08:11   #46

Boat: A cloud in the sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattf View Post
Oveaar,
Thank you for your reply. I have seen a few Mayflower Mariners for sale on the internet. I am planning on visiting San Diego in 2 weeks to view one and then travel up the coast to view a few other boats. I have bought and sold various things (houses, machinery and equipment, real estate etc) over the years and with each transaction it seems that there are customary and expected behaviors from both buyer and seller. I am trying to get comfortable with that process before I make myself look silly.

That being said, do you or have you owned a Mariner? If so, do you have any impressions of the boat that you would share?

Thanks again for your time and I hope to be able to do the same for some other new guy in the future.

Matt
Hi Matt - wondering if you ever did go look at the Mayflower in SD? If it's the same one I'm thinking, I have looked at this boat a few times over the last couple of years, and ultimately decided to move it off the list for some specific reasons.....not that it's a bad boat. Would like to hear your thoughts on it.....
Ron Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 09:17   #47

Re: Mayflower Stadel or Mariner 48 Owners

Ron Rico,
I have not been out to see the boat. I am trying to line up a few others to view while I am out there. I figured I might as well maximize the trip.

You have piqued my curiosity as to your reasons for removing it from your list. Is there any thing I should be particularly aware of with this specific boat or is it these boats in general?

Thanks,

Matt
Mattf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:35   #48

Is this forum still active?

I'm in the process of buying a Mayflower 48
All that I've read mentions boats in the 80s
Mine's registered in 79
Greg Gallocher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 15:15   #49

Its still active but obviously there was no need for a while because Mayflowers are not so often on the market.
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 17:10   #50

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Maybe not many on the market, but here is one in New Zealand:
Used Mariner Mayflower for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
Old 31-01-2016, 22:29   #51

Hi,

I'm new here. I work for a YACHT SURVEY company. I'm glad I found this forum as maybe you can help me. Recently we had to make a survey on a MAYFLOWER 48 - 1981 in order to determine its current value. I found this boat really interesting.

It is just a curiosity but does anybody know what was the full price of these boats at that time? 1980'ca

Thanks
Tomicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 16:11   #52

Hi we are considering purchasing a 1979 mayflower 48 three stateroom model. Can anyone tell me if all decks were screwed from below or if some were done from above? The decks on the boat look in rough shape and appear to have screw plugs. Also is the deck cored or solid? Thanks.
Quiddity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:45   #53

Boat: Mayflower 48
Send a message via Skype™ to overtheyardarm

Greetings I am a marine surveyor and have been rebuilding a Mayflower 48 for the last 8 years. Every square inch inside and out has been touched to some degree. I have hundreds of photos and videos of the re fitting as well as under sail. If you have any questions about any part of the structural integrity of the boat I can probably answer them.
Every boat has compromises, this one had the least for my sailing demands.
Decks: are teak planks set in a bedding compound and screwed on from under decks. Originally good as they did not require bung plugs and had the fewest number of leaks. over time the teak wears thin and the screw tips portrude through the deck allowing water entry. The good news is that there is no coring anywhere in the deck to decay.
Removal can be somewhat difficult as the teeth has to be pried up and ripped off the screws. The caulking has to be removed and all screws remove from Below or ground off flush. Many of the screw heads are buried underneath fiberglass the hull joint. A couple of layers of fiberglass will be required before new decks are installed or refinished. I am presently looking at marine deck 2000 cork decking as the replacement for a number of reasons.
The three cabin version was probably originally sold as a Stadel 48 which I believe were marketed out of California. I understand that only 42 mayflowers were built and all were Custom Interiors. They also came in the shallow and deep draft versions.
Problem areas: the interior marine plywood used is good quality wood but poor quality adhesive and tends to delaminate.
Mainsheet system it too close behind the helmsman.
Finding a good location to install batteries is surprisingly difficult.
If you have any questions or would like to call me via cell or Skype let me know. I can accomplish a lot more with a call rather than text jousting!
Regards
overtheyardarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 08:02   #54

Yes I did, West system epoxy and white oak base with addition for battery storage.You can contact me directly at mayflowermarinesurveys@gmail.com and I can send you pics. I will also try to post on my photos
Regards
Old 18-03-2019, 18:28   #55

Sloop version of the Stadel 48 for sale in Georgia.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/sloop-mayflower-stadel48-3513515/
SanSailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:49   #56

Hello,
I have recently acquired what appears to be a Mariner 48, based upon the limited drawings on your site.
This vessel was partially submerged for approx. 3 months over ten years ago and has been on the hard since then. External repairs have been completed for the most part, but the interior is in extremely poor condition. The cabin sole structure has completely rotted from stem to stern and all other wood structure will require extensive repair/replacement.
Can you possibly direct me to a source of more detailed construction drawings? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bret Bourg
Bullthrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:47   #57

Hi Bret, I see you are new to this site. Welcome
Short for time tight now and I am just on my way out the door, I can provide volumes of info on the boat. I have replaced most of my sole. No actual drawings but I have lots of pics and I draw up before and after sketches for you.
If you can drop me a line,
My personal e-mail which I monitor regularly is mayflowermarinesurveys@gmail.com
Old 11-11-2019, 08:45   #58

Thank you for the response...going to the e-mail!
Bullthrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 23:45   #59

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C

I bought Sea Sparrow, a Mayflower 48, 2 stateroom version a year ago 2019. The yacht was somewhat neglected. We have spent a year personally refurbishing her. The original owner was Al Schwimer, an American who created Israel Aircraft Industries.
The boat has had at least 6 owners who have invested heavily in this boat.
The teak decks have been removed. The aft mast has been removed. The mainsail is in mast furled. The 3 winches in the cockpit are electrically operated. The generator which was poorly installed above the engine and impossible to be maintained has been removed. Solar panels (780 watts) have been installed.
We refinished the badly scarred solid wood teak and holly floors.
A 2 drawer refrigerator is now installed under the galley island. A large washing machine installed in the galley.
Forward head is composting, a C Head. Rear head a new Jabsco Electric head.
Engine is a refurbished Perkins 4236. The water pump">raw water pump has been rebuilt. Access is awful. The fresh water pump replaced. Heat exchanger was recently replaced. Hoses checked and where necessary replaced. Volvo shaft seal replaced. Vetus bowthruster gearbox replaced. Bow thruster electrics and battery support rebuilt.
Large front loading freezer installed with microcomputer controller. Rear air conditioner reinstalled properly with filter, and better sound insulation and microcomputer controller.
Navigation systems now interconnected.
Steering redone. Lewmar folding wheel with right angle gear pedestal that drives a horizontal chain sprocket that drives cables whose 10 blocks route the cables to the quadrant by going under the floor of the rear cabin.
Extractor fans installed in rear head and galley.
New Dyneema lifelines and lifeline netting. Roll up sun shades from cockpit to stern. Sun shades over front deck.
Water leaks tracked down and fixed.
Second sink added in Corelle counters in galley.
All new upholstery. V berth ceilings removed and new panels installed. V Berth hull insulated with 1 cm closed cell foam and upholstered.
New water heater installed and connected to engine coolant loop.
Engine controls rebuilt. Engine panel rebuilt with a microcomputer based digital generator panel with configurable alarms.
Gas solenoid and propane detector installed. Smoke sensors installed.
Still to do: replace standing rigging, rebuild mast step, touch up mast and boom paint, replace forward and rear hatch lenses. Thinking of cement encapsulation for mast step.

The 2400 Watt inverter has been properly installed with an auto changeover system that switches outlets automatically to the inverter if shore power fails.
A flow meter is installed in the fresh water system so that we can keep track of water usage. A second flowmeter is installed after the filter in the water fill system.
All side ports seals lubricated and replaced where necessary.

Being isolated by Covid-19 in Tel Aviv Marina since March has made the refurbishing difficult in terms of getting materials and parts. We used Banggood, Aliexpress, Amazon and UK online Perkins parts places. Sun shade netting was sourced locally. Now the question is what will happen first? Freedom to cruise the Mediterranean or run out of projects to do on Sea Sparrow.

If anyone wants advice or information regarding what/how we did the above, feel free to contact us.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote