Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 09:44   #1

Maybe a new boat, maybe not...

Hi folks;

New to the forums. Have lurked and sought out the wisdom passively for a while already.

Looking for some more active advice. Still new to sailing and looking to get an entry boat into sailing. Have an opportunity to purchase a 1981 Challenger 7.4 for a very modest price. I went to look at it on the docks and what I saw seems to be okay.

One thing in particular stood out for me. In the cabin, there is a wooden post that is functioning as a mast compression post. As best as I can tell it is a 4x4 and it is planted into the top end of the bilge. The bilge itself looked bone dry. Post looked to be in good shape. I hadn't thought to take photos which is annoying right about now...

Current owner has had the boat for 10 years and the previous owner was the one who installed the post. The idea was to help support the mast/deck. Deck seemed solid to me.

I have the opportunity to go sailing on it and to see the bottom when it's hauled out. Anything with respect to that post that I need to be worried about in your collective wisdom?

Any insight is welcome. Thanks in advance.
Raymundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 17:49   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Maybe a new boat, maybe not...

Raymundo,

Err, uh, you could worry about developing a sailing addiction?

Look for any signs of damage, stains from water intrusion, check the rig for meathoods, make sure the chainplates are intact and properly bedded. Smell it, if it's full of mold, it's going to stink a bit.

Enjoy your daysail.

Ann
Old 15-09-2017, 18:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymundo View Post
Hi folks;

New to the forums. Have lurked and sought out the wisdom passively for a while already.

Looking for some more active advice. Still new to sailing and looking to get an entry boat into sailing. Have an opportunity to purchase a 1981 Challenger 7.4 for a very modest price. I went to look at it on the docks and what I saw seems to be okay.

One thing in particular stood out for me. In the cabin, there is a wooden post that is functioning as a mast compression post. As best as I can tell it is a 4x4 and it is planted into the top end of the bilge. The bilge itself looked bone dry. Post looked to be in good shape. I hadn't thought to take photos which is annoying right about now...

Current owner has had the boat for 10 years and the previous owner was the one who installed the post. The idea was to help support the mast/deck. Deck seemed solid to me.

I have the opportunity to go sailing on it and to see the bottom when it's hauled out. Anything with respect to that post that I need to be worried about in your collective wisdom?

Any insight is welcome. Thanks in advance.
Hi Raymundo,

Perhaps visit Marine Survey 101, Do your own marine survey for some good information on what to look for.

Good luck!

-BC
BlueChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 04:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Raymundo.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat