Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2017, 10:52   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker
Re: Max prop or not

I have a 3 blade on my Catalina 350 and I think it adds closer to a knot in boat speed under power. No drag when sailing is a big plus. I've never noticed any prop walk in reverse as mentioned here and I have sold dozens of boats with these props and driven them all. In theory it pitches all the way to reverse pitch so prop walk should be eliminated but some designs have the prop close to keel or rudder so that could be the issue.

Yes you may have to send it in every 5-10 years and have it rebuilt but you should have a spare fixed blade aboard anyway.

I think it's well worth it.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 10:54   #17

Boat: Little Harbor 58

I finished a repower of my boat last year, and increased the HP so I could motor sail. As a result, I needed to rethink my prop, 3-blade Max-prop. I liked the prop and it's reverse power, same as forward for the most part. The prop-walk is fine with me on a single screw if you plan for it. It feathers very well, and maintenance is simple really. So I cracked the piggy bank and installed the 5-blade Max-prop and love it even more. It backs off when the boat reaches its cruising speed and saves about 15% on fuel efficiency when motoring. When I was underpowered, I noticed a cavitation noise and loss of thrust in heavy seas to weather. The new one has a closer pitch and is very smooth. Reverse is awesome, I can stop my 90K boat in no time. Under sail, it is quiet and no shaft spin at all. Before I kill the engine, I always idle down and go to neutral and then reverse and shut off. It always feathers nicely. I get the bottom cleaned every month, and exercise the running gear weekly in both gears, and I think that helps a lot with any articulated prop you get.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:01   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
The .5 knot gain? Hell, I do all this work to get out there why am I rushing to get back! :-)
I have just the thing for you!

A special deal... I know it LOOKS like a bucket on a rope, but it does so much more! Tie the rope to a strong cleat, and drag the bucket behind your boat when you are sailing, and increase you sailing time by 20%! What a deal! It's cheap too!

(Your results might vary)
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:03   #19

Boat: C&C 37

I have a MaxProp in excellent condition/like new that I am not using - too big for my boat. 1" shaft, 18" blades diameter (I need 15/16"). If it fits your boat?
Looking to swap blades or sell CD$1200 about.
RobertoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightPlan View Post
Before I kill the engine, I always idle down and go to neutral and then reverse and shut off. It always feathers nicely.
I don't know about the 5-blade MaxProp, but your engine shut down procedure would NOT work with the 3-blade.

If the prop is spinning in reverse when the engine stops it does NOT FEATHER. This is explained in the manual, and it is suggested as a feature that allows you to drive a shaft alternator if you wanted such a beast.

If you stop the engine in reverse, and keep it there, how can you be SURE the prop is "always feathered nicely"?

The correct procedure for for shutting dow a MaxProp equiped engine FROM THE MAXPROP MANUAL:

--Power at 2 to 3 knots in forward.
--Kill the engine while still engaged in forward.
--When the engine has stopped, if the shaft is still spinning engage the transmission in reverse to stop the freewheeling

You can check to see if the propeller is feathered or not by taking the engine out of gear. If the propeller is not feathered the shaft will freewheel like with a fixed blade propeller. In that case start the engine again and repeat the three steps. If your propeller has been greased properly it will feather in a fraction of a second as soon as you stop the shaft from freewheeling. Once the prop is feathered, you can either leave the transmission in gear or out of gear, it does not matter. DO NOT kill the engine while in reverse. In this case the blades will be in the reverse position and will not feather. You can actually use this feature to drive a shaft alternator.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:57   #21

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Just bump it and get back to neutral
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 13:02   #22

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39

Ive be been happy with the 3 blade maxprop. It backs down with slight prop walk and rarely free wheels. Putting it in gear (engine off) and then neutral always stops it. Greasing the prop has helped. Curious to compare it to my fixed blade spare prop, so next haulout I will swap and service the maxprop.
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 13:08   #23

The boat I just bought came with a max prop. I've had all kinds of props on all kinds of boats. They all get you from A to B. The reverse on the max prop is nothing short of amazing with close to zero prop walk. In other words the boat goes where you want it to go in reverse not where it wants to go. I haven't noticed anything special about the forward performance. There is also little to no caviation when you shift from reverse to forward, the prop bites right away. I also like a low drag prop for a lot of the light air sailing I do.
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 14:30   #24

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

When reading the article that one of the posters recommended comparing all the props both folding versus feathering...the magazine through in prop to think about....

The Axiom 3b. It seems to be very interesting. Anyone have any remarks pro or con?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 14:35   #25

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

A bit off the topic:

Volvo-Penta Saildrive

Overall we like it and have always used the fixed 2-blade it came with. It backs better than any other auxiliary in my experience. With the prop freewheeling there also seems to be minimal penalty when sailing.

Question: In my collection of spares I have the Volvo folding Saildrive prop, which seems a bit clunky in design. Any opinions / experience with the Volvo folding prop?
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 14:40   #26

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I found them to have almost nil maintenance really, but all mine were new. Zincs and a bit of grease is all.
Mine is probably 20 years old and gets greased when the boat gets hauled. Took it apart this past winter as the shaft came out and looked like new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I will say that having the good reverse thrust probably saved the cost of the Max Prop on at least one boat by avoiding boat damage in close conditions in wind and current.
Amen. The prop will dig a hole in reverse like no other. Extremely useful.

As for prop walk, I've not noticed it being any less than a regular prop. And I like prop walk with a fin keel skag-hung rudder. I can spin the boat clockwise in ~125% of it's length which is pretty useful. Prop walk just requires some forethought and planning in tight spaces.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 15:33   #27

Boat: Nordic 44

When I bough my boat in 1990 it came with a three blade 18" Maxprop. I would not have sprung for one on my own but now I am sold on it.

My boat is a Nordic 44 and I get a one knot advantage by feathering it. I have put on over 130,000 miles since then. Have had the prop serviced twice in all that time. Once by PYI and once by a machine shop in New Zealand. I modified it to allow greasing while assembled - copying that feature from newer Maxprops.

On multi-thousand mile passages a knot makes a big difference. For day sailing and occasional cruising it probably is not worth it.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 15:59   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
Do they make enough of a difference to warrant the large price and extra maintenance I am not in a race any thoughts
No, but a folder at half the price might
Old 26-11-2017, 18:12   #29

Boat: Tartan 40

Agree- get a flexofold: 1/2 the price, no maintenance or grease, better FWD thrust, better sailing performance, less snagging potential under sail, though somewhat less reverse bite. But just give more throttle and it will stop you fine.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 18:26   #30

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post

On multi-thousand mile passages a knot makes a big difference. For day sailing and occasional cruising it probably is not worth it.
+1. Loosing 20+ miles a day is significant. Could be the difference between making your destination or getting hit by the next weather system.