Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2015, 09:33   #46

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Max length = 26 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
People keep suggesting larger boats to the OP but he stated in his opening post that he was limited to 26' for the mooring that he has and the waiting list for a mooring for a larger boat is several years.
I thought the title of the thread was pretty clear.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 09:36   #47

Boat: Pearson 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
It's a lot cheaper because it's a lot less boat. Don't buy it because it's cheaper, buy it because it's better. Don't let length define your dream boat. There are really great boats at every length.
I hear you, but the only thing that really drew me to the Nonsuch was the interior volume. And while that would be nice, I couldn't convince myself that it's worth roughly 2 1/2 times the cost for a boat that isn't the same configuration/rig as "THE ONE" I'd eventually like to have. It'll take me to all the places I'd like to go in the next few years on long weekends and summer vacations.

I renewed my mooring permit last week and found that I'm now #64 on the waiting list for a mooring that will accommodate a boat larger than 26'. When I first put my name on the list 3 or 4 years ago, I was right around #100. So at this rate, it'll be another 6 or 7 years (and then I can upgrade).
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 09:51   #48

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
I hear you, but the only thing that really drew me to the Nonsuch was the interior volume. And while that would be nice, I couldn't convince myself that it's worth roughly 2 1/2 times the cost for a boat that isn't the same configuration/rig as "THE ONE" I'd eventually like to have. It'll take me to all the places I'd like to go in the next few years on long weekends and summer vacations.

I renewed my mooring permit last week and found that I'm now #64 on the waiting list for a mooring that will accommodate a boat larger than 26'. When I first put my name on the list 3 or 4 years ago, I was right around #100. So at this rate, it'll be another 6 or 7 years (and then I can upgrade).
My post was not meant to disparage the Ericson. I just think it's a mistake to settle for a boat that's not what you want because of price if you can afford better. Remember, the price you pay is not the cost of the boat. If you buy boat x for 20k & sell it 5 years later for 15k it has cost you 5 k in depreciation plus maintenance & the time value of money. If you buy boat y for 10k & sell it 5 years later for 5k it has cost you the same amount of money although with the cheaper boat maintenance costs may have been higher.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 10:04   #49

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
People keep suggesting larger boats to the OP but he stated in his opening post that he was limited to 26' for the mooring that he has and the waiting list for a mooring for a larger boat is several years.
Oops !
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 10:07   #50

Boat: Pearson 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
My post was not meant to disparage the Ericson. I just think it's a mistake to settle for a boat that's not what you want because of price if you can afford better. Remember, the price you pay is not the cost of the boat. If you buy boat x for 20k & sell it 5 years later for 15k it has cost you 5 k in depreciation plus maintenance & the time value of money. If you buy boat y for 10k & sell it 5 years later for 5k it has cost you the same amount of money although with the cheaper boat maintenance costs may have been higher.
I understand, and I agree. If my plan was to replace this 26-footer with another Nonsuch (30' or 36') a few years down the road, then it'd be a no-brainer. (Personally, I think the 26 is the most attractive of all the Nonsuch designs). But I know the next one will be a sloop or cutter, so I like the idea of messing with roller furling vs. hank-on, changing/working headsails etc. in preparation for that day when I can move up. The other consideration is that the prevailing winds around here are from the south to southwest which means sailing close-hauled every time I return to the island. From what I've read, the Nonsuch isn't quite as good at that. But leaving the island in one would be a dream!
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 12:06   #51

Quote:
Oops ! How do they mesure the sailboat ? Length of the deck with or without the pulpit & pushpit ? How about a hanging rudder on the transom... Do they include it in the mesured length ?
Old 17-03-2015, 13:41   #52

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runeboat View Post
Not sure if they are readily available where you are, but have you considered either a Folkboat or a Contessa 26?
Folkboats sail very well and look fantastic (if looks are important for you). I haven't been on a contessa but I've heard good things about them, and being based of the Folkies, they should perform quite similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Number 1.

Great sailers but not much for accomodations.
Old 17-03-2015, 13:58   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Im a Catamaran person, and also currently, have a Westerly Centaur. 26 foot.

Given the choices laid before you, and being familiar with some of the vessels, and if I had to get another monohull, it would be with great pride and desire, a Nonsuch.

That settles my choice but its over to you.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 15:36   #54

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
I'll take a look at those. I was considering the newer Catalina 25WK with a trailer. A year ago, there seemed to be pages of them on yachtworld, now there's only a handful (on the east coast).
Nothing wrong with a Catalina but not the quality of Nonsuch. Those wing keels are attracted to mud bottoms and like to stick in the mud like a Bruce anchor. I wouldn't have one if you are in any type of shallow water. A nice fin keeler is good.
Old 17-03-2015, 16:30   #55

Boat: Ericson 27, 1978
Ericson 27 (26.6)

I have an Ericson 27 (26.6 or something like that). Ericson has a lead keel that's fiberglass encased so there are no keel bolts to rust away. The deck to hull bolts are also fiberglass encased. So no worries about those. It's tender at first but holds once it reaches about 15 degrees. I like it; and I like you some day hope to upgrade to a 30' to 35' sailboat with hot water heater, microwave, all the stuff a woman wants.

Here's a pic. I have a close up, but it's on my phone. I'm waiting for a new charger cord
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	99002  
Oceanbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 17:22   #56

Boat: Ericson 27, 1978

I know many people who lie about the length of their boat when they go to a marina. Can you get away with that?

Here's a close up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	99005  
Oceanbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 19:01   #57

Another thumbs up for ericson. I've had mine for about 2 yrs. everything about this boat is so well thought out. Very very well build compared to catalina etc. Also I saw a nonsuch all smashed up by a power boat a yr ago. The hull was so toast-- turns out it is cored and the outer skin is very thin. Once I saw the totaled boat I couldn't help thinking a Bristol would have hardly had a scratch in a similar incident. Incidentally the Ericson 27 pops up in a list of boats suitable for blue water single handing in a book I read about single handing sailing. Surprising for a production boat etc. Just my two biased cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Schrewsburyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 07:29   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Im a Catamaran person, and also currently, have a Westerly Centaur. 26 foot.Given the choices laid before you, and being familiar with some of the vessels, and if I had to get another monohull, it would be with great pride and desire, a Nonsuch...
In one of the first answers, I recommended a 26' Westerly Centaur, 'cause I owned a British built C&N 31 which I took offshore over a 3 year period & I know Brits take the oceans very seriously (To the expense of Napoleon & Hitler ). What is your experience with your Centaur ? Don't you think our friend would learn more with a sloop than with a cat boat ? Thanks for your insight
PS: I'm not crasy about having the weight of that big mast all the way in front, where it will make pitching worse than with a lighter bow... Think about it when you want to get away from the coast with the wind in your nose
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nonsuch_26.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	99025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Centaur_26.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	99026  

Old 18-03-2015, 07:32   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
In one of the first answers, I recommended a 26' Westerly Centaur, 'cause I owned a British built C&N 31 which I took offshore over a 3 year period & I know Brits take the oceans very seriously (To the expense of Napoleon & Hitler ). What is your experience with your Centaur ? Don't you think our friend would learn more with a sloop than with a cat boat ? Thanks for your insight
Centaur is a fine stable and safe seaboat, lots of room inside and fun. I have a soft spot for most Westerlys.

Slow.

Nonsuch has space, speed and good seakeeping qualities. I like the rig, but then Im lazy and hate changing sails.

Id swap my Centaur for a nonsuch on the sail plan alone..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 07:55   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Centaur is a fine stable and safe seaboat, lots of room inside and fun. I have a soft spot for most Westerlys. Slow. Nonsuch has space, speed and good seakeeping qualities. I like the rig, but then Im lazy and hate changing sails. Id swap my Centaur for a nonsuch on the sail plan alone..
I think laziness is a common trait of many a sailboat sailor... I'm a frustrated lazy boy (!) but having known foresails that you had to change in a blow that lasted an hour followed by almost nothing, I consider roller furling a god sent help & slab reefing main fast & easy... So unless you agree to try your dream catboat in a blow over shallow waters, lets say trying to escape East from cape Hatteras in Northerly blow, I'll wait for confirmation by other sailors that cats are also good bad weather sailboats... All this to say, to go up & down the Windward Islands, cat boats are as good as if not better than the charter Catamarans that look every year more like floating pontoon motor sailors & less & less like sailboats
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GoodBlow.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	99034