Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2015, 12:27   #31

Boat: Folkboat
Re: Max length = 26 feet

Not sure if they are readily available where you are, but have you considered either a Folkboat or a Contessa 26?
Folkboats sail very well and look fantastic (if looks are important for you). I haven't been on a contessa but I've heard good things about them, and being based of the Folkies, they should perform quite similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Runeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 13:15   #32
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
There are certainly lots of boats out there that will "do". I guess my main question is whether the Nonsuch would hinder my desire to become a better sailor if I get a bigger boat - that probably will not be a catboat - at some point in the future. It's got the room/features I'd WANT, within the limits of my mooring permit, but will it give me the real sailing experience I'd need - as a stepping stone to a larger boat if/when my number comes up for a bigger mooring permit. I'm not really into racing (per se), but I'd like to know how to fly a spinnaker etc.. Should I just save that for the "next" boat (if and when that time comes)?
Howdy!

I read your question and my answer is offered in a friendly tone of voice.

I think "flying a spinnaker" is something good to know, but seldom done by a single hander (unless skilled as a sailor) or only in benign conditions, and seldom done by most people who are NOT in a race and usually only done with adequate crew to fly it and take it down safely. So, it is one of those "nice to know" things that I don't consider essential for good cruising or average sailing or having fun on a boat for casual sails with friends etc.

Of course this is just one person's opinion and there are "small crew" options such as asymmetrical sails and socks etc.

My main point is that learning how to sail with a spinnaker is something you can learn on another boat (even as crew), without needing to have it on your 26 foot boat.

The Nonsuch catboat would offer you simplicity of rig, good sailing (per the comments from owners above), and with a triple reef rigged mainsail, you can adapt to different wind conditions. For a downwind leg, just let that big sail out!

Put another way, in your situation (limited by 26 feet) IF you want to have a roomy boat for spending the weekend on, then the Nonsuch would be fun, roomy, comfortable, etc. I would not consider the lack of a foresail or spinnaker to be any great loss.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 13:51   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runeboat View Post
Not sure if they are readily available where you are, but have you considered either a Folkboat or a Contessa 26?
Folkboats sail very well and look fantastic (if looks are important for you). I haven't been on a contessa but I've heard good things about them, and being based of the Folkies, they should perform quite similar.

I like the Classic Folkboat because it has such classic styling. They can be pretty in varnished wood or paint.

But when I sailed on one in San Francisco Bay, I was not comfortable (in the cockpit or on the rail or in the low cabin). As I recall the low cabin was cramped (tight, low headroom). And I recall a rather wet ride too with narrow side decks. I am 6' tall, so perhaps other smaller sailors would fit better. I would only want one as a day-sail boat, and if looking for a boat on which to take friends and family, I would look for something else.

There are different versions of the Folkboat, some with a bit higher cabin, some have been "finished" in the interior, but the ones I have seen were all very bare interiors in wood boats. I will post few photos to show some examples.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Folkboat crew on rail.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	97447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Folkboat cockpit.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	97448  

Name:	Folkboat Interior 1.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	97449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Folkboat interior 3 bare.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	97450  

Name:	Folkboat interior bare.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	97451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Folkboat International PLAN.gif
Views:	220
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	97452  

Old 19-02-2015, 14:42   #34

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Get the Nonsuch!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 16:53   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
but will it give me the real sailing experience I'd need - as a stepping stone to a larger boat if/when my number comes up for a bigger mooring permit. I'm not really into racing (per se), but I'd like to know how to fly a spinnaker etc.. Should I just save that for the "next" boat (if and when that time comes)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy!

I think "flying a spinnaker" is something good to know, but seldom done by a single hander (unless skilled as a sailor) or only in benign conditions, and seldom done by most people who are NOT in a race and usually only done with adequate crew to fly it and take it down safely. So, it is one of those "nice to know" things that I don't consider essential for good cruising or average sailing or having fun on a boat for casual sails with friends etc.
Relax Lah! was my starter boat. I learned to do all those things and maintain it over the last 8 years.

In reading between the lines I suspect you want to "enjoy" sailing vs. work at it.

I learned that my next boat will have an asym on a furler. I can't count on having sufficient crew to fly a spinnaker and pole in all conditions. Yes single handers fly a spinnaker and I have done it two up with Otto helping. In any sort of wind it could go south quick.

So get any boat under 26 feet that you like to be on - look for cabin features and make sure it has most "big boat" stuff like diesel engine, electrical systems, heads, water systems - this is the stuff you need to learn - maintaining big boat systems long term.

It will also teach you how to sail.

While classics are nice and the heavier displacement is more "big boat" like I would consider a production plastic boat for the sole reason that all the hardware on the boat should be available. Some classic boats have custom rigging that is like that rare metal unobtanium.

Don't overthink it, don't get a project boat but don't spend a bomb on it.

After a 2 1/2 year refit on my boat I can tell you sailing is more fun than fixing.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:47   #36

Boat: Ericson 34

I flew a spinnaker alone last summer on Lake Michigan because 1) the wind was light 2) I had a spinnaker "sock" (Most excellent contraption!) & 3) an Autohelm 4000 ... Otherwise, I agree, if the wind starts to increase, you need somebody holding the spinnaker sheet all the time, ready to let go in case a strong gust starts to luff the boat regardless of your tiller action
My "ideal" cruising sailboat would have one or two spinnaker poles always stored alongside the mast, ready to be used. On long downwind passages (Across the Pacific or the Atlantic, on the Trades routes) I used them with two genoas & no mainsail
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SpiPoleOnMast.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	97498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanna-headsails.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	97500  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 10:54   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I can't count on having sufficient crew to fly a spinnaker and pole in all conditions. Yes single handers fly a spinnaker and I have done it two up with Otto helping. In any sort of wind it could go south quick.
My comments are for the OP or anyone who may not yet have experience with spinnakers.

I have seen many boats flying spinnakers, with full race crew, "go south" with disastrous results. Spinnakers are the one sail, in my opinion, that have the most potential to cause significant damage to a boat, if the boat is overpowered (too much wind, not proper control on the spinnaker).

Controlling the spinnaker is the challenge.

In light winds, this can be accomplished with a small crew who is attentive. As many sailors only sail in light to moderate winds, this can be the common experience. Flying the spinnaker can be beautiful and fun and nothing beats seeing a bunch of boats with colorful spinnakers flying. So, I don't doubt there are many sailors who think there is "nothing to it" to use a spinnaker, especially if they have a full crew on their boat.

In gusty winds or strong winds, the element of risk of broach increases greatly.

In some cases a spinnaker can become "uncontrollable" and it requires quick responses from the crew to maintain control by quick adjustment of the spinnaker sheet and guy. Quick responses and coordinated effort by an experienced crew is the key. This usually means one person on the helm, one person on the guy, and one person on the sheet. Each has a role and each should be aware of what is happening to the boat and sails and wind. If you are just a couple on a boat, I think this becomes a problem, especially if the wind is gusting, requiring quick adjustments.

If the spinnaker is allowed to get out of control, the boat is very likely to begin rolling to the point of a broach.

Broaches are NO fun.
They happen very quickly, and as the boat rolls into the broach the crew is usually left clinging to anything they can to stay on the boat, as the deck will be perpendicular (vertical) to the water as the mast goes down to the water's surface (spreaders in the water).

Risk?
I have seen crew thrown off a boat, and in one case I witnessed, this led to two very skilled sailors dying.

If the broach is to leeward, the spinnaker is likely going to go in the water until the sails are depowered.

What's worse?
If the broach occurs on a windward "roll" there is a chance the mainsail will crash gybe and the boom will cross the boat with possible severe damage. This is very risky and dangerous to crew and boat.

Name:	Spinnaker broach 1.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	97524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spinnaker wreck 2.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	97525  

Name:	Spinnaker broach 2.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	97526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spinnaker broach 4.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	97527  

Name:	Spinnaker Pitchpole.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	97528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spinnaker wreck 1.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	97529  

Old 20-02-2015, 11:17   #38

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Pick up a Grampian 26 for next to no money and go have fun. 6' head room, decent interior space, sails well, and is about as forgiving a boat as a novice can sail. If you're already looking into a larger mooring why spend the $$$ for something you don't plan on keeping for long? You'll find them on Craigslist for between 1500$ and 3000$ in the area.

Sent from my C6730 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 00:06   #39

Boat: Ericson 27, 1978

My two cents. Get a hunter. You can pick up a 30 ft hunter made after 2000 for 35000-50000. Your wife will go with you: hot water that's pressurized, microwave, ac, fridge, shower. Even big older boats no matter how spacious don't offer what a woman wants.
Anything else, e.g. My Ericson 27 will be for you alone not you plural.

Oceanbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 07:05   #40

Boat: Pearson 26

Leaning toward the Ericson now for the following reasons:

1) Half the money
2) Whatever I get, isn't the "dream boat"; it's a stepping stone
3) Next boat after this will likely be a larger sloop, so I'll have better practice on a smaller sloop than on a catboat with a wishbone rig.
4) The Ericson has all the same systems and necessary features that the Nonsuch has.

Planning to go look at a couple of Ericsons next week (if I can get away).
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 07:24   #41

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbrew View Post
My two cents. Get a hunter. You can pick up a 30 ft hunter made after 2000 for 35000-50000. Your wife will go with you: hot water that's pressurized, microwave, ac, fridge, shower. Even big older boats no matter how spacious don't offer what a woman wants.
Anything else, e.g. My Ericson 27 will be for you alone not you plural.

Kind of missed the point of the thread.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 07:31   #42

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Leaning toward the Ericson now for the following reasons:

1) Half the money
2) Whatever I get, isn't the "dream boat"; it's a stepping stone
3) Next boat after this will likely be a larger sloop, so I'll have better practice on a smaller sloop than on a catboat with a wishbone rig.
4) The Ericson has all the same systems and necessary features that the Nonsuch has.

Planning to go look at a couple of Ericsons next week (if I can get away).
It's a lot cheaper because it's a lot less boat. Don't buy it because it's cheaper, buy it because it's better. Don't let length define your dream boat. There are really great boats at every length.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 07:35   #43

Boat: Cape Dory 33

A Bristol 24 would be a great boat for your purposes. They are very stable, have standing headroom if you are both under 6', the most comfortable v-berth I've ever seen in a boat that size, and can usually be had for not too much money. And it's a sloop.
Old 17-03-2015, 08:44   #44

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Leaning toward the Ericson now for the following reasons: 1) Half the money 2) Whatever I get, isn't the "dream boat"; it's a stepping stone 3) Next boat after this will likely be a larger sloop, so I'll have better practice on a smaller sloop than on a catboat with a wishbone rig. 4) The Ericson has all the same systems and necessary features that the Nonsuch has...
I just purchased a fresh water Ericson 34 on lake Michigan last summer, & I say "Go for it" Ericsons are very well built & I think that for $20 or 25K you could even get a 28, 29 or 30 footer. It took me $75 and 5 & 1/2 days to motor mine from Buffalo NY to the Hudson river via the Erie Canal... It's worth every penny to have a fresh water sailboat

1988 Ericson 28 -2 sailboat for sale in New Jersey
1985 Ericson 30 Plus sailboat for sale in New Jersey
or a fresh water diesel equiped
1979 Ericson e29 sailboat for sale in Michigan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Erie_Canal.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	98989  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 08:59   #45

Boat: Cape Dory 33

People keep suggesting larger boats to the OP but he stated in his opening post that he was limited to 26' for the mooring that he has and the waiting list for a mooring for a larger boat is several years.