Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 06:39   #1

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Masthead Sheave on LF38

Does anyone know where I can find the masthead sheaves for my lf38. The current set up has two sheaves, one on each side of the forestay. One is used for the spinnaker and the other is used for the head sail. I notice that there is a space between them that can accept another sheave. I would like to add that one in so that the head sail is lifted from the center, leaving me the two outer sheaves for the spinnaker. My boat uses the wire/rope halyards thus the sheave needs to be able to accommodate both.

Any information our suppliers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
LF38
Winnipeg
Landfall 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 07:34   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Masthead Sheave on LF38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landfall 38 View Post
Does anyone know where I can find the masthead sheaves for my lf38. The current set up has two sheaves, one on each side of the forestay. One is used for the spinnaker and the other is used for the head sail. I notice that there is a space between them that can accept another sheave. I would like to add that one in so that the head sail is lifted from the center, leaving me the two outer sheaves for the spinnaker. My boat uses the wire/rope halyards thus the sheave needs to be able to accommodate both.

Any information our suppliers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
LF38
Winnipeg
Jason--

If you know the sheave diameters, widths and pin sizes, you can contact Garhaurer Marine. They have excellent sheaves at very reasonable prices. You might also try RigRite.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 08:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

For any sheave work I always go to ZephyrWorks. It's all they do, and at really good prices. They have a lot of sizes available off the shelf, but their custom work isn't bad either (abt $35 for new 2" sheaves).

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 10:30   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try and remove the existing ones to get exact measurements. I hope they can custom make double stepped sheaves that can accommodate both wire and rope. I will make some calls and find out

Thanks again
Old 17-03-2016, 11:54   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I don't think you can use wire on Delrin sheaves but I may be mistaken. Frankly it has been so long since I have seen a wire halyard I can't envision it's going to be easy to find.

I am curious why you would still use them? Litterly everyone I know who ever had wire halyards had switched to rope.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 12:33   #6

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33

If you figure out the exact manufacturer and section for your mast you can usually find the exact hardware used when new and no retrofitting.
The Rig Rite web site has some handy charts for a number of well known brands.
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 13:48   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you can't find one that's made specifically for spliced, wire to rope halyards, there are a couple of other options.
- One would be to get a couple of them, custom turned on a lathe, & then anodized.
- And 2, you can run such a halyard on a metal sheave with a rope profile. It'll just eat up the finish on the sheave/scratch it up a lot. So that you won't be able to leave the rope on the sheave when it's under load. As it'll chew it up/cause it's early demise.

Though you could add some extra jacket onto the halyard's cover, if the sheave is wide enough to accept it. Say, something like a Spectra chafe sleeve.
But even with that, it's far from ideal.

Run through the "yellow pages" of hardware manufacturers, & used gear chandleries, & you'll find what you need, given some phone calls. Especially as non US based firms tend to carry some of the older style gear. As guys keep their gear & boats running, where as in the US, things just get replaced with new.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 15:38   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

A Third, & probably the best option, which just came to mind, is this.
Since it sounds as if you're adding a 3rd (center) halyard, exclusively for the jib anyway. Then why not just get a sheave designed for a purely rope halyard, & hoist your jib on such?

That way, you simplify your rigging. And also, can skip all of this searching for an old school sheave. Plus, in the long run, an all rope halyard is a better bet anyway. It'll last longer, it's lower stretch, & it won't abrade; your rigging, your sheaves, nor tear your sails, should they happen to "kiss" it.

Still, if you're stuck on the idea of wire/rope sheaves, Ronstan, I think, still makes some http://www.ronstan.us/marine5/produc...op.asp#sheaves

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 20:17   #9

A Third, & probably the best option, which just came to mind, is this.
Since it sounds as if you're adding a 3rd (center) halyard, exclusively for the jib anyway. Then why not just get a sheave designed for a purely rope halyard, & hoist your jib on such?

That way, you simplify your rigging. And also, can skip all of this searching for an old school sheave. Plus, in the long run, an all rope halyard is a better bet anyway. It'll last longer, it's lower stretch, & it won't abrade; your rigging, your sheaves, nor tear your sails, should they happen to "kiss" it.

Thanks everyone for your help, I definitely have a direction for fixing this problem. I like uncivilized's suggestion of making the jib halyard a rope only and going with a rope sheave. Sometimes all it takes to fix a problem is to have someone else look at it. Glad to be part of such a great community.

Regards,
Jason
Old 18-03-2016, 09:18   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Or you could just mount a block, externally, on the masthead for the spinnaker. That's how my spinnaker is run. There's already two ~1/2" holes drilled in the fwd edge of the masthead unit.

A block is relatively cheap and easy to maintain/replace, and my guess is another advantage is that they're usually very low friction compared to the friction of a sheave - and low friction is good for quickly hoisting a spinnaker. The only downside is you may not want to use that halyard for climbing the mast then; but you still have your main halyard for that. (or the jib halyard on the sheave, but with a furling jib I generally don't use that because it'd require dropping the genoa).
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 16:04   #11

If these are your dimensions I have an OEM sheave. It is the spare forward sheave from our mast and we just bought new set for rope only from Zephyrwerks - The Sheave Factory. Klacko Spars in Oakville 905-825-0015(they used to make the C&C masts) quoted $120CDN each in original machined anodized aluminum with 6 week turn around. We opted for full set from Zephyr. The never used one is on the right in the photos.

Halyard diameter - 3/8" all rope no wire
W 9/16"
OD 3-7/16"
ID 7/16"
Depth 1/4" to bottom of wire groove in original sheave
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 05:10   #12

Try holland marine in toronto, bought out all the old C&C stock. Pretty much the go to guys for older C&C stuff. Great selection of harder to find hardware in the catalog.

Holland Marine Products
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast