Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 10:41   #1

Boat: MARTZCRAFT 35 'JET LAG'
Martzcraft 35

Any info on MARTZCRAFT 35 or Roberts 35 (same design but Brent Martz built a lot of them in Australia so they were called Martzcraft). I am very close to buying one to cruise away my retirement.
Garry
drinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 21:37   #2

People I've met who owned them, love them. Brent's new boat is a beauty too: Martz Cruising Yachts

Similar boats to the Martz 35 you could also look at are the Jarkan 40 (or 39?) and the Mottle 35, which is an Adams design.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 19:39   #3

Hi Garry,
We had a Martzcraft 35 for a few years, lived aboard and cruised up and down the east coast from Sydney. It was a great boat, very comfortable and reliable. More of a cruiser than a racer, but all of our sailing was short handed and she was never hard to handle in any weather we encountered.

I'm not aware of any major problems with the boats. The only thing to look out for is the mast step, which is a steel beam across the bilge. On our boat this was undersized and bent, and in fact flexed depending on point of sail... the compression post passing through the galley bench was a handy reference. We replaced it with a sturdier version and had no problems. We had the cutter rig, another ketch rigged boat had the same issue. When we sold the boat there was some minor osmosis, nothing unexpected for a boat of that age.

It's a good size boat to go cruising on, big enough to carry a lot of gear and have good space inside but still easy to handle.
Sean
sean_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 22:52   #4

Until recently I had a Jarkan 35, very similar to the Martzcraft, probably sails a bit better but I would have bought either at the time.

Cheers

Ian
Boatweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 20:11   #5

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
We Looked at a lot of Martz 35's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
People I've met who owned them, love them. Brent's new boat is a beauty too: Martz Cruising Yachts

Similar boats to the Martz 35 you could also look at are the Jarkan 40 (or 39?) and the Mottle 35, which is an Adams design.
We looked at a lot & were close to buying one, when we stumbled upon the SouthCoast 36 (Roberts design) lots more room for extended cruising but I think the Martz 35 would probally sail better. My 2 cents worth.

Cheers,

Glenn,

http://groups.msn.com/Southcoast36YachtOwners
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 22:16   #6

Thanks for the answers everyone. The question is dead as I am now the proud owner a Martzcraft 35. A bit of practice this year and next year i'm offfffff.
Drinky
Old 09-02-2008, 22:52   #7

Hi Drinky,

Which 1 did you buy? We actually flew up to Brisbane & looked at a nice one in Manly.

Cheers,

Glenn

Southcoast 36 Yacht Owners
Old 10-02-2008, 10:44   #8

Glenn, I looked at a ketch in Manly but it needed a bit of work to bring it up to scratch. Then I found one in Moolooaba which was in near perfect condition and well looked after by the live aboard owners for 3 years. It was so good I just couldn't resist.
Drinky
Old 21-07-2008, 04:05   #9

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to Eco Voyager Send a message via Skype™ to Eco Voyager
I am looking at buying a Martzcraft too!

Hiya, I am 55, single and looking at buying a Martzcraft 35, Jarkan 10.5 or similar like an Adams 37 i am looking at all about the same rice. The Adams is steel!

Firstly how are you finding the Martzcraft? Would you being willing to endure some real bad weather in it if unavoidable? I she easy to sail like could I sail one solo do you think given the right skill base of course.

I found most of the Jarkans leak and have mildew in them is this fixable. I am considering a Martzcraft at hervey Bay, anyone know this one as it does have some issues?? Would te Jarkan be a better heavy weather boat or merely a better sailing boat. What are the drafts of each please - anyone?

What do you guys think about the solidarity of steel overgrp for reef waters as aginst the trade off in increased maintenance? Any thoughts here?

I am planning to go offshore passaging to anywhere after spending 6 onths last year on others boats doing nearly 3000 nm's. I have owned boats all my life and think I am up to it now. Well it s now or never anyway.
Cheers, Colin.
Eco Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 04:42   #10

Colin, the Martzcraft is a very well built boat with the largest aft cabin I saw during my search for a boat. It handles like a dream, balance is incredible and I am going to solo it some of the time with no worries. Some of them have circumnavigated with no problems. You can't have mine cause I love her.
Garry
Old 22-07-2008, 00:29   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Eco Voyager Send a message via Skype™ to Eco Voyager
Thanks Gary, your comments are very reassuring. Perhaps we will see each other out there some day alone and enjoying our boats with a big smile on our faces, not to mention a fair amount of salt on them too!

Cheers, Colin
Old 23-08-2008, 16:07   #12

Boat: Austral 30 Imagine
marztcraft 35 to Drinky

Hello Drinky, I'm looking to buy a Marztcraft 35 and would love to have a chat to you about the boat. Would you be king enough to send me you mobile number so I can call you. Please send to fleetwooddigital@bigpond.com Thanks.
fleetwood56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 20:22   #13

Hi Drinky

Garry,

Hey I too would welcome a chat over the phone with you in more detail about the Martzcraft. I am now looking at one overseas located in an area I am keen to cruise in any way. Yes, I am aware of the costs of getting her back here. Am more interested in whether she is the right boat for the job or not.

Also I am in communication with a fellow in Sth Aust and we may end up sailing together around Tassie next summer on his Martzcraft. He is trying to steer me towards a South Coast 36 saying it is a heavier boat and therefore better in a seaway. Makes me think the Martzcraft might be a bit boisterous in big confused seas.

My email address is: eos2voyage at hotmail dot com if you want to email me I can send you my mobile number or home phone number.

Cheers and happy sailing,
from
Colin
Old 23-08-2008, 20:41   #14

[QUOTE=eos2voyage;197373]Garry,
He is trying to steer me towards a South Coast 36 saying it is a heavier boat and therefore better in a seaway.

We have a South Coast 36, and they are a great sea boat, with a little more room, but by far the best feature is the hard dodger, its great for hot or foul weather, check out the owners site link below.(I think we are a bit biased)

Cheers,

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 23-08-2008, 22:50   #15

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
If you want a good boat!

Hi, I almost built a Martzcraft once, I was next on the list, as you took your place in the que to build one at botany or somewhere near, but I went sailing in one in a race mind you with the owner, wind was light, drifted across the line and 2 hrs later still there. Everyone else had a race. So some time later not believing it was so slow I went again! Same thing. My name came off the list pretty quick as I'd had a dog in a compass 29 and i certainly didn't want another.So I ended up building a Duncanson 37 ketch in Adelaide. What a mighty boat that was, A real sailors boat, good turn of speed, forgiving and would take anything the ocean could dish out. Two really rough Sydney -Hobarts, the cruise back, just magic!Eight years of cruising.The aft cabin was small, but room was given to the main cabin where one needs it most, after all what else do you need huge aft cabin for. One doesn't spend a lot of time in there. If you still want a Martzcraft, and you don't mind drifting around,there were so many built in backyards. check the pywood decks for rot. It's quite common, and as mentioned osmosis. The South Coast 36's were all built in the 'Gong by a great builder who did put a good boat together, yes some were fitted out at home with variaing results, but the shell was a good start for those. i hope this may help some who may like to get into the next port a little quicker. natureboy
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote