Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 15:04   #91
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparrotwind View Post
I just bought the 42' Maple Leaf (Portland,OR) for $70K -
Congratulations!!!!! Good luck with it!

mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 21:23   #92

Boat: Maple Leaf 42 - WINDFALL
Maple Leaf

It's all over but crying...and a few payments too! Ha ha
We are excited to get the boat ready, we plan on taking off in 31 months! Fun!
Aparrotwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 20:55   #93

Congratulations! I assumed you purchased "Enrichment" from the Sailing Life. You got a good deal and should be happy with it. You should refurbish that really cool windlass...we were going to keep that one on as a backup..then install an electric one directly behind it. We brought our boat down from Blaine, WA-to our home port of Newport, Or (in December!) Me and 3 of my pals left Blaine and had a wonderful sail out the Strait of Juan de Fuca w/ 15-25 kt SE winds...We ran wing on wing about 81/2 kts. to Neah Bay. Neah BAy is very interesting town. First of all, its a dry town. Secondly, it is a reservation. Now, my friends and I, are not easily intimidated...well traveled and of the strong fisherman sort. We were definitely intimidated in Neah Bay...Blankly, we couldn't wait to get the "F" outta there! The forecast was for 15-25 knts S Easterly...switching to South 25-30kts..then shortly after midnight...switching to Westerly 15-20. Then, the following morning switching to NWesterly 15-25......Our plan was to wait for the west winds..get out the Straight..then sail South...BUT @ around 2:00 in the afternoon..we thought we'd get the hell outta town..and just buck into it for a few hours. They called for 15-25 kts South...well everything went according to plaln until....the 15-25 changed to 45-60 knots South right on our nose!!!! Now, we know, as locals of the Pacific NW,,,that the last place u want to be on earth, is in the Pacific NW, in the dead of winter, in a Southerly...right off of Cape Flattery. So, here we were in the Pacific NW, off of Cape Flattery..in a 60 kt southerly! Then we started sinking. The center board clamp, which was installed w/ improper sized bolts, malfunctioned. One of these unfitting bolts, sheared off and was squirting water into the bilge. Just when I was about to turn around and put the boat up for sale..and consider a motor home...the wind switched West 15-20. UNBELIEVABLE! The bilge was keeping up w/ the leak..we shook out our triple reefed main, and continued sailing South. The next morning the wind shifted as forecasted to NW 15-25. We sailed with a poled out Genoa...for about 20 hrs....and then lost most of our wind, and ended up motoring the rest of the way to Newport. The whole trip took us about 3 days...or 36 hrs from Cape Flattery. The Mapleleaf 42 footer is an outstanding sea going vessel. What it lacks in speed in makes up in stabillity. With the centerboard down (which makes a HUGE difference) I feel confident that she can take anything the ocean might throw at her.
Old 04-01-2008, 22:18   #94

Maple Leaf 42

Hey there,

Yes we purchased the Enrichment - soon to be "WINDFALL". It's a great boat and we actually sign papers next week. Just got the insurance today!
Sounds like you've had a very exciting few days! WOW! I know we will consider that motorhome as we travel to Costa Rica in 31 months!! We are attending the Portland and Seattle boat shows to begin purchasing all the "goodies" (electronics, watermaker, etc...).
I had to buy a couple batteries to get the motor and genset started, the owner had the battery charger hooked up incorrectly and fried ALL 8 batteries! (bad for him, good for us!)
We will install the new electronics within the month, remodel the engine room and do a full haulout with bottom paint in April. (more fun!) Ha Ha
Are you heading to Mexico with wife and kids? My wife and I met you when you were taking notes in the Enrichment and considering to buy it.
We are anxious (as I know you know what we mean).

Sam & Nancy
Old 04-01-2008, 22:26   #95

Wish he would have come down to 70k when I was trying to buy her! You got a good deal for shure. We paid 105k for ours and she still needs updated. Over all their great boats though. You should concider the rudder mod. Our boat turns on a dime and had no problem steering in 60kt winds.
Old 04-01-2008, 22:32   #96

Maple Leaf 42

Hey Esk -
I cant tell too much from your pic of the upgrade, do you have close up shots, what was done and what cost?

Sam & Nancy
Old 04-01-2008, 22:42   #97

Try clicking on the pic. Basicly enlarg the rudder 3sq ft and conect it with a bearing to the keel with a glassed in board. I figured the cost would be between 5-8k. Well worth it.
Old 07-01-2008, 21:33   #98

Are you going to repower?
Old 08-01-2008, 19:34   #99

No the motor is in great shape, the exhaust hose came loose (huge leak into the engine room!), but we are going to totally gut the engine room this April and do a complete remodel of it. We are adding new filter system with all new lines and hoses, house batteries, and sound proofing. We are pulling the motor and overhauling the starter, alternator, and water pump. We should have the keys this weekend! My wife already has a "Honey-do" list for me! Ha Ha I've got an "I'll get to that list later list of my own" Ha Ha We met a person at the Portland Boat Show who sailed around the world on a 42' Maple Leaf who said the rudder is just fine and not to modify it. They said they LOVED the Maple Leaf and said it is a "tough ol' boat".
I'm getting quotes on the electronics, filter system, and other misc items right now. ...more fun and $$$$$ But, we are happy with that and anxious to get the work started.
How's your new boat, are you in Newport? I go diving along the jetties there for the lingcod and unfortunate sea critters that swim in front of my speargun! Ha
Old 10-01-2008, 21:27   #100

Hey Esk !!

I was over at Newport for business...and took a quick look for a new boat in the harbor....Where are you!! Ha
We should get the keys tomorrow...we are EXCITED! Ha Just orderd 6 new AGM batteries and Raycor filter system ($$$$) Whew! (boat dollars!)
Old 11-01-2008, 13:12   #101

Hey, we were at the boat show on wendsday pricing stuff. Steeping Stone is at the southbeach marina A64. Next time you are in town give us a call 541-444-1160.
Old 13-01-2008, 20:10   #102

Hey Esk

I'll defiantly give you a call next time I'm in Newport. We are in the "cleaning" mode of the boat..packing out trash, changing fluids, installing new AGM batteries, etc... work..work...work...but, it is fun too.
The fluid samples came back...great! So, maybe next weekend we will be out sailing on the Columbia River. My wife has been scrubbing her fingers to the bone, and my new cologne smells a lot like Diesel! Ha Ha
Finding all good stuff as we explore the boat. Hows your boat coming along, what new projects do you have planned? What motor does your boat have in it? Do you have a water maker? Genset? How much fuel does your boat carry?
Old 14-01-2008, 00:21   #103

why an offer 92k , its priced at 79
sailingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 08:18   #104
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Just a security note guys - may want to keep your phone number and other personal information in private messages.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 01:00   #105

Boat: 28ft Newport...Trouble Maker
I just wanted to say Hi....The Maple Leaf boat from Portland was what I fell in love with, all I talked about, how I got myself into this forum.

I'm done crying over not getting her. And now want to say...good luck with her and give her lots of love..... I Knew she was a good boat....(I'm one of those people who thinks they can feel things are right or wrong) but it wasn't the right time to sell our Big house and live my dream.....Oh well.

Love to take a ride on her someday....I'm a fellow Portland Sailer!
Lesmusic1 is offline   Reply With Quote