Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2010, 17:30   #226

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
So when on a Stbd tach (closehaul) do you have a seat belt? I see you have a handhold.

I've put in a pole between the deck and overhead next to the throne.
Old 13-12-2010, 17:35   #227

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
It isn't too bad for me, but for those with shorter legs, it can be an issue. The ugly, plastic hand hold you can see is on the forward side. I'd like to put a hand hold on the aft side too, so you can fully brace yourself, but Lisa wants a sliding door which is at odds with that plan (and she will, no doubt, get her way).
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 17:55   #228

Mine's facing forward and in worse shape then your first picture. No enclosure, just set up in the sail loft forward of the main bulkhead with a curtain. Still lots to do on the interior of my boat.

Have you considered an accordion type of door? It works like a slider but takes up less space. Could be plastic or wood.
Old 13-12-2010, 19:37   #229

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Nice work, Patrick... looking forward to seeing it in person soon.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Church Point NSW, Oz (waiting for a new furler upper swivel and a new sacrificial cover on the stays'l... soon, they say (ho,ho)).
Old 15-12-2010, 18:44   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Nice work, Patrick... looking forward to seeing it in person soon.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann
We will keep a couple of coldies in the eski in readiness (or a glass of sav blanc, if you prefer.

Back on topic: The rigger is fitting our new furler as I type this. An anchor winch and a furler in the same year. Surely we must get our "real cruisers" card soon?
Old 15-12-2010, 19:15   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
We will keep a couple of coldies in the eski in readiness (or a glass of sav blanc, if you prefer.

Back on topic: The rigger is fitting our new furler as I type this. An anchor winch and a furler in the same year. Surely we must get our "real cruisers" card soon?
Naahhh, mate,

To get your card you must demonstrate that you can sail from Hobart to Cygnet without trimming a sail or shouting "starboard" at anyone!

Cheers,

J&A
Old 15-12-2010, 20:13   #232
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
I wait in suspense for the outcome of this challenge
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 16:07   #233

We went out and did a race on Saturday. Like a proper race, with real racing boats and spinnakers and the like. It was blowing 25-30 at the start, and got up to about 40-45 during the race - I saw one gust of 52 knots (apparent). Not taking pleasure in the misfortune of others, but it was interesting to watch boats broaching and chinese-jibing and falling over and breaking gear while Insatiable just plouhed on relatively happily. We downsized sails to 2 reefs and a #4 jib and just kept on ploughing along. We ended up 3rd (AMS and 2nd PHS) in our division... of course this was a result of the fact that only 3 boats in our division made it to the finish. But our crew came away with big smiles on their faces, having learned lots and had a great day.
Old 07-04-2011, 21:13   #234

Re: Making Ex-Racer My Cruiser . . . Am I Mad ?

So, yesterday we took delivery of a brand new headsail to suit our shiny new Furlex furler. Yay!

As in all things, this sail is something of a compromise: In this case the compromise is between performance, longevity and price. We have gone for a cruising laminate, specifically Dimension Polyant's Hydranet (the radial, not the cross-cut), in mostly 7oz, but 8oz in the high load areas.

The sail is about 44'4" in the luff, 41'6" in the leech and 20' in the foot, giving an area of approximately 387 square feet / 132% overlap... so, basically, a #2 sized genoa for our boat. It is cut high enough so that on the furler, we shouldn't need to skirt it at all.

We are pretty keen to get out and have a sail.. probably this evening! Woo hoo.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:54   #235

Congrats on the new sail Weyalan. Nothing goes upwind like money!
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:37   #236

Boat: Hinckely, H-49

I'm recent to sailing and getting ready to close on my own sailboat. When I started looking I made a list of what I wanted in a boat and then looked for the make and model that met that criteria. Livability, ICW friendly which included draft and mast height, along with accommodations and creature comforts for friends and family were some of the considerations. I also didn't want a project boat but one I could take sailing without months or years of preparation.

Don't be afraid to look at a boat with an asking price that is higher than your budget and give a low ball offer. You might just find you can meet all your needs and be able to go sailing instead of taking on a long drawn out refit.

Do you want to go sailing or work on a boat?
Il Pescatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:56   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Pescatori View Post
I'm recent to sailing and getting ready to close on my own sailboat. When I started looking I made a list of what I wanted in a boat and then looked for the make and model that met that criteria. Livability, ICW friendly which included draft and mast height, along with accommodations and creature comforts for friends and family were some of the considerations. I also didn't want a project boat but one I could take sailing without months or years of preparation.

Don't be afraid to look at a boat with an asking price that is higher than your budget and give a low ball offer. You might just find you can meet all your needs and be able to go sailing instead of taking on a long drawn out refit.

Do you want to go sailing or work on a boat?
Some of us like to do both!

There is no gratification like sailing ones own handy work. I re- built my boat to satisfy my own needs and she serves me well. Plus, I know every wire, screw, bolt and nut and can trust my life on it!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:19   #238

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
So, yesterday we took delivery of a brand new headsail to suit our shiny new Furlex furler. We have gone for a cruising laminate, specifically Dimension Polyant's Hydranet (the radial, not the cross-cut).
Congratulations on the choice of Hydranet - long been my intention to end up with a suit of sails from this material.

However - this material is a weave not a laminate

Quote:
DIMENSION-POLYANT adds a new Hydra Net® radial range of styles for radial constructed sails to the successful line of Hydra Net® fabrics. With its special weave and finish Hydra Net® radial features unsurpassed strength and longevity, exceeding the specifications of other wovens and many laminates.

Hydra Net® radial is constructed with an extremely high share of Dyneema® fibers in the warp direction. Hydra Net® radial is an extremely tight weave achieving superior shape retention along with a soft hand. Design targets that were possible with laminates only can now be put into practice with Hydra Net® radial. The Hydra Net® radial range of fabrics comprises several styles that can be combined for step-up constructions
Old 08-04-2011, 08:19   #239

Boat: Hinckely, H-49

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Some of us like to do both!

There is no gratification like sailing ones own handy work. I re- built my boat to satisfy my own needs and she serves me well. Plus, I know every wire, screw, bolt and nut and can trust my life on it!
I don't disagree. I have lots of "spaghetti" made of wire and hoses to clean up and have every intent of making her my own. I plan to sail at least 50% of the time and clean her up in between. I hope to have her ready to cross the pond in 3 years 2 months 18 days... but who's counting
Il Pescatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 16:32   #240

Quote:
So, yesterday we took delivery of a brand new headsail to suit our shiny new Furlex furler. Yay!

As in all things, this sail is something of a compromise: In this case the compromise is between performance, longevity and price. We have gone for a cruising laminate, specifically Dimension Polyant's Hydranet (the radial, not the cross-cut), in mostly 7oz, but 8oz in the high load areas.

The sail is about 44'4" in the luff, 41'6" in the leech and 20' in the foot, giving an area of approximately 387 square feet / 132% overlap... so, basically, a #2 sized genoa for our boat. It is cut high enough so that on the furler, we shouldn't need to skirt it at all.

We are pretty keen to get out and have a sail.. probably this evening! Woo hoo.
G'Day Patrick,

Sounds like a really good choice, and I'm sure it will do you well. We'll be looking at a new main before too long, and the Hydranet Radial is just what I've been lusting after. Wish that they were not so bloody proud of it, tho'!
Who did you get to make it? Our favorite sailmaker up here has retired (didn't ask our permission either!) and we don't know anything about the chap who took his loft over...

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Morning Cove NSW, Oz

Tags
Racer Cruiser